Telephone Box Challenge

Stuart0742

To start off

Abbey Lane near the junction with Hutcliffe Wood Rd, this box is in need of some TLC but there is still a phone inside.

Do they have to be 'in service'? I know one in a garden, full of plants!

Lets try for the ones in service and see how many we can find

Guest tsavo

Back in the late '90s, there was one on Cross Lane, Crookes at the bottpm of Truswell Avenue. I shot a film for BT in Sheffield and this featured in an important scene. Mind you, we had to go out the night before and repaint it! Is it still there? Hope so.

Inspired by a recent topic about Red Phoneboxes in Non Sheffield History

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=10918

How many old type boxes (K6) are left in Sheffield, not many I think

So the challenge is to find them and photograph them.

Crikey,

I found an old long forgotten thread which started as a piece of non Sheffield history trivia and added a bit to it for fun and asked my more knowledgable ex-telecom friend for a bit of help with information and all of a sudden it gets a lot of posts and then becomes the inspiration for a new challenge.

How often do we manage to inspire each other?

Guest transit

8 Red phone boxes so far, there must be a few more

....what about the "modern 70's style" K8 . Any of these left in Sheffield ???? Seem to remember a few around the Norfolk Park estate........

....what about the "modern 70's style" K8 . Any of these left in Sheffield ???? Seem to remember a few around the Norfolk Park estate........

Like hens teeth I think lol

Guest transit

Don't think there was one on Norfolk Park, see my comments in the other phone box thread.

....over the bridge , on the other side of the "Jervis Lum" pub , around '74-5 , near the bus stop ....????? :unsure:

....over the bridge , on the other side of the "Jervis Lum" pub , around '74-5 , near the bus stop ....????? :unsure:

Oh, down there near the church and medical centre. Don't know about that, could have been. There may even have been one near the other bridge near the Horse and Lion and the dentists now you come to mention it.

Guest transit

Oh, down there near the church and medical centre. Don't know about that, could have been. There may even have been one near the other bridge near the Horse and Lion and the dentists now you come to mention it.

....think there was a couple on the "chip shop"end of the parade of shops just above the Jervis ?

....think there was a couple on the "chip shop"end of the parade of shops just above the Jervis ?

Don't remember the one on City Road / Park grange being a K8, although it may have been replaced by one after 1977 when we decided to get our own phone.

So were the ones lower down the estate near the Jervis K8 models?

Back in the late '90s, there was one on Cross Lane, Crookes at the bottpm of Truswell Avenue. I shot a film for BT in Sheffield and this featured in an important scene. Mind you, we had to go out the night before and repaint it! Is it still there? Hope so.

Tsavo, fraid it's gone.

Guest tsavo

Thanks for checking sando.....nothing lasts forever.....though a cast iron telephone box is a pretty substantial thing. Probably a feature of someone's garden now! Will try and pull a still off the video, if I can find it!

Drove past a Red Box today, I did not have time to stop.

Junction of Saltbox Ln/ Halifax Rd/ Penistone Rd and Wheel Ln

Looked quite derelict may be due for removal.

Is there anybody close by to take a photo.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=grenoside...land,%20S35%208

Drove past yesterday as well on my way to a gig in Hoyland. I agree it doesn't look as if it's going to be there for long. Sorry I didn't have chance to snap it. I was right on it by the time I remembered.

Google Street View stops a few yards down the road. I s'pose you noticed that.

Drove past yesterday as well on my way to a gig in Hoyland. I agree it doesn't look as if it's going to be there for long. Sorry I didn't have chance to snap it. I was right on it by the time I remembered.

Google Street View stops a few yards down the road. I s'pose you noticed that.

I go pass it every Friday [Grenoside chippy] I'll take my camera next Friday.

Also there's another two up the road from me, one still in working order.The camera will come out when the rain stops. :unsure: