Clubland Sheffield

Guest JanineCope

Guest JanineCope

As I had the misfortune to be born In Kiveton Park getting into town was a bit of a bind, hourly busses and it took 45 minutes, last bus left Pond Street at 10.45 :(

Friday night was usually spent at the Esquire dancing, chucking Crazy Foam and watching Batman in their tv room. Saturday was meeting at te Sidewalk or La Fav during the day then the Mojo lol and I'll never forget the feeling of excitement as we bussed it up Burngreave Rd. As my parents were against the whole idea it was all the more attractive. Sunday night was often a trip to Dobcroft Rd. youth club where the music was pretty good and good looking lads a plenty.

When Down Broadway opened we used to sneak in, still in school uniform, ('cos we had Friday afternoons off) for a laugh before a shopping trip to "Lift Up Your Skirt and Fly" or some other alternative fashion house. If money was tight it was a couple of yards of cheap material, a few hours sewing and a new outfit for the weekend. The quality was so poor it usually dropped to pieces after a weekend's wear but who cared? At least it was an original garment albeit a lime green catsuit with purple sequins or a little blue/white number fashioned from my grandad's old pyjamas.

Usually no alcoholic beverages were consumed, no illegal substances smoked but we still managed to have a brilliant time.

Anyone else remember doing the same?