Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Arbourthorne Playing Fields

144 posts in this topic

Posted

Pete Orton, well known local character, frequent drinker in the Fellbrigg and lifelong Sheffield United fan was to be man of the match

I bet you don't know him though wayneybabes as he was a real Unitedite. He wouldn't have liked your avitar :angry: , or the previous one :(

Pete was also one of my friends from the Norfolk school disabled unit.

Never let his disabilities stop him from doing anything, - going on holidays, playing football for charity, drinking in pubs.

A great guy.

Posted

i cannot remember where Arbourthorne EA/The Fellbrigg went on to play but in around 1985 to early to mid nineties, the pitch on this was occupied on sunday mornings by Vulcan Dynamoes FC (i know as my dad was manager lol ).Used to feel sorry for the players if the ball was kicked wide and went all the way down the hill to the bottom field lol

The bottom pitch where the changing rooms were was played on by Vulcan FC on saturdays and Norfolk Park T.A. on sundays

The Vulcan, another lost pub, now gone.

I would assume that like the Fellbrigg their football team, the Vulcan Dynamoes is long gone along with the pub they represented :(

Posted

Agree Dave, they are great pictures and bring back lots of memories - thank you.

Wayneybabes - ask your dad who he played for before becoming Manager of the Vulcan team, as I cant remember! Can remember him on many occasions coming back home covered in mud though. I did on a handful of occasions go and watch on a Sunday morning, but I think that was more to do with which player looked best in shorts rather than the more serious aspects of the actual game he he

As regards earlier comments on this thread, I can remember going to see Stuart Hall and his gang in 1971 - it was the talk of the Arbourthorne and people came from miles around to watch it - it was great fun lol

The thing I remember about it was my uncle Tony turning up at our house the day of the event with as many Cuneo's ice cream vans he could muster and making a record days takings. It was ice creams (Cuneo's of course) all round that day.

Posted

The Vulcan, another lost pub, now gone.

I would assume that like the Fellbrigg their football team, the Vulcan Dynamoes is long gone along with the pub they represented :(

...was.nt this pub the one with the large panoramic window(s) at the rear which had superb views over the football pitches ?

Posted

...was.nt this pub the one with the large panoramic window(s) at the rear which had superb views over the football pitches ?

thats correct, yes. Ideal for watching Vulcan FC on a cold morning. Just a shame i wasnt old enough at the time lol

Posted

Wayneybabes - ask your dad who he played for before becoming Manager of the Vulcan team, as I cant remember!

I asked him and even he cant remember, he had more clubs than Tiger Woods lol

not quite as many women mind lol

Posted

I bet you don't know him though wayneybabes as he was a real Unitedite. He wouldn't have liked your avitar :angry: , or the previous one :(

Pete was also one of my friends from the Norfolk school disabled unit.

Never let his disabilities stop him from doing anything, - going on holidays, playing football for charity, drinking in pubs.

A great guy.

I dont know him but my Dad and Sister recognised him straight away on the photo.

Also, the house on the photo second from left over the tree is the house i was born in, number 365 lol

Posted

Yes it had a large window on the side which faced down the field along the edge of Northern Avenue. seen here on theleft of the building

As the changing rooms were lower down they often played on the field closest to Northern Avenue and the Vulcan lounge bar window would give a great view of the match looking down the pitch from the top goalmouth. Looks a bit like this

Also, on 7 November 1999 they would have given a great view of the demolition of both of the Guildford tower blocks which stood on Norfolk Park estate just down from the corner of Northern Avenue / Spring Lane as the "safety exclusion zone" came half way up the field to just in front of the Vulcan.

Posted

I dont know him but my Dad and Sister recognised him straight away on the photo.

Also, the house on the photo second from left over the tree is the house i was born in, number 365 lol

wayneybabes birthplace on a DaveH picture :blink:

Most people on the Arbourthorne know Pete, - he is a real local character.

Posted

wayneybabes birthplace on a DaveH picture :blink:

Most people on the Arbourthorne know Pete, - he is a real local character.

Boozing in the Fellbrigg in 1981

Relaxing on holiday on Chesil Beach, Dorset, 1984

Posted

Boozing in the Fellbrigg in 1981

Relaxing on holiday on Chesil Beach, Dorset, 1984

I vaguely remember him too, now I have seen the photos - what happened to him Dave????

Posted

I vaguely remember him too, now I have seen the photos - what happened to him Dave????

Used to be a big mate of mine. We both went on holiday together to Devon and Cornwall in 1984 and spent hours drinking in the Fellbrigg.

Last saw him to talk to about 1988 when we moved onto the Intake.

Since then only seen him in passing at bus stops going down to Bramall Lane and the like.

Once saw his dad pushing him around in a wheelchair in the 1990's when his health was not so good.

Read a letter in The Star that he had written when the news was out that The Fellbrigg was to be converted from a pub into a church.

But apart from that I have no idea.

He used to work at Remploy but is older than me so would be retired by now.

Posted

Here is that window now, not looking so good these days and neither is that "superb view" either :(

Posted

Here is that window now, not looking so good these days and neither is that "superb view" either :(

What a crying shame :( Dont suppose the front looks any better either????

Can remember many a time going into the pub and looking out of those big windows at the back :)

Surprised no-one has come forward to convert it into a church or flats yet.

Dave : cant I tempt you and Stuart to somehow legally get in there and take some pics for the site - you never know there might be a few of the old regulars lurking in there lol

Posted

What a crying shame :(Dont suppose the front looks any better either????

Can remember many a time going into the pub and looking out of those big windows at the back :)

Surprised no-one has come forward to convert it into a church or flats yet.

Dave : cant I tempt you and Stuart to somehow legally get in there and take some pics for the site - you never know there might be a few of the old regulars lurking in there lol

Just for you suzy a picture of the front, - and as you suspect it doesn't look any better does it? :(

Another shut down boozer looking for a buyer.

I will add it to the ever growing list of pubs you want me and Stuart to pretend to buyers for just to get a nosey around inside with a camera. lol

Posted

Just for you suzy a picture of the front, - and as you suspect it doesn't look any better does it? :(

I will add it to the ever growing list of pubs you want me and Stuart to pretend to buyers for just to get a nosey around inside with a camera. lol

I'll not get in the Vulcan as I was once barred from there so they probably wouldn't let me in if the ban still stands.

It was a long time ago though.

I went in there with a couple of friends and the barmaid (who was off the Arbourthorne,had been to Norfolk School and knew exactly who I was :angry: ) asked me if I was 18.

I replied that I was 21 (because, funnily enough, at the time I was actually 21)

The Landlord thought that I was being a bit funny or awkward (which I wasn't) so he asked me how old I REALLY was, and when I repeated that I was 21 he decided to kick me out of the pub and told me not to bother coming back. :o

Didn't worry me though, - I just went down to the Fellbrigg instead, staff were a lot friendlier in there. lol

Posted

Thanks Dave - what a sorry sight - best we remember it in its hey dey (even if you did get barred). he he

Interesting that they have reduced the price B)

You and Stuart have got quite a challenge in front of you - an ever growing list of pubs - you are going to be very busy.

Posted

Thanks Dave - what a sorry sight - best we remember it in its hey dey (even if you did get barred). he he

Interesting that they have reduced the price B)

You and Stuart have got quite a challenge in front of you - an ever growing list of pubs - you are going to be very busy.

View of The Vulcan from the top of Cradock Road

Posted

View of The Vulcan from the top of Cradock Road

The view from the back of the Vulcan looks down into Algar Place which is a cul-de-sac with a roundabout.

Our original asbestos prefab was situated just about where that white fencing is in the back gardens of the current prefabs.

..and here it is in 1961 with me and my mum at the bedroom window

Posted

Dave - rather than pretending to be buyers couldnt you and Stuart just say you are doing a piece on pubs that are up for sale for the Sheffiled History site? I am sure the two of you could use your wisdom to coax the buyers into letting you in on that basis, so you take a few photos and report back : "Sheffield History Roving Reporters Strike Again"!!!! he he he he