Wincobank & Blackburn WMC

dunsbyowl1867

Is it not Wincobank & Blackburn wmc i used to be member many years ago and my dad before me.

My Grandad & Dad were members too

You are right there gibbo - my mistake (I typed Carbrook rather than Blackburn - have now changed)

Guest beatlejuice

My Dad & Grandad were members of Wincobank & Blackburn WMC. I started to go there with my Dad & Mum at a very early age. My Dad had an allotment near the club and when he'd done his work there on Sunday morning we would go to the dinner time session at the club. He'd have a few pints. I'd have a few vimtos and some crisps. We would watch the "turn" and play bingo then catch the number 4 bus back to where we lived on Brightside Lane. We would go back to the club with my Mother at night to see the "turn" again and play bingo again. We would also go some Saturday nights as well. Other Saturday nights we would go to the Adelphi picture house on Attercliffe.

I became a member of Wincobank & Blackburn club in 1965 when I was 18 years old. The Secretary at this time was Don Peacock and the concert secretary was Doug Jessop. Doug was very good at his job. If there was any noise from the audience while the "turn" was on he would interupt the act and warn everbody that if the noise continued he would stop the act. They had some good acts at the club. Gerry Dorsey started his career at clubs like this. He changed his name to Englebert Humpadinck. During the 60's they had some good groups play there like The Fortunes and John O'hara and his Playboys. It's a shame that WMC's like this hit on hard times and close. I suppose that everything has its time.Pubs are experiencing this now.

Hi Fellow SH Members and Guests just had this Photo lent me of Wincobank and Blackburn Club Committee sadly no date as yet.

Left to Right standing ?, ?, Doug Jessop, Alf Edwards. Harry Fieldhouse. ?, Arnold Challoner.

Left to Right seated Harry Peacock, Herbert Appleton, Frank Tony Bellamy, ?,