Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

DaveH

Had a walk down there this morning and took this picture.

Taken from where the sand pits were just below the caretakers house
The building on the right is the rear of the old garage which is on the corner of Cradock Road and City Road, with its main entrance onto City Road.
The building next to it seems to fit Tozzins description of being prefabricated and having a corrugated asbestos roof.
It seems to meet and possibly be joined to the garage. I couldn't get around the other side due to this being a very muddy part of the field and we have had some wet weather lately, - but I will try again in better conditions.
From Spring Lane you can see an entrance door on the other side, but taken with my phone so no long telephoto or zoom to get a decent image.
The building is very close to the back gardens of the houses on City Road. If it is a T shaped building access to the base of the T, as shown on the map, will be very tight.

I still think that while I was at school that building was used as storage for things like hurdles, goalposts, rounders bases, ropes, whitelineing maching, lawnmower and other sports and maintainence equipment. I'm sure this is where me and Pete Harrison went to get some glass from the caretaker and janitor to repair a broken window.

Had a walk down there this morning and took this picture.

Taken from where the sand pits were just below the caretakers house

The building on the right is the rear of the old garage which is on the corner of Cradock Road and City Road, with its main entrance onto City Road.

The building next to it seems to fit Tozzins description of being prefabricated and having a corrugated asbestos roof.

It seems to meet and possibly be joined to the garage. I couldn't get around the other side due to this being a very muddy part of the field and we have had some wet weather lately, - but I will try again in better conditions.

From Spring Lane you can see an entrance door on the other side, but taken with my phone so no long telephoto or zoom to get a decent image.

The building is very close to the back gardens of the houses on City Road. If it is a T shaped building access to the base of the T, as shown on the map, will be very tight.

attachicon.gif2014-04-06 08.44.07.jpg

That is not what was the nursery it was well away from the garage as in the map.

I suspected that it wasn't Tozzin because of its location so close to the garage.

The garage could have course have been extended backwards to enlarge it over the years, - there weren't as many cars around in 1948 as in more recent years and Charlie Brown (the last owners of the garage premises) were a bit like Quickfit, - big service area for up to 4 cars at once and a shop attached as well a bit like Halfords or Fred Hartleys.

However, your description of the building does seem to fit with the appearance of this one. I am still convinced that this building was some sort of storage space as I said earlier.

There is no sign of the remains of any other building ever been at the site of the nursery shown on the map.

What is left of our old school is now just a place to send bad lads from all over the City!

An "inclusion unit" is a place that takes kids that have been expelled (for whatever reason) from any other school in the Sheffield Education Authority area.

I also went to Tozzin's nursery. It was a prefab. I was born in 52 and went to that nursery, probably 1954, for only a short spell before going to the nursery DaveH refers to adjacent to the top infants yard. My abiding memory of the T shaped nursery was cod liver oil and porridge and fablon cloths on the dining tables.

Thanks Dave, your comments seem to confirm my comment in post#1123 above that the nursery moved location around 1955-ish.

I've been transfixed by this topic, and feel sure we must have spent time in the same class. I left in 71, the last year before ' stopping on' became compulsory. I had intended to do the fifth year, but an argument with Man Pearce in tech drawing over an incorrect interpretation of the 'new' fifty pence piece saw me demoted to the annexe.