Sweets and Chocolate bars of the past !

Sheffield History

Can anyone help with this one. Tiny pieces of concentrated liquorice, came in a little square tin, called something like Imps? Possibly sold as a laxative rather than sweets, they were so strong!

Definitely do remember them, always regarded them as 'grown-ups lollies' used to disguise the smell of cigarettes on the breath or something. Even the little flat tin was like carrying a snuff box. They were the choice of would-be intellectuals, the other kids sucked polo's or chewed fruit gums.

Definitely do remember them, always regarded them as 'grown-ups lollies' used to disguise the smell of cigarettes on the breath or something. Even the little flat tin was like carrying a snuff box. They were the choice of would-be intellectuals, the other kids sucked polo's or chewed fruit gums.

That sounds like a terminal cycle for smokers.

1 ) Smoke a cigarette, often in the toilet

2 ) Take a laxative sweet to remove the smell of cigarettes

3 ) Need to use the toilet due to the laxative

4 ) What else do you do in the toilet while being purged by the laxative, oh yes, light up another cigarette, and so back to step 1 )

That sounds like a terminal cycle for smokers.

1 ) Smoke a cigarette, often in the toilet

2 ) Take a laxative sweet to remove the smell of cigarettes

3 ) Need to use the toilet due to the laxative

4 ) What else do you do in the toilet while being purged by the laxative, oh yes, light up another cigarette, and so back to step 1 )

vicious cycle!

vicious cycle!

Terminal cycle

Smoking can seriously damage your health

Smoking can cause death

Smoking can cause lung cancer

I have never smoked but in Britain all cigarette packets carry warnings with this type of wording by law.

I suppose with the widespread and well known dangers of smoking these days that is probably true in Tasmania and most of the rest of the World

Terminal cycle

Smoking can seriously damage your health

Smoking can cause death

Smoking can cause lung cancer

I have never smoked but in Britain all cigarette packets carry warnings with this type of wording by law.

I suppose with the widespread and well known dangers of smoking these days that is probably true in Tasmania and most of the rest of the World

Yes we get all those messages on cigarette packets, the anti smoking lobby is very active here and we get new and stricter regulations being introduced on a regular basis. The latest proposals are for plain packaging on all tobacco products and a smoking ban in vehicles where children are present.

I'm a non smoker so its easy to say I'm not affected but I have a son who smokes so every one of those messages and images is a painful reminder to me.

Guest Barbara M

Is "dram shop" a Scottish expression for an off licence? Off licences sell alcoholic drinks away from a main public bar more like a shop would. So in Scotland would a dram shop sell "a wee dram" meaning a single measure of spirit such as Scotch whiskey A dram is an old unit of mass and also of liquid volume related to fluid ounces. In the context of alcoholic spirits a dram is 30ml which would be about the right volume for whiskey measures.

When we kept our first pub in the east end of Sheffield in 1971, the public bar was called the " dram shop " !! Also a saying of my grandmother's , if the family were all talking at once was " be quiet , it sounds like a dram shop in here " . :)

Yes we get all those messages on cigarette packets, the anti smoking lobby is very active here and we get new and stricter regulations being introduced on a regular basis. The latest proposals are for plain packaging on all tobacco products and a smoking ban in vehicles where children are present.

I'm a non smoker so its easy to say I'm not affected but I have a son who smokes so every one of those messages and images is a painful reminder to me.

Also a non smoker and always have been, and very much convinced that I lost my father and grandfather prematurely (although they were both in their 70's) due to smoking related illness,

Very similar proposals have been made in Britain too.

When we kept our first pub in the east end of Sheffield in 1971, the public bar was called the " dram shop " !! Also a saying of my grandmother's , if the family were all talking at once was " be quiet , it sounds like a dram shop in here " . :)

So a dram shop could be anywhere that sells intoxicating drink then, - even a pub.

Jap desserts anyone?

They were one of my favourite.

You can still buy these at various outlets but like most of them they never taste the same.

I've bought jab desserts , sherbert lemons which are too sweet now and not half as acidy as

they used to be.

Butter scotch peanuts which are shaped like a monkey nut and once had a peanut inside

at each end, not anymore. It's just the shape of a monkey nut now minus peanuts.

They don't make em like they used to.

Guest busy lizzy

I agree they don't make them like they used to.

Then again everything tasted better in my childhood memories.

Looking at savory snacks can anyone remember Cheesies?

They were gorgeous savory crispy biscuit latticed outer shells that contained a tasty cheese filling.

These were the ultimate cheesy snack but not many people remember them nowadays

Guest Daniel Green

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Galaxy counters, they were a bit like cadburys choc buttons but smaller.

The nearest thing to them now is minstrels without the crispy shell.

Traffic light lollypops (used to change colour as you sucked) - hence the name

seriously galaxy counters??? they arnt very old and they still sell them everywhere now

Guest Daniel Green

were the aztec bars replaced by the Double Decker bar?

My dad's fave were the coffee flavoured walnut whips, my mum's faves were either Frys five centres fondant bar, or their dark chocolate with mint (was it the mint creme? Chocolate creme?))

I always saved the coconut wheels (pink and yellow) out of my liquorice allsorts for my granny as they were her favourites.

even now i love the frys orange creme but very hard to find these days