Lancasterian Special School Shalesmoor and Wales Court

winter64

Can anyone give me any information about the Lancasterian Special School on Shalesmoor and an institiution or school - Wales Court.

Relative of my father in law was in Hollow Meadows and we assumed it was for mental illness, due to the timing, but trace on Indexers shows that he had paralysis and went to the Lancasterian Special School from 1916-1923.

He then left to go to Wales Court.

I have found the reasons for the name of the school, that Lancasterian was the surname of the man who founded the schools and their methods of teaching, and an extract from the St Philips booklet describing where is stood but thats it.

Cant find anything at all on Wales Court.

Does anyone have any further information on these 2 places?

winter64 said:
Can anyone give me any information about the Lancasterian Special School on Shalesmoor and an institiution or school - Wales Court.

Relative of my father in law was in Hollow Meadows and we assumed it was for mental illness, due to the timing, but trace on Indexers shows that he had paralysis and went to the Lancasterian Special School from 1916-1923.

I have found the reasons for the name of the school, that Lancasterian was the surname of the man who founded the schools and their methods of teaching, and an extract from the St Philips booklet describing where is stood but thats it.

Hi winter64.

Wales Court (not sure if it is still standing) was a residential hospital/intitution for people with mental problems,

it was on Manor Road in the village of Wales next to Kiveton,

known localy as The Manor, in this area .. link to Google maps

I think I may have an old photograph laying about somewhere.

Lancastrian School has been around a while ...

Joseph Henry Crookes, Master of Lancasterian School, home York Place (White's 1849)

Wales Court (The Manor)

Osbourne Family

The Osbornes continued to increase their estates in the area. Sir Thomas Osborne was created Earl of Danby by Charles II and Duke of Leeds by William III. The two manors of Wales were united in 1775 when Francis Godolphin Osborne, later 5th Duke of Leeds, having married Amelia, daughter of the Earl of Holderness in 1773, purchased the Earl’s manor of Wales.

On the death of the 7th Duke in 1859, the manor of Wales passed to his nephew, Sackville George Lane Fox, who became 12th Lord Conyers. His descendants lived at Wales Court which remained a home until the 1950s.

The house was then converted into a mental hospital which it remained until 1980.

I'm not so sure about the 1950's bit,

the Manor was definitely a hospital in 1930 as the photo shows

Thanks for the photo Steve its great to get a sense of the place it looks huge!

I agree it must have been a hospital earlier than 1950 as relative was there in about 1923. I can add it to his family tree info now he will be well chuffed.

Karen

Former Lancasterian Schools, Bowling Green Street.

(Sheffield College of Technology, Department of Science and Metallurgy in 1960)

Links to Picture Sheffield

Map estimated as 1954

Former Lancasterian Schools, Bowling Green Street.

(Sheffield College of Technology, Department of Science and Metallurgy in 1960)

Links to Picture Sheffield

Map estimated as 1954

Cheers chuck this is great

George TUCKER Lancastrian schoolmaster Gibraltar Street Baine's 1822

Elizabeth MATHER Governess, Lancastrian School h. 31 Meadow Street White's 1833

Christopher SMITH Master Lancastrian Infants School Bowling Green Street Pigot's 1841

Sarah SMITH Mistress, Lancastrian Infants School Bowling Green Street Pigot's 1841

William ASHLEY Master, Lancastrian School Gibraltar Street Pigot's 1841

Hannah HURST Mistress, Lancastrian School Gibraltar Street Pigot's 1841

Hannah HURST Lancastrian schoolmistress h. 61 Allen Street White's 1849

Richard MATTHEWS Teacher of the Lancastrian Infants School 41 Ebenezer Street White's 1849

Mary MATTHEWS Teacher of the Lancastrian Infants School 41 Ebenezer Street White's 1849

Samuel EMSLEY Lancastrian schoolmaster Gibraltar Street White's 1852

Hannah HURST Lancastrian schoolmistress h. 61 Allen Street White's 1852

Miss Clara CLOUGH School mistress (Lancastrian Board School) 65 Daniel Hill Street Kelly's 1893

Mr Thomas WHITEHEAD Schoolmaster Lancastrian School Bowling Green Street; h. 37 Harcourt Road Kelly's 1893

Miss Eleanor BELL Infants' Mistress, Lancastrian School Bowling Green; res, Thorpe Hesley, near Rotherham Kelly's 1893

Mrs Jane Alathea HIRST School mistress Lancastrian School Bowling Green Street; Marriott Road, Millhouses Kelly's 1893

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

George TUCKER Lancastrian schoolmaster Gibraltar Street Baine's 1822

Elizabeth MATHER Governess, Lancastrian School h. 31 Meadow Street White's 1833

Christopher SMITH Master Lancastrian Infants School Bowling Green Street Pigot's 1841

Sarah SMITH Mistress, Lancastrian Infants School Bowling Green Street Pigot's 1841

William ASHLEY Master, Lancastrian School Gibraltar Street Pigot's 1841

Hannah HURST Mistress, Lancastrian School Gibraltar Street Pigot's 1841

Hannah HURST Lancastrian schoolmistress h. 61 Allen Street White's 1849

Richard MATTHEWS Teacher of the Lancastrian Infants School 41 Ebenezer Street White's 1849

Mary MATTHEWS Teacher of the Lancastrian Infants School 41 Ebenezer Street White's 1849

Samuel EMSLEY Lancastrian schoolmaster Gibraltar Street White's 1852

Hannah HURST Lancastrian schoolmistress h. 61 Allen Street White's 1852

Miss Clara CLOUGH School mistress (Lancastrian Board School) 65 Daniel Hill Street Kelly's 1893

Mr Thomas WHITEHEAD Schoolmaster Lancastrian School Bowling Green Street; h. 37 Harcourt Road Kelly's 1893

Miss Eleanor BELL Infants' Mistress, Lancastrian School Bowling Green; res, Thorpe Hesley, near Rotherham Kelly's 1893

Mrs Jane Alathea HIRST School mistress Lancastrian School Bowling Green Street; Marriott Road, Millhouses Kelly's 1893

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

Registered to Sheffield records online yesterday after half an hour trying to figure out how! and I cant find any blinkin thing on it!!! I dont find it very user friendly at all.

Guest skeets

The only one l know hollow meadows was run by Nuns in that era

Moorfields. Plan of the ground between Green Lane and Gibraltar. 1824. By John Leather, land surveyor.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04168&pos=105&action=zoom&id=104372

Shows: Green Lane, Dun Street, New Street [Dun Fields or Acorn Street], Ebenezer Square, Ebenezer Chapel, Bowling Green Street, Hunters Lane, Ebenezer Street, Spring Street, Cotton Mill Walk, Lancastrian School Gibraltar, Chapel Street, Moor Fields [Moorfields], school, Allen Street, Holmes Lane.

Owners / tenants marked: Abraham Ibbotson, Thomas Cornshaw, James Parkinson, Richard Holmes, John Brown, James Jenkinson, Richard Holmes, and Joshua Fowler.

The property where Lancastrian School is shown on 1824 Map is No. 56, John Hinchliff on the 1782 Map. 

The Earl of Surrey’s tenements in Long Croft, Gibraltar [Street] and Bower Springs 1782.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04123&pos=100&action=zoom&id=103838

The names of a later date have been added by Josiah Fairbank, and the line of Russell Street and Green Lane, and Bowling Green Street, added.

Kelham Wheel marked.

List of tenants given: John Anderton, - Lenthwaite, Hannah Patten, John Hughes, Joseph Broomhead, William Thompson, Robert Owen, Robert Milnes, John Stacey, Charles Kelk, Widow Jewel / William Jewet, Joshua Jackson, John Tricket, John Henfrey, John Ashwell, John Brownell, George Goodlad, John Ellis, Ruth Brewster, George Dyson, Joseph Dyson, Widow Jackson, Thomas Francis, Joseph Yeadon, Mary Yeadon, John Brownell, William Fowler, Benjamin Wood, Josh. Staniland, Jon. Wilde, Mary Yeadon, Thomas Kippax, Thomas Pinder, Thomas Pindar, Ellis Morton, Godfrey Rowley, William Bradshaw, Robert Dore, Stephen Gibson, Matthew Ingram, William Simpson, Overseers of Sheffield Poor, The Town of Sheffield, Joseph Ashforth, John Ibberson, John Goodall, Charles Stewardson, Charles Townsend, George Wilkinson, Elizabeth Holden, Joseph Swan, Thomas Bell, John Parkin, John Taylor, John Hinchcliff, John Brownell, William - , Jonn. Wa-, John Read, Joseph Bower.

Gibraltar Street - draft of the widening scheme, 1837

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04122&pos=84&action=zoom&id=103833

Marked: Bowling Green Street; Lancastrian School; Gibraltar Street; Trinity Street; Copper Street; Cupola Lane; Bower Spring; Furnace Hill; West Bar Green. 

If this is looking towards Gibraltar Street then the old Lancastrian School could be featured on the left. 

Drinking Fountain at the junction of Shalesmoor/ Gibraltar Street/ Allen Street and Bowling Green Street, looking towards businesses including Thomas Nixon and son, pawnbroker, Gibraltar Street. 

s19331.jpg.32fd862e60c7dd38153939e7276ba9c6.jpgs19331

A clearer image, but is it the old Lancastrian School? 

Gibraltar Street from the junction with Trinity Street (right) showing businesses including No. 220/4 Thomas Nixon and Son, pawnbrokers, Midland Railway Co., parcels receiving office and Nos. 204/6 The Oriental Tea Co., Nichols and Co. 

s16240.jpg.43def8a26eda784c72bc9b141c372fd0.jpgs16240

IMG_20240220_225303.jpg.b5b701c306a03606650bb6eea0c046dc.jpg

Lancastrian Schools. 

1862 White's Directory

"Lancastrian School, Gibraltar Street are attended by about 500 boys and girls. The School for the former was established 1809 and the latter 1815; S. Emsley; M. A. Norton and C. Riley, teachers." 

Samuel Emsley, master Lancastrian School, Gibraltar Street, h. 8 Clarkson Street. 

Mary Jane Norton, mistress, Lancastrian School, Gibraltar Street, 53 Wentworth Terrace. 

Christiana Riley, infant teacher, Lancastrian School, Gibraltar Street, h. Park wood Springs. 

Gibraltar Street. 

190, Cadman Thomas, shoemaker

Lancastrian Schools

204, Fields Richard, butcher. 

1879 White's Directory. 

The Lancastrian Schools were originally established in 1809 in Gibraltar Street, but were sold and new schools erected 1866 on a portion of the playground in Bowling Green Street at a cost of about £5,000. The buildings which have lately been enlarged and improved, are constructed of brick with stone quoins and dressings and besides boys, girls and infants schools, rooms and classrooms etc, there are excellent lavatories and other convieniences. 

Lancasterian Schools (elevation towards Bowling Green Street, Sheffield) 1861. Architect: William and Son.arc01249.jpg.60a7791de9a0d1fdc81a42843f1239fe.jpgarc01249   Ink and wash on paper. 

Original at Sheffield Archives SY20/B4/5.