Norton Water Tower

Sheffield History

Did anyone go up the water tower as a kid with school ?

I did but can't remember it

But here's an absolutely fantastic picture of what's inside it by Midori no Saru (and before you laugh and shout 'water ?' at me - take a look at the picture !)

Guest transit

Hi Admin -I remember going up the water tower as a young boy with my grandad in the early seventies -cant really remember the inside like the picture , but what an amazing view of Sheffield from the rooftop balcony on a clear summers day! Found a great picture of the tower at www.gleadless.net/ - click on ariel veiws , then Hemsworth 2006. Can anyone remember the fairground which came twice a year opposite the tower , beside the cricket pitch during the seventies? Again go to www. gleadless.net/ -click on ariel views , then Oakes Park and the Oakes 1980 - to see the last few fairground lorries departing .You can also see the bottom of the water tower top left . Happy times!.

I went to the fair loads !!

I remember the music they played was Kelly Marie - "feels like I'm in love" and "popcorn" (can't remember who that was by)

Love it and no sign of trouble

I would absolutely love to go up the water tower with my camera on a summers afternoon for a few hours..

But here's an absolutely fantastic picture of what's inside it by Midori no Saru (and before you laugh and shout 'water ?' at me - take a look at the picture !)

Absolutely did this.

Amazing views from the top. Can't remember how we got up there, but certainly walked all the way down - with the tank all around. There wasn't actually much to see inside- as it's really only pumps and pipes.

Guest mega_monty

Yes went in the early 80's on a school trip when I used to be at Ballifield School, went up to the top and out on the balcony to view the spectactular views, would love to be able to go again with a decent camera

Guest mega_monty

Ballifield School sounds familiar - whereabouts was that ?

Its in Handsworth, on Handsworth Grange Road on the Ballifield estate just up the road from Handsworth Grange School (Beaver Hill School)

I went to the fair loads !!

I remember the music they played was Kelly Marie - "feels like I'm in love" and "popcorn" (can't remember who that was by)

Love it and no sign of trouble

I would absolutely love to go up the water tower with my camera on a summers afternoon for a few hours..

Feels Like I'm in Love - Kelly Marie (but written by Ray Dorset, from Mungo Jerry !)

Popcorn - Hot Butter (MonkeySpanner label, early 70's)

Guest garymell

I was thinking about the tower today as I walked in Greaves park, thats what led me to this site. I went up the tower as a kid fantastic view from the top, and no phone masts up there either. This would have been in the seventies I think.

Guest plain talker

Absolutely did this.

Amazing views from the top. Can't remember how we got up there, but certainly walked all the way down - with the tank all around. There wasn't actually much to see inside- as it's really only pumps and pipes.

There was a lift that also ran up the central core of the tower.

The tower featured large in my childhood, as I spent my first nine years on Gleadless Valley, attending Constable road school, literally a couple of hundred yards from the water tower.

But here's an absolutely fantastic picture of what's inside it

Amazing! I've got a leaflet advertising the opening of the tower in 1961- lowfi copy here

I'm interested in the history of Norton lees in general - if anyone shares this strange hobby, please get in touch - I'm new to this forum.

Guest lingus

Hi Nick

Have you sent this to Active 8? just wondering if they would be interested in publishing it.

jeff

Guest plain talker

oh, man that is just such a fantastic photo, it's like looking up the inside of a church tower, isn't it? I love the beam of light coming in from the left.

It's very nice but I don't think that it's the inside of the Norton Water tower. The configuration of windows is all wrong.

Take a look at the photo below

post-1633-1204981342.jpg