Sheffield Made

RichardB

And a Round of Applause, please Ladies and Gentlemen for The Star of the Show, it's "Mister Pound-Coin" :rolleyes:

Very nice RichardB brings back memories of my time working in the cutlery trade.

Although I only spent a few years (11 to be precise) I still look at every knife, fork & spoon I use to see if the workmanship is up to Sheffield standards, it rarely is :(

The bolsters on that carving set I well remember, every bolster has to be cleaned up on a carborundum wheel and later polished on a felt wheel... happy days.

These scissors are superb to use, made by T W Eaton and Co, I don't know how old they are, any information gratefully received. The blades initally looked bent at the ends, but that the beauty of the manufacture, as you close the scissors, you can feel the blades moving against each other. Top notch quality feel about them, bought yesterday :rolleyes:

I do know of a Thomas Wigfall Eaton, cutler, present on 1852 trade directory ... I think these may just be older than that ...

CWS "Unity" stainless steel cutleft, 6 Dessert knives, Unremarkable, unused, on the end of the box it says Price 26/3 which I can't make a great deal of sense of ...

CWS = the Co-Op, I think

Unusual object, not entirely sure what it is, or was meant to be used for ...

This person doesn't know either :

The third item is also vintage and is made by, the stainless steel impressed with the maker's name - Wraggs, Harwood St. Sheffield England. I really don't know what it is - I feel it may be for stabbing pickled onions while my wife thinks it's some sort of paring tool. It has a registered number, on the other side of the stainless steel from the maker's details, which is 714316 and a patent number 253737.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-QUALITY-KITC...0QQcmdZViewItem

Unusual object, not entirely sure what it is, or was meant to be used for ...

assume its some kind of serving knife, rather like a cake slice, or could be for fish ... blunt

Not making any claims about this item and Sheffield - could be from anywhere, certainly been in the family for a lot of years ...

Not quite what they seem, at first glance, a set of six matching dessert knives. On closer inspection, four different manufacturers ...

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-341-1177948431.jpgA bit off topic but who remembers the rubber daggers, dug this one up in the garden,

Guest tsavo

Well, this one is a knife, obviously, anyone got any ideas about the date of manufacture, or know anything of the Company; some postings will be well known, some less so ... more to come ...

Details :

William Rodgers "I CUT MY WAY" on one side of blade

MADE IN SHEFFIELD

ENGLAND on the other side.

If you remember the site of the kettle, this was also the original site of the Joseph Rogers Factory. Am checking Trade Marks to see if there is something similar.

If you remember the site of the kettle, this was also the original site of the Joseph Rogers Factory. Am checking Trade Marks to see if there is something similar.

I do recall a building opposite the Penny Black, thats about it, "I remember a building" nothing more than that ...... :(

Joseph Haywood had a kettle for a trade mark, I have an old penknife with it on.

Joseph Haywood had a kettle for a trade mark, I have an old penknife with it on.

OOOoooOOO can we see it please ? The wife thinks I'm "sad", but I'm interested ....

Guest tsavo

Thanks for the info. That may be why I couldn't find a record of the kettle being a Rogers trademark.

Joseph Haywood knife

This was found under the floorboards in The Cuckoo on Gleadless Road

What, I wonder, makes this a pen-knife ? I would have thought the ability to be bent in half .... if not, then what kind of knife is it and what year ? Nice post !

What, I wonder, makes this a pen-knife ? I would have thought the ability to be bent in half .... if not, then what kind of knife is it and what year ? Nice post !

Technicaly i suppose it's a folding knife, what year, Haywood has a mention in 1833 dir.-a flood claim in 1861,from Garden Street,dont know how he managed that half way up the hill.

Dont know if and when they stopped trading.