Stuart0742

Hugh's photo in the Wilson Peck topic got me thinking Link to Hugh's Post

How many more such advertisements can we find

I saw one yesterday, I am sure there are plenty out there

Riverside Hotel (The Lion) Nursery Street

I happen to know someone who saw it before you though ... POPPYCHRISTINA lol

Yeah but you can see more on mine lol

Do you know of anymore? there must be loads

Parkin & Son-Rockingham Street. Is this firm still going?

OK, so in the Wilson Peck strand we already have pictures of the advertisement in the alleyway from Pinstone Street between the Proper Deli Co. and the Leeds B.S.

In my then and now on the Moor, Debenhams has its name vertically reading downwards in the 1974 shot, while the more modern shot has the lettering vertically but on its side so that you have to tilt your head to read it. Although my picture doesn't show this, the new sign is shorter than the old one so that the ghostly image of the last 3 or 4 letters of the old sign are still visible "AMS"

Recently I took some pictures of the buildings on Cambridge Street as I think they are soon to disappear in the redevelopment and many of these are Victorian buildings with dates above them. Some are very run down and have old names and advertising for companies which cannot have been in business for years, like this picture for example.

Gleaner Razor Blades

Painted Advertisment from the Past

Taken from West Bar looking up Lambert St towards Scotland St

Does anybody remember Gleaner Razor Blades

I think the no parking may be a more recent addition

Strangely I found myself near that sign while taking the ones below on nearby Milton Street.

Which company started life here in 1765 ? (Skating away on the thin ice of a new day)

That would be James Watts then, now moved out of town somewhere but still making skates for sporty-types.

Yeah but you can see more on mine lol

Do you know of anymore? there must be loads

If anyone is in the Pitsmoor area there is a tye shop on Kilton Hill. The building that this is part of is the original Bentley`s garage. Up until a few years ago it was still possible to see BUICK dealer painted on the wall above the doorway.

That would be James Watts then, now moved out of town somewhere but still making skates for sporty-types.

Thought he invented the steam engine :)

Thought he invented the steam engine :)

No, shame on you Stuart0742!

James Watt perfected the steam engine with inventive additions to increase its efficiency such as the seperate condenser, the automatic valving and the sun and planet rotary motion etc. etc.

The steam engine predates him by quite a lot and earlier examples by Savery and Newcommen were around long before him. In fact it was a model Newcommen engine in Edinburugh University which he was servicing that made him realise its shortcomings and set out to improve on it.

You should have joined Sheffield Steam and Vintage Club when I did!

{ Reminds me... memory does a retake..... I started a thread on this site in transport somewhere to do with local steam engines...had forgotten about that, I'll have to remember to post something in it from time to time..thanks for reminding me Stuart!}

No, shame on you Stuart0742!

James Watt perfected the steam engine with inventive additions to increase its efficiency such as the seperate condenser, the automatic valving and the sun and planet rotary motion etc. etc.

The steam engine predates him by quite a lot and earlier examples by Savery and Newcommen were around long before him. In fact it was a model Newcommen engine in Edinburugh University which he was servicing that made him realise its shortcomings and set out to improve on it.

You should have joined Sheffield Steam and Vintage Club when I did!

{ Reminds me... memory does a retake..... I started a thread on this site in transport somewhere to do with local steam engines...had forgotten about that, I'll have to remember to post something in it from time to time..thanks for reminding me Stuart!}

Yes but the popular myth is James Watt watched a kettle boil etc. Yes we know the real story :)

Yes but the popular myth is James Watt watched a kettle boil etc. Yes we know the real story :)

Isn't it called "serendipity" or something when the mind suddenly makes a massive realisation and brings about an enormous sudden world altering change. This has happened several times in history:-

James Watt

"Look at that kettle boiling, wow I could turn that into the LNER flying scotsman"

King Alfred

"Oops those cakes are burning, I'd better go out and give those Vikings a good thumping"

Walter Raleigh

"Look at the leaves on that plant, we could roll them up in paper, put it in our mouths and set fire to it"

"..and if you think thats a rubbish idea, I've got a worse one, I'll invent the pushbike!!"

Stuart0742 and DaveH

"Hey we could do some posts on that SheffieldHistory site!"

There are 3 generations of advertisements on this one

You can just make out the original Wigfalls writing, then the more modern Highfield Motors and then the vinyl signs of the present day garage below.

The old Wigfalls shop on Attercliffe Rd

Reminder of past glories!

You can still make out the old "Bee Hive Hotel" lettering

link added in main publisting

• Like 1

The HSBC bank on Pinstone Street has had its signs removed and above its door now is this ghostly image which can just about be made out to read

"MIDLAND BANK"

So how old is that then? Midland Bank became HSBC at some point in the first half of the 1990's so I suspect about 15 or 16 years since it was last seen.

I noticed this one in my 1974 to 2008 Then & Now of the Moor so went back to try and get a better picture.

In 1974 the word DEBENHAMS read vertically from top to bottom but with each letter the right way up. The current sign has the word DEBENHAMS laid on its side so that you tend to tilt your head to read it.

However, the current sign, placed on the same site as the original, has smaller letters and so is a bit shorter than the original.

In this picture the ghostly shadows of the original last 3 letters, AMS, can just be made out immediately below the current sign.

See the "Then & Now" threads for a direct comparison of the 2 signs

The Ball public house on Mansfield Road

Beneath the current sign which says "THE BALL", and partially hidden behind it a previous business name can be made out

"DUNCAN ???????Co. Ltd

The Ball public house on Mansfield Road

Beneath the current sign which says "THE BALL", and partially hidden behind it a previous business name can be made out

"DUNCAN ???????Co. Ltd

I would say that is Duncan Gilmour & Co part of the Joshua Tetley group of companies.

Is it or was it a Tetleys pub?