Newhall School, Paget St/Sanderson St

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Guest Jim Buck

Does anybody remember Larnie ? He rode around on his bike, delivering papers, and taking illegal bets. He also used to sell the Final outside No 1 Gate, English Steel. Saturday tea times, his voice used to echo around that bit of Brightside: 'Green Un!"

Guest lynblu
On 8/8/2013 at 6:35 PM, Jim Buck said:

Does anybody remember Larnie ? He rode around on his bike, delivering papers, and taking illegal bets. He also used to sell the Final outside No 1 Gate, English Steel. Saturday tea times, his voice used to echo around that bit of Brightside: 'Green Un!"

I remember Larnie  he used to sit outside Sandersons on Newhall Road :) I was born on Liverpool Street, in my paternal grandparents house. We then moved onto Swallow Street until 1972 when we had to move due to 'slum' clearance, the houses back then were palaces compared to the state of some houses today. I'm proud to say I was born/brought up Down 'Cliffe .....

On 25/02/2009 at 17:31, Old Canny Street Kid said:

I seem to be the only one posting stuff on this Newhall School thread, and yet, if I remember, there were hundres of folk at the school even when I was there. Why aren't they all subscribing? Come on, you lot!

More pix to follow later.

post-5086-1235582686_thumb.jpg

post-5086-1235582722_thumb.jpg

On 24/02/2013 at 18:23, roy1942 said:

can anyone remember a teacher at newhall school by the name of mr bashforth,he may have been temporary i dont know! but ive never heard any ex pupil mention him.the one thing i remember about him he had an hair lip.the date was between 1950/3 as we moved to hatfield house or hartley brook at the age of 11 year old.