Sweets and Chocolate bars of the past !

Sheffield History

Remember the old sweets and chocolate bars from when you were a kid ?

You can still buy most of those old sweets too !!

oooh this has brought back some really odd memories. does anyone remember mint cracknel it was a chocolate bar but with sort of like minty crispy bits my nan used to buy it us every time she came to visit. we also used to have to walk to barnards at the manor top to get my dad some rileys toffe rolls they were lovely so we never minded what the weather was like lol. I also remeber bulls eyes,creamline toffee,and we used to have a little cloth bag with little bitsof sugar coated bubbly in it but cant remember what it was called!!!! barnards was an absloute kids dream for sweets but you dont seem to see many shops now selling sweets out of a jar they are all prepacked which is a shame. storks on mansfield road was another good one to visit for two ounces of floral gums and cherry lips ha ha wow and old joes where the 95 bus terminus used to be on birley moor road.

oooh this has brought back some really odd memories. does anyone remember mint cracknel it was a chocolate bar but with sort of like minty crispy bits.

Definitely

I really loved that stuff - I could eat some right now !!

Guest coffee cup

lol lol

Galaxy counters, they were a bit like cadburys choc buttons but smaller.

The nearest thing to them now is minstrels without the crispy shell.

Traffic light lollypops (used to change colour as you sucked) - hence the name

Guest transit

What about the large biscuits called Dundee"s . I remember having them at breaktime at school . They were like a large digestive biscuit with chocolate on one side and DUNDEE printed on the other. They were around 4" round and 1/2 " thick and seemed huge as a akid. I think most schools sold them at lunchbreaks , but you couldnt buy them in shops.

Good call

For some strange reason we used to have them for pudding at school in the 70's - covered in strawberry yoghurt ?

Guest moira

Anyone remember the boiled sweet factory that was in the hill at the back of midland station, it stood on the roadside in front of where the flats (Parkhill I think the flats are called called) are now. They made the best boiled sweet fishes, covered in sugar, used to last ages. (They didn't rot my teeth) :rolleyes:

Curly Wurlys.

Is it me or are they a lot smaller these days?

they are a lot smaller

Remember when wagons wheels were as big as wagon wheels?

Anyone remember the boiled sweet factory that was in the hill at the back of midland station, it stood on the roadside in front of where the flats (Parkhill I think the flats are called called) are now. They made the best boiled sweet fishes, covered in sugar, used to last ages. (They didn't rot my teeth) :rolleyes:

Wasn't that Dixons? Of mint rock fame

Chipmunk - Oxo flavoured crisps

Symbol savouries - you could eat on there on or with cheese

Tiger nuts

Guest dpotts

Remember the old sweets and chocolate bars from when you were a kid ?

You can still buy most of these old sweets too !!

Click the links and have a look:

I guess I am SOL on this as they wont ship to the US.

yes they still do flying saucers and sherbert dips. what about chocolate logs and white mice :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yes they still do flying saucers and sherbert dips. what about chocolate logs and white mice :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm sure the white mice were responsible for the chocolate logs lol

Very obscure one, tested in South Yorkshire in the mid 70s, Almond Islands (maybe posted b4), damned expensive for the time ...

Walkers Nonsuch Brazil Nut Toffee, managed to buy some at the weekend, current cost about £20 per pound :(

Guest coffee cup

Crackerjack that's a blast from the past, I remember they were in a box- was it blue?

I think they were based on the American style sweets or should that be candy ?

Swisskit

advertising slogan ="Are you willing for a shilling

Will you risk it for a swisskit"

Nutty Bar

A caramel log with peanuts stuck to the outside, never really took off, probably because it looked like a turd after you had eaten too many peanuts.

;-)

Guest coffee cup

Wasn't it "You can risk it for a Swiskit" ?

Does anyone remember Big One. Advert was some bloke in a cowboy outfit with a tall hat, think slogan was

"Big One Big One, sticks out a mile", it was I Think a tofffe thing a bit like a flake, I guess this must be around 1970ish. don't think they were around for that long.

Wasn't it "You can risk it for a Swiskit" ?

Does anyone remember Big One. Advert was some bloke in a cowboy outfit with a tall hat, think slogan was

"Big One Big One, sticks out a mile", it was I Think a tofffe thing a bit like a flake, I guess this must be around 1970ish. don't think they were around for that long.

am not surprised with a slogan like that!!! lollol lol

Guest plain talker

the tag lines for "swisskit" which IIRC was a sort of muesli bar, was definitely "Would you risk it, for a swisskit?"

The advert onTV would show a bloke, ski-ing down a mountain getting into all sorts of scrapes, getting all sorts of *wince* *ouch* injuries whacked by tree-branches etc.

At the end, after all he'd endured, all he got was a measly muesli bar! huh! :lol:, and he 'd say "I'd risk it for a Swisskit!"

barmy, barmy ad. The bars weren't bad, even if they were a bit gimmicky. but they didn't seem to be in the shops for long, they seemed to die a death.

my two fave sweets/ chocolates from my childhood were the Galaxy counters (naked minstrels! :o ) and that sweet-tobacco made out of coconut, called "pirate's treasure" or "Pirate's gold"! it came in a packet just like the plastic pouches that real baccy comes in, today, the packet was red, the contents looked like real baccy. It was toasted coconut, IIRC, and it was delicious. I still love coconut, to this day.

Guest coffee cup

No in that case I wouldn't risk it for a Swiskit, although my memory does play tricks on me I still think I can see adverts that said "You can risk it for a swisket", but then again I am gettin on a bit I get my bus pass in 17 years I am not blonde but even now I do tend to have senior moments. :blink::(lollol:blink: :blink: