Def Leppard

Sheffield History

91399605_3473958852630659_4221655408302882816_n.jpg

Amazing old photo of Rick Allen (Def Leppard drummer) who was born on Snapehill Lane, Dronfield.

This was Ricks first band GRAD who later changed the name to Smokey Blue

John Richardson at the front, Rick Allen, and Trevor Dunford played the Yorkshire club circuit for approx 3 years , first proper gig was The Contact Club"

What a great pic!

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 15.56.58.jpg

91764712_2937424802984370_1246765152750010368_n.jpg

A rare and really early photograph of Def Leppard taken outside the Westbourne Scout Association Building at Broomhill

I worked at Virgin on Fargate when Def Leppard played a gig in the basement. It was a bit of a nightmare,  the audience (fan club I think) were left standing in some foul weather for ages while the band got ready. Meanwhile there was a stream of mates, ex-schoolmates, ex-dinner ladies and hangers on being let in through a side door. 

On a more positive note many years before we travelled , with Cavendish Travel, to Nottingham Royal Court Theatre to see them on the Pyromania tour, it was a rearranged date and during the interim their career had took off. They honoured the date and it was an amazing show. 

Do you remember when Def Leppard played Don Valley Stadium 6th June 1993? Were you one of the reported 40,000+ there? 

Rather fittingly first to play at the Stadium. Could hear them in Brinsworth doing their sound check. From my back bedroom window could see the stage or big screen in the stadium before the view was annoyingly blocked by a building. 😂🤣 

The day of the performance it was a very warm day; sat on the back step listening to the whole performance. Brilliant!!!

Must have turned the volume down slightly from sound check to performance but they were still loud! but not as loud as Bruce Springsteen when he played Bramall Lane.