Church on Bramall Lane

SteveHB

St Mary's on what I think is the junction of Bramhall Lane and St Mary's Gate.

Hi tsavo, sorry It's not St May's, this church stood across the road from what i believe was Lavers Showroom and the PWD buildings, next to The Sheaf House pub.

Steve.

Sorry Steve, misread the location. (hangs head, stands in corner and sulks!)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's OK tsavo, could it be Ebenezer Chapel, Bramall Lane (Wesleyan Reform) and would 'this being a Capel' be marked and named as a Church on the maps?

Using the map and Kelly's -Ebenezer Wesleyan Reform Church Bramall Lane

Thank you neddy, looking at the Sh maps it will fit on as ' Wesleyan Church' can see the 'w' bit so would that be right or should I add Ebenezer,

making it 'Ebenezer Wesleyan Church?

Edit, now 'Wesleyan Church' as it fits (map 23), thanks again for your help neddy.

Steve.

Guest boston

I remember this church was still standing up to about 1977ish, as we caught our school bus opposite, with the Rev P Asquith on the notice board who also happened to be one of the RE Teachers at Newfield School.

All of that side of Bramall Lane was demolished (except for the Railway and Cricketers) to make way for a dual carridgeway which never materialised (along with the Heeley by-pass)

I remember this church was still standing up to about 1977ish, as we caught our school bus opposite, with the Rev P Asquith on the notice board who also happened to be one of the RE Teachers at Newfield School.

All of that side of Bramall Lane was demolished (except for the Railway and Cricketers) to make way for a dual carridgeway which never materialised (along with the Heeley by-pass)

Hi boston, do you remember the Fruit & veg Shop near to the Church ?

The lady owner lived either on the premises or very nearby,

I remember her having to move out and she came to live up near Heeley Green.

Steve

Hi boston, do you remember the Fruit & veg Shop near to the Church ?

The lady owner lived either on the premises or very nearby,

I remember her having to move out and she came to live up near Heeley Green.

Steve

Hi Steve

Sorry i cannot remember/place the old fruit and veg shop. Off topic i can remeber the cafe on the corner (Ted James only had the one shop at the time) and the bakery opposite

Bramall Lane. (Kelly's 1965)

208 White Geo.H.
Ebenezer Wesleyan Reform Church.
......... Rowland Road .........
218 Wilson Leslie, fruitr.

Does anyone have a larger size image of the Ebenezer illustration please. I tried posting it somewhere & it wouldn't work so assume the 55KB size may be too small ?

Does anyone have a larger size image of the Ebenezer illustration please. I tried posting it somewhere & it wouldn't work so assume the 55KB size may be too small ?

Boris Barker here. My family were the caretakers here from 1976 to 1979, when we had to move out as it was being knocked down as part of the redevelopment. We lived in the house on the right: rent free but no central heating, no bathroom. We had an outside toilet (whitewashed walls) and we had to drag the tin bath in to the kitchen every week in front of the coal fire and bath Dad first, then Mom, older sister, me, then two younger sisters. No visitors allowed at this time. Ah Saturday's we had to clean the front area in front of the chapel of all the pigeon-crap (I was into skateboarding and so helped as it meant I could skate there.