Pye Bank School

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

The building which was Pye Bank School still stands, but the school moved out a long time ago now. I went there as an infant in the mid 1940s, and thought it would be good if some genuine old-timers could post a few memories. Come on, old Pye Bankers!

To start the debate, here is a photograph of some Pye Bank teachers from about 1943:

Back row: Miss Danks, Miss Fielding (she became Mrs Jeavons), Miss Vera Fisher (later Mrs Smethurst), Miss Mary Cocker, Miss Leesley.

Front row: Mrs Temperton, Miss Poole (headmistress), Miss Shimeld.

The building which was Pye Bank School still stands, but the school moved out a long time ago now. I went there as an infant in the mid 1940s, and thought it would be good if some genuine old-timers could post a few memories. Come on, old Pye Bankers!

To start the debate, here is a photograph of some Pye Bank teachers from about 1943:

Back row: Miss Danks, Miss Fielding (she became Mrs Jeavons), Miss Vera Fisher (later Mrs Smethurst), Miss Mary Cocker, Miss Leesley.

I remember Miss Cocker she was my first teacher when I started there in 1952 I think, she was a lovely woman. If she asked a question the person with the right answer was given a Smartie, just one, I think chocolate was still rationed, or at least in short supply.

I also remember Mrs Temperton I think her name echoed her demeanor.

Great days I also remember Mr Jeeves, Mr Guest, Mr Jenkinson, Miss Smith, Mr Cook (headmaster)

I started at Pye Bank in 1953 along with Paul Webster and Charles Street. We started in Mrs Tempertons class.

I remember missing the outcome of a story we were being told 'cos I had to go in The Royal Hospital on West St for me tonsils out. I lived on Brunswick rd near the corner with Bramber Street.

I was born in 1949, so I must have started about 1954. I cant remember my first teacher, but I am sure Miss Temperton was the headmistress. Some classmates names I remember, Peter Campbell, Paul Bradley Frankie Lemons, These Three no longer with us, God bless them. Others that come to mind. George Littlewood, Alan Kelsey, Dennis Longley, Jeffry Burke, Charlie Street, Maxwell Richardson, Clifford Buck, Jennifer Russel, Vicky Udall, Val Roxborough, Roy Gregory, It's all fading again, no doubt many more will come back the moment I shut down.

I started at Pye Bank in 1953 along with Paul Webster and Charles Street. We started in Mrs Tempertons class.

I remember missing the outcome of a story we were being told 'cos I had to go in The Royal Hospital on West St for me tonsils out. I lived on Brunswick rd near the corner with Bramber Street.

I lived on Brunswick Road as well, near the Merry Heart pub. I remember Paul Webster He Had A big wooden Tank, we used to shove it all over Brunswick Road, all those years ago

I lived at No 10, Court 4, Brunswick Rd. One up and one down and back to back. One cold water tap and a range to cook on. Toilets were down the yard, ours had a lock on it as people would steal the newspaper we used as toilet paper. They would steal the door as well for firewood.

I lived at No 10, Court 4, Brunswick Rd. One up and one down and back to back. One cold water tap and a range to cook on. Toilets were down the yard, ours had a lock on it as people would steal the newspaper we used as toilet paper. They would steal the door as well for firewood.

I wonder if anyone has any memories of the teachers in the picture I posted a while back --the 1943 group. I believe Miss Cocker lived somewhere in the Firvale area for many years, long after she retired. I was told that Miss Cocker died several years ago, but I never learned any details. Miss Fisher, I think, is still around. She did live in Penistone most of her life, but in more recent times has moved into Sheffield.

I wonder if anyone has any memories of the teachers in the picture I posted a while back --the 1943 group. I believe Miss Cocker lived somewhere in the Firvale area for many years, long after she retired. I was told that Miss Cocker died several years ago, but I never learned any details. Miss Fisher, I think, is still around. She did live in Penistone most of her life, but in more recent times has moved into Sheffield.

This is a photograph, taken at the Pye Bank School open day in Jan 2004, just before the building was vacated and the school moved to new premises. It shows three former pupils, plus Miss Fisher, the long-retired teacher from the 1940s, and the lady who was the head at the time an era ended at PB.

What a brilliant picture, I remember most of them, especially Mrs Temperton who was a wonderful lady. I attended Pye Bank from 1940 till 1947 and lived just down the road on Fox Hill. Great memories!

What a brilliant picture, I remember most of them, especially Mrs Temperton who was a wonderful lady. I attended Pye Bank from 1940 till 1947 and lived just down the road on Fox Hill. Great memories!

Glad you liked the picture. I remember Miss Fisher the best, perhaps because I was in touch with her a few years after I left Pye Bank, and then many years later I had a note from her out of the blue. The old girl is still going strong so far as I know, well into her 90s. For many years she lived at Penistone, but she is now in Sheffield.

I was there from about 1944 til sometime in 1946, when we moved back to the East End. We lived in Rock Street, in lodgings.

There is a lot of notes re Pye Bank on Sheffield Forum. I have been trying to get old pupils to look on both that site (where I put a list of my own year's pupils) and this --this being good because you can post pictures as well as info.

Keep on writing in!

Hi,

Ref. the photograph of the teachers at Pye Bank in the 1940's.

I started a Pye bank in January 1942 and was in Miss Fielding's class when she became Mrs Jeavons.

Her husband was, I believe, aircrew in the RAF and visited the school, in uniform, a day or two before the wedding.

You can imagine what excitement this caused among the young lads, having a real live airman on the premises.

I seem to remember Miss Fielding, her husband or both, had some connection with Rotherham. Maybe that is where they

originated.

Regards

Hi,

Ref. the photograph of the teachers at Pye Bank in the 1940's.

I started a Pye bank in January 1942 and was in Miss Fielding's class when she became Mrs Jeavons.

Her husband was, I believe, aircrew in the RAF and visited the school, in uniform, a day or two before the wedding.

You can imagine what excitement this caused among the young lads, having a real live airman on the premises.

I seem to remember Miss Fielding, her husband or both, had some connection with Rotherham. Maybe that is where they

originated.

Hi, Falls. It would be interesting to know the names of some of the people who were in your class at Pye Bank, and any chat about the different characters at the school --teachers and pupils.

The pix posted a little while ago, taken at the last reunion just before the old school closed, features a lad called Day who went on to be an outstanding swimmer, and Barbara Shaw (now Woolley). I told Barbara all about this thread, and I am still hoping she might be able to post a few stories of the old days!

Of course, my group was probably just behind the one you were a member of.

Regards

Hello,

Here is a list of some of my class mates in my last year at Pye Bank junior (1947/48).

To be more accurate, these are the only ones I remember from a class of 40 plus. Isn't old age terrible

Nora Armitage, Patricia Atkin, Pat(?) Critchley, Nina Dodd, Margaret Graham, Maureen Greenwood, Rita Heathcote, Janet Hodgitt, Jean Martin, June Moorwood, Anne Taylor, Sheila Trickett, Pauline Woodhouse.

Albert Edmonds, John Clark, Leslie Fleming, Stanley Idle, Albert Kelsey, Ronnie King, Peter Oliver Frank Thorpe, Brian Tompkins, Ronnie Turner, Stanley Wheelhouse.

Notice how I remember more girls than boys.

As for the staff: The Headmaster was Mr. Speight.

For the first two years in Juniors, we had Frau Braun and the last two, Hilda Smith.

I seem to recall a Mrs or Miss Glass and Cross. One of these ladies had a penitrating voice, something like a dentist drill.

Men teachers were Messes: Jenkinson, Peck, Hammond, Chalis

There must have been other miscellaneous teachers but I can't remember any names.

After Pye Bank, I went on to "Stalag Burngreave"

Regards

Guest metalmickuk

I was born in 1949, so I must have started about 1954. I cant remember my first teacher, but I am sure Miss Temperton was the headmistress. Some classmates names I remember, Peter Campbell, Paul Bradley Frankie Lemons, These Three no longer with us, God bless them. Others that come to mind. George Littlewood, Alan Kelsey, Dennis Longley, Jeffry Burke, Charlie Street, Maxwell Richardson, Clifford Buck, Jennifer Russel, Vicky Udall, Val Roxborough, Roy Gregory, It's all fading again, no doubt many more will come back the moment I shut down.

HI, my name was Alison Mcloughlin(now Grant) you may remember my older brother David Mcloughlin who was a friend of both Frankie Lemons and Paul Bradley. Paul was often at our house at no. 7 Obourne St. and his father was the park keeper at the playground known locally as The Wembly which was situated at the top of our street.We used to get him really mad by singing a song to him which went

Old Bradley sells fish threehapence a dish

Dont buy it dont buy it

It stinks when you fry it.

Then we had to leg it fast as he would come running out of the park keepers hut.

I didnt know that both Frankie and Paul (who incidentaly was also a close drinking pal of my husband Mick Grant) had passed on. Sadly my own dear brother is no longer with us.

I started at Pye Bank school in1957 and remember the headmaster Mr Cook.I was quite frightened of him as a small child but later found him to be a very kind person and a real gentleman.

I remember Mr Jenkinson, I was once sick all over his shoes because he made me drink my bottle of milk, which had been kept on the radiators to stop it from freezing in the winter and I always loathed hot milk. I also remember Miss Marriot who was as they say strict but fair and thanks to her pushing me hard with lessons I managed to scrape through the 11 Plus and ended up at Hinde House. The names I remember of my classmates

are Susan Dodson, Judith Clarke, and a special friend was Margaret Walker who came to Pye Bank towards the end of my time there.

Hi there,

Back in 2009 i was given permission to enter the school for the purpose of taking photo's, if anyone is interested here they are:

http://www.urbanography.org.uk/pyebankschool/pyebankschool.htm

Hi gangeox,

thank you for the link to your photographs,

and welcome to SH.

Guest downtimer

Hi there,

Back in 2009 i was given permission to enter the school for the purpose of taking photo's, if anyone is interested here they are:

Well done, the photos are quite haunting. I think one of them was my old classroom (with the stepped floor) I started in the nursery school there in 1960, I moved to Hillsborough in 1966.We used to live @ 118 Rock Street.

Les

Well done, the photos are quite haunting. I think one of them was my old classroom (with the stepped floor) I started in the nursery school there in 1960, I moved to Hillsborough in 1966.We used to live @ 118 Rock Street.

Les

Haunting is exactly the word Les, I started in 59 and I think Mr Jenkinson taught me in that classroom. Wish we could go back mate ...........!!!!

I lived at 221 Nottingham St.

Hi there,

Hello,

A few comments/recollections about Pye Bank:

The heating system in your photgraphs looks very modern and brought back memories. In January/February of 1947or 48, the boiler broke in some terribly cold weather. In todays Nanny Society, the school would close if the boiler broke, but not then. Classes continued as if nothing had happened. The only concession was we could keep our coats on. The repair was supposed to take three weeks but they did it in about ten days. At the time, we were in one of the classrooms with the stepped floor and had a small electric fire were we could warm your hands if necessary. It was also really sunny most days and this helped.

There used to be a long shed along the outside wall of the girls playground and when I started at Pye Bank in Jan 1942, it was being used as an ambulance depot. They came in the out of the yard throught the big gates. I also remember the B&C lorry used to come in through the same gates to deliver our daily 1/3 pt of milk.

In my early years, we used to have Gas Mask and Air Raid Shelter practices. There was only one occasion, in early 1945 I think, when we had a real emergency. This was the possiblity of V1 fly bombs coming over but it never haqppened. After about half an hour in those revolting shelters, we all went back to our classes.

One last thing. Your photos shows indoor toilets. What luxury ! In our day, the toilets were out in the yard and you only used them if you were absolutely desperate.

I'll try and remember other incidents

Regards

Hi fellow SHs

Just thought i would add these two books to this thread.

The first one was presented to my Grandmother in 1905.

The second one was prsented to one of her Brothers in 1906.

Hi fellow SHs

Just thought i would add these two books to this thread.

The first one was presented to my Grandmother in 1905.

The second one was prsented to one of her Brothers in 1906.

Thanks Syrup, your attachments were most interesting. I posted about Park Boys School some time age but the boffins at Sheffield History were unable to throw any light on it. Comparing the two attachments it would appear that sometime between 1898 and 1906 Sheffield School Board became City of Sheffield Education Committee. And the 'Clerk to the Board' (T. Moss) became plain 'Secretary'.

By the way, have you read the books?

Thanks Syrup, your attachments were most interesting. I posted about Park Boys School some time age but the boffins at Sheffield History were unable to throw any light on it. Comparing the two attachments it would appear that sometime between 1898 and 1906 Sheffield School Board became City of Sheffield Education Committee. And the 'Clerk to the Board' (T. Moss) became plain 'Secretary'.

By the way, have you read the books?

Hi THYLACINE

I have made an attempt to read A Kings Comrade But found it hard work it's not really my kind of book.( oneday i might try it again )

It is available online at

http://infomotions.com/etexts/gutenberg/dirs/1/3/4/3/13438/13438.htm

But not the illustrations.

HI, my name was Alison Mcloughlin(now Grant) you may remember my older brother David Mcloughlin who was a friend of both Frankie Lemons and Paul Bradley. Paul was often at our house at no. 7 Obourne St. and his father was the park keeper at the playground known locally as The Wembly which was situated at the top of our street.We used to get him really mad by singing a song to him which went

Old Bradley sells fish threehapence a dish

Dont buy it dont buy it

It stinks when you fry it.

Then we had to leg it fast as he would come running out of the park keepers hut.

I didnt know that both Frankie and Paul (who incidentaly was also a close drinking pal of my husband Mick Grant) had passed on. Sadly my own dear brother is no longer with us.

I started at Pye Bank school in1957 and remember the headmaster Mr Cook.I was quite frightened of him as a small child but later found him to be a very kind person and a real gentleman.

I remember Mr Jenkinson, I was once sick all over his shoes because he made me drink my bottle of milk, which had been kept on the radiators to stop it from freezing in the winter and I always loathed hot milk. I also remember Miss Marriot who was as they say strict but fair and thanks to her pushing me hard with lessons I managed to scrape through the 11 Plus and ended up at Hinde House. The names I remember of my classmates

are Susan Dodson, Judith Clarke, and a special friend was Margaret Walker who came to Pye Bank towards the end of my time there.

Hi Alison.

I remember your brother David, and your dad, your family flitted to Pyebank road when the old area was redeveloped, as did we.

Sorry to hear of his loss, I think he was a little younger than me, I am 62 now d.o.b. 25/2/1949. Do you remember Howard Snape? he used to knock about with us in the late 50's early 60's. I have not heard anything from Howard since leaving school about 1964. It's been the same with a lot of my old mates from school, area's get redeveloped and family's move on and contact is lost....... Take care.