Newhall School, Paget St/Sanderson St

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I am sure there must be many people who remember Newhall, which closed in the 60s, with Jerry Bronks, the legendary headmaster.

For now, here is a pix of the teaching staff around about 1950. I think that Ken Holmes is the only teacher still living in 2012. Miss Turton died earlier this year.

Newhall_teachers.bmp

I am sure there must be many people who remember Newhall, which closed in the 60s, with Jerry Bronks, the legendary headmaster.

For now, here is a pix of the teaching staff around about 1950.

And here is an old school footie team. Not many of these lads still with us. Sadly dear old Jack Shirley, the captain of this 1952 tam. died in May 2012.

And here is an old school footie team.

Who is that cheeky lad who has sneaked on the back row with a tie on? Was he the correspondent for the Green'Un? ;-)

Who is that cheeky lad who has sneaked on the back row with a tie on? Was he the correspondent for the Green'Un? ;-)

Dunno.

But here is a picture of a 1947 team. Some of the people on it are Tiger Towers, the goalie, Frank Harris the captain, Eric Dodsworth, Jerry Brinks, the headmaster and Mr Teet, a very good teacher. Can anyone add names?

Dunno.

But here is a picture of a 1947 team. Some of the people on it are Tiger Towers, the goalie, Frank Harris the captain, Eric Dodsworth, Jerry Brinks, the headmaster and Mr Teet, a very good teacher. Can anyone add names?

When it is possible I will send a picture of Paget Street, looking from the Newhall Road end, which shows where the two parts of Newhall School were. The Infants, and older buildings, are on the near right, while the senior school in further on, on the same side and opposite what we knew as St Clement's Hall. The entrance to the senior school was on Sanderson Street, as, of course, was the entrance to the infants school.

The shop on the left corner of Paget Street opposite the Hall was once occupied by a man called Smith, and after the 1939-45 war it was run by a family called Cousins. Mr Cousins, whose Christian name I cannot recall off hand, was a marathon runner.

Dunno.

When it is possible I will send a picture of Paget Street, looking from the Newhall Road end, which shows where the two parts of Newhall School were. The Infants, and older buildings, are on the near right, while the senior school in further on, on the same side and opposite what we knew as St Clement's Hall. The entrance to the senior school was on Sanderson Street, as, of course, was the entrance to the infants school.

The shop on the left corner of Paget Street opposite the Hall was once occupied by a man called Smith, and after the 1939-45 war it was run by a family called Cousins. Mr Cousins, whose Christian name I cannot recall off hand, was a marathon runner.

I have just come across these two pictures --one is of a Newhall group of pupils in around 1944-5 (Jerry Bronks, the head, is on it), and the other is of a gang of children taken in about 1937-38. If anyone can throw any light on these pictures, and put some names to it, I am sure it will be of interest to many folk.

I have just come across these two pictures --one is of a Newhall group of pupils in around 1944-5 (Jerry Bronks, the head, is on it), and the other is of a gang of children taken in about 1937-38. If anyone cane throw any light on these pictures, and put some names to it, I am sure it will be of interest to many folk.

Now here is a picture of the Newhall School football team in the mid-1920s when they were perhaps the best school footie team in Sheffield, and their star player was a lad called Harry Gooney, who was not only captain of Sheffield Boys but of England Boys, too.

Now here is a picture of the Newhall School football team in the mid-1920s when they were perhaps the best school footie team in Sheffield, and their star player was a lad called Harry Gooney, who was not only captain of Sheffield Boys but of England Boys, too.

I seem to be the only one posting stuff on this Newhall School thread, and yet, if I remember, there were hundres of folk at the school even when I was there. Why aren't they all subscribing? Come on, you lot!

More pix to follow later.

I seem to be the only one posting stuff on this Newhall School thread, and yet, if I remember, there were hundres of folk at the school even when I was there. Why aren't they all subscribing? Come on, you lot!

More pix to follow later.

Bronks.bmp

Here is a pix of Don Road that some might find interesting.

In case you haven't spooted it, see also the thread on St Clement's on here.

Guest Jim Buck

For now, here is a pix of the teaching staff around about 1950.
Newhall_teachers.bmp

The teacher on the left-end of the back row, was Mrs Connor. The woman 3rd from the right, front row, was Miss Bloom. (very strict, but with a diamond heart! x) I think that the male teacher right at the end of that row was Mr Farrand.

Guest Jim Buck

And here is an old school footie team.

#

This Newhall team was before my time; but I remember the 1960/61 team were quit egood. They beat Huntsmans' Gardens to win the Sanderson Cup

Guest Jim Buck

That's the entrance to our yard on the left! We lived at 41 Newhall Road (next door to the chip shop). My grandfather had owned the cobbler's shop a few doors up, until his death in 1948. Thanks for posting this!

That's the entrance to our yard on the left! We lived at 41 Newhall Road (next door to the chip shop). My grandfather had owned the cobbler's shop a few doors up, until his death in 1948. Thanks for posting this!

Hi Jim,

here's a section from one of the 1950's OS maps,

it shows part of Newhall Rd and Paget St.

Link to .. OS map #64

And a link to an old tram photo taken in the same area, looking down Newhall Road.

SH link .. here

hi ocsk re your photo of newhall football team 1947 i can name some.back row.albert rhodes who was my brother in law mr bronks tennant gray the one on the end right not known the one in the suit i think his name was tommy antcliff .seated george moore the next lad lived at the bottom of alfred road .can't remember his name frank harris then eric dodsworth who was my brother next one unknown the one kneeling on the left is dougie holland

Dunno.

hi old canny street kid.re your pix of newhall team 1947.back row left is albert rhodes who was my brother in law.then mr bronks then tennant gray.the others on that row not sure of except i think the lad in the suit was called tommy antcliff.the ones seated are george moore next one can't remember his name but he lived at the bottom of alfred road.then frank harris then eric dodsworth who was my brother .sadly he died in 1990.the next one i dont know.theone kneeling on the left is dougie holland.

[quote name='azz' date='04 February 2011 - 05:40 PM'

back row pete melon, don ryan, ryalls, xx, xx, seated arthur jackson, xx keith shirley, les catherall, brian bagshaw, seated on floor eric dodsworth, kenny neville

Guest beckie19458

The teacher on the left-end of the back row, was Mrs Connor. I think that the male teacher right at the end of that row was Mr Farrand.

I think the teacher in the stripe jumper was Miss Turtan

Guest beckie19458

I went Newhall Rd school from 1950 to 1953 is there a reunion at all for that year for Newhall Rd School

Guest beatlejuice

I went to Newhall Infants & Junior Schools from 1952 to 1958. In the Junior School my teachers were Mrs. Turton, Miss Bloom, Miss Guest and Mr. Farrand. Mrs. Turton was a lovely lady. Miss Bloom was quite strict especially keen on the times table which she made you recite in front of the class. Miss Guest and Jerry Bronks didn't get on. When she saw Bronks walking across the hall to her classroom She would say "watch out he's on his way here." This meant that we should get our heads down and look like we were doing some work. Mr. Farrand was a nice bloke and he was our sports teacher too. I remember that he told us he lived at Coal Aston which he made it sound as if it was at the end of the earth. He was sometimes late to start the class in the morning, I suppose due to problem he had catching buses. No cars in those days for most people.

We took the 11+ exam in those days. Only one boy passed in our year - Andrew Carr. We weren't bothered because we knew that if we passed 11+ we would be split up from our friends. I remember my Mother being very disappointed that I didn't go Grammer School. I played for the school football team. These were some of my team mates. David Dennison, Alan Taylor, Patrick Bean, Ian Shaw, Tony Hampton, Alan Mills, Barry Hull.

Jerry Bronks was involved with the Sheffield Boys football team which played most of it's home games at the English Steel Sports Club on Bellhouse Rd. I used to sell the the match programme with others on the gate.

The school used to play football at Crowder House playing field which I think belonged to Firth Park Grammer School. The pitch we played on was very steep maybe a 1 in 10 slope. It felt that steep any way. We would catch a tram from Newhall Rd. to Crowder House and pay the conductor with tokens.

Every Monday morning we would walk to Maltby St. School where we would have a shower. Most kids at Newhall didn't have a bathroom so this was to make sure that we all had at least one good scrub every week. At our house Friday night was the tin bath in front of the fire night. I always look back with fondness at my days at Newhall School. I went to Hartley Brook School after leaving Newhall. Does anybody rember Jack Skandratt the barber on Newhall Rd.?

can anyone remember a teacher at newhall school by the name of mr bashforth,he may have been temporary i dont know! but ive never heard any ex pupil mention him.the one thing i remember about him he had an hair lip.the date was between 1950/3 as we moved to hatfield house or hartley brook at the age of 11 year old.

• Like 1

Guest Jim Buck

I remember Jack Skandratt! His shop was a few doors down from us (41 Newhall Road). He was a stocky man who wore glasses, and a sandy brown overall. I used to have my hair cut there before the Beatle days got me out of the habit :) Jack's barber shop shop was next door to Mr Coster, the cobblers. He was sold it when my grandfather died. And next door to that was the chip shop. It was owned by Mrs Page for many years, but in the mid-1960s Walt Purcell bought it. Across on the other corner, of Paget Street, was the Vine. It had a beer-off, and seeing local characters---such as Aunt Mary--leaving with gill jugs of beer---was a common sight. Hannah Horton was the Vine's landlady until she died suddenly, in 1960. The pub was dark for several years after that, until a relative took it over. Next door to the pub was a used clothes shop, run by Mrs Goodman. Next to that was the paper shop--Adam Kubicka was the last owner of that. Next to that was Pepperdine's grocery shop. Somewhere on that row there used to be a butcher shop. It closed following a tragic accident. Whilst chopping a joint of meat, the butcher (his name might have been Jack Asher) severed the artery in his thigh. He put a torniquet on it and and ran across Newhall Rd to the ambulance room at Sanderson Bros & Newbould. Unfortunately, he couldn't be saved. I recall seeing the long trail of blood, from the shop--all the way across the street.