Sheffield Schools

Stuart0742

Now this will tell the age of many of us. RichardB is much younger than I thought.

I also went to Chaucer, was Mr Newman there when you were there?

Hi ukelele lady. Could not get through on the post with the photos so I will try this one. The first photo would be Chaucers first prefects, taken before the end of summer term 1958. The second taken about the same time shows what looks like Fred Pass [ middle row 2nd from left ] I was in the year below them and left Easter 1959. Regards, W/E. P S Did you receive my P M ?

Hi ukelele lady. Could not get through on the post with the photos so I will try this one. The first photo would be Chaucers first prefects, taken before the end of summer term 1958. The second taken about the same time shows what looks like Fred Pass [ middle row 2nd from left ] I was in the year below them and left Easter 1959. Regards, W/E. P S Did you receive my P M ?

I recognise a few faces but cant put names to them, the one you thought was Fred Pass don't think he made it to Chaucer, would be Les Askham now no longer with us, with Brian Christian bottom left.

Bit battered but this would be Fred Pass' class 1957 Hillfoot

Hi Neddy. Top row 3rd from left ? W/E.

Hi Neddy. Top row 3rd from left ? W/E.

Thats the man, think thats Len Askham pulling the face, the one second row down second right you should recognise, he lived up your road opposite side then moved on to Pickering Rd.

Looks like we have got 3 very keen graduates of Chaucer here.

How about you starting a Chaucer History thread like the ones for various other schools on this site?

Thats the man, think thats Len Askham pulling the face, the one second row down second right you should recognise, he lived up your road opposite side then moved on to Pickering Rd.

Initials M C ?

Thats him lol
Well, bloody hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems like only yesterday that you were flying around P W S in that little Ford 8 van of Fletchers. W/E.

Well, bloody hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems like only yesterday that you were flying around P W S in that little Ford 8 van of Fletchers. W/E.

Thankfully I'm not MC lol but who could miss that face, it's like the 'who said pie' picture that was in Butlers cafe.

Thankfully I'm not MC lol but who could miss that face, it's like the 'who said pie' picture that was in Butlers cafe.
So were you in the same class as M C, or even the same school? By the way, according to his book `Weerz me mam? the late Fred Pass never went to Chaucer, so he must have been two years older than me. What a tragedy that was. W/E.

Guest skeets

Taken from the topic "What School did you go to" here is a list of Secondary Schools and associated members. This could be the start of your list DaveH

Secondary School - Member - Year Left

Abbeydale Grange - Plain Talker - 1978

Ashleigh School - DaveH - 1974

Birkdale - RichardS - 1991

Bradfield - Zeb - 1983

Brooke - Hutch - 1967

Brooke - Knightstemplar - 1983

Burngreave Girls - Lynn.55 - 1969

Central Tech - PaulH - 1967 .> 1970

Chaucer - Waterside Echo - 1959

Chaucer - RichardB - 1980

Chaucer - PGMetcalf - 1983

Chaucer - Ukelele Lady - ????

City - Linzi - 1991

City Grammar - Lyn 1 - 1957

Colley - Dewtily Dave - 1960

Colley - Dunsbyowl - 1981

De La Salle - Gasman - 1958

De La Salle - Dex - 1972

De La Salle - Poppychristina - 1960??

Earl Marshal - Eightbelow - 1983

Ecclesfield Grammar - Buxtongent - 1958

Firth Park Grammar - Bayleaf - 1964

Firth Park Grammar - MickJJ - 1972

Firth Park Grammar - Davecanning - 1972

Frecheville Comp - Draco - 1983

Frecheville Comp - Stalborg - 1983

Gleadless Valley - Markbaby - 1976

Hatfield House - Syruo - 1963

Hatfield House - Bemerchez - 1969

High Storrs - Plain Talker - 1980

Hinde House - Johnm - 1960

Hinde House - Texxuk - 1969

Hurlfield Boys - PDB215 - 1966

King Ecgbert - Ellesse - 1962

King Ecgbert - Chris Akabusi - 2003

King Edward VII - Huthwaite - 1977

Norfolk - SteveHB - 1970

Norfolk - Stuart0742 - 1972

Norfolk - DaveH - 1972

Norfolk - SheffBlade - 1990 > 1992

Norfolk - ShellyBarnes - 1976

Norfolk - Shely - 1979

Norfolk - Wayneybabes - 1990

Notre Dame - Tommo - 1959

Sir John Fisher - Paulh- 1965 > 1967

Tapton - Wessie Mick - 1976

Tapton - Pete61 - 1978

Thornbridge - Vox - 1964

Thornbridge - Smiffster - 1983

Wisewood - mrsc - 1983

Wybourn - Cads Kelly - 1969

Any additions, errors or comments post here

my first school Broomhill [ still there] my last All Saints Boys demolished alongwith All Saints Church , which l have said before deplorable Skeets

Guest skeets

What I am unsure of is when the 13+ finished

eh you lads theres a queue waiting to tell you what school they went to he hehe he lol

Is there a definitive A-Z of Sheffield Schools somewhere ?

Still working on that one Richard.

Problem is there have been so many schools come and go over the years, change their name to something, knocked down and rebuilt in a slightly different place etc that it is difficult to put the list together.

We really need a firm date to base the list on Stuart0742 and myself had thought of using 1969 as the key date, the year that all Sheffield schools became Comprehensive and the 11+ exam (already scrapped a year previously) in Junior schools no longer served any purpose.

However, this date is only 40 years ago and may not be "historic" enough for everyones liking, many older schools had already gone by then. Like the school a close relative of mine refers to as "The ragged-arsed school for waifs and strays" and then insists that this was its real name!

Sure we will come up with something, - eventually.

I recognise a few faces but cant put names to them, the one you thought was Fred Pass don't think he made it to Chaucer, would be Les Askham now no longer with us, with Brian Christian bottom left.

Hi Neddy

Yes you're right it is Len Askham, his younger brother was in my class.

The second picture down includes, 4th from left middle row David Yates who was part of Friends of

Wardsend Cemetery.

Middle row 3rd from right Albert Parks.

UKL

Blue Coat Boys Charity School

Thomas ALLEN master of charity school Church Yard Gales & Martin 1787

Samuel WARDLE Master, Blue Coat Boys School East Parade Pigot's 1841

W. BALL Governor, Blue Coat Boys' Charity School Psalter Lane White's 1911

Mrs BALL Matron, Blue Coat Boys' Charity School Psalter Lane White's 1911

W BALL Governor, Sheffield Blue Coat Boys' Charity School Psalter Lane White's 1919

Miss TOFT Matron, Sheffield Blue Coat Boys Psalter Lane White's 1919

B T JOHN Assistant master, Sheffield Blue Coat Boys Psalter Lane White's 1919

Isaac WATSON Assistant master, Sheffield Blue Coat Boys Psalter Lane White's 1919

Henry W CHESHAM governor Sheffield Blue Coat School Psalter Lane Kelly's 1925

Mrs Henry W CHESHAM matron Sheffield Blue Coat School Psalter Lane Kelly's 1925

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

That's one big gap between 1841 and 1911 needs filling in ...

Free Grammar School

Charles Chadwick Vicar Tinsley & Master Free Grammar School Campo Lane Gales & Martin 1787

Anthony Robinson Usher of Free Grammar School Campo Lane Gales & Martin 1787

Rev. William White Head Master of Free Grammar School Townhead Street Baine's 1822

Rev. George Harrison Second master of the Free Grammar School 6 Gell Street Baine's 1822

Rev. William White Headmaster, Academies, Seminaries and Public Schools (Free Grammar School) Crook's Moor Pigot's 1828-9

Rev. Thomas Pruen (probably Bowen, see below) Second master, Academies, Seminaries and Public Schools (Free Grammar School Crook's Moor Pigot's 1828-9

Rev Percival Bowen Head Master of The Grammer School h. Devonshire Street White's 1833 [Grammer ??]

Rev. Percival Bowen Head master of Free Grammar School St George's Square; h. Norton Lees White's 1849

-----------------------------------

I'm sure someone can dig out School related references from Mr Leader ... Reminiscenses and all that. Probably already posted somewhere on here, needs an expert rummager ........Tsavo ! :rolleyes:

South Street, Park

Frances Cartledge Day school South Street, Park White's 1833

---------------------------

There's a trend developing here, all mine are date 17XX and 18XX, who would have guessed.

Walkley

George Collier Schoolmaster Walkley; h.George Street, Philadelphia White's 1833

By implication, if he lived at Philadelphia, the School was at Walkley.

Fig Tree Lane

William Cowley Day school 9 Fig Tree Lane White's 1833

-------------------------

I'd love to know more about this one.