Sheffield Coal Mines

dunsbyowl1867

Yes we moved into Rainbow Grove in 1970.

The pit was a training centre for sometime after it stopped mining, will have to delve a bit deeper. There were still some of the pit buildings there in the early 70's, just wished I had had the foresight to take some photo's.

I remember the fishing pond, and the mucky polluted Shirebrook, but the "Bubble Bath" is a new one to me.

Just after the bottom of Coisley hill going along Shire Brook was the outlet from the sewage beds further up the bank.

Where this emptied into the Brook it made a small pond which, one presumes because of all the soap in the water, used to create "mountains" of foam. On windy days this would get blown up in big "clouds" and float high above the houses and over Hackenthorpe.

Not very healthy but quite attractive.

It was probably sorted out by the time you moved there.

Another "Wish I'd" - We all say that don't we?

All the old mining equipment left lying around was just so much junk to us in those days. I suppose we just thought it would never be of any interest. I remember there being old wooden coal trucks on a bit of track that disappeared underground amongst other things which would make great pictures these days.

Yes we moved into Rainbow Grove in 1970.

The pit was a training centre for sometime after it stopped mining, will have to delve a bit deeper. There were still some of the pit buildings there in the early 70's, just wished I had had the foresight to take some photo's.

I remember the fishing pond, and the mucky polluted Shirebrook, but the "Bubble Bath" is a new one to me.

Birley East Pit - A Brief History.

Opened in 1888

Closed 15/10/1943

From 1943 to 1948 it was used as a Training centre by the Ministry of Labour to train "Bevan Boys" it finally closed in October 1948.

However pumps were kept there until 1986 to keep water out of Brookhouse.

1963 saw a concerted effort to demolish the majority of the surface buildings using explosives. However the upcast headstock remained until 1986.

Vox, do you remember the 1963 work to demolish the pit?

Opened in 1888

Closed 15/10/1943

From 1943 to 1948 it was used as a Training centre by the Ministry of Labour to train "Bevan Boys" it finally closed in October 1948.

1963 saw a concerted effort to demolish the majority of the surface buildings using explosives. However the upcast headstock remained until 1986.

1963 made me 13/14 so you'd think I'd remember seeing, hearing or even just hearing talk of explosins. That would have been a big event, but it seems to have passed me by. I'll talk to mom - see if she remembers anything.

The view from mom & dad's looks out across the valley, and in '63 there was nothing built opposite to obscure the view.

Guest Sazzle

Hiya Sazzle and Welcome to SheffieldHistory.

We'd appreciate details of your findings (if you can share) and a link to the Sites you found; that way we all get a bit more knowledge.

Personally, my heart dropped when I saw 1936, I'm not that old (honest), but I'm rubbish on anything after 1900 !

Hi,

Thank you thank you for your welcomes.

Well the website details are on one of your other topics, before I had posted yesterday here I had put Tinsley Park Colliery, Colliery, Pit, didn't even try mine, what am I like!!

When I found the link on the other topic, I couldn't believe how easy it was, just put Mellor Henry in and it brought all the names up, and I picked my Great Grandfather out. The website is www.cmhrs.co.uk The Coalmining History Resource Centre.

He was a Surface Labourer at Tinsley Park Colliery and he was killed on the 20th July 1936, the notes say " An LMS loco was drawing a brake van in colliery sidings when he walked infront and was killed instantly."

From what I can understand from my Grandma he was deaf in one ear and stepped out of his cabin didn't hear the train.

My Grandma was due to get married then and had to postpone the wedding until December 1936.

Not quite a pit but -

When they started the excavations for the original Granville College building, they took open cast coal from the site for some considerable time.

I was going to post this last night but the scanner threw a woobly

Excellent book about the Shirebrook Valley and the surrounding area,

ISBN 1-901587-65-7

Should be able to get it from Waterstones in Sheffield

Hi all,i'm new to the site but finding it interesting and a very useful tool!

I'm hoping you can help me as i'm wanting to build a scale model of Birley East Colliery with working railway ect,so if anyone has photo's that they could post it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Daz

I'm hoping you can help me as i'm wanting to build a scale model of Birley East Colliery with working railway ect,so if anyone has photo's that they could post it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Daz

Hi Daz

Welcome to the site.

I have seen very few photos of Birley East about, the book I mentioned in a previous post is probably your best start together with picturesheffield.com.

The book is I believe still current its ISBN No. is 1-901587-65-7. If you are in Sheffield try Waterstones.

Came across this list on this site : http://freepages.gen...0.htm#YORKSHIRE

Not sure if it has been posted before. My Great Grandad worked at the Brightside pit which he walked into rather than travelling down a shaft - and interesting see no 40 Benjamin Huntsman is down as a mine owner- I assume it is the same one?

1 Aston Main, Sheffield, W. H. Stone.

2 Alumnia, Sheffield, Brooke and Son.

3 Beighton, Sheffield, Skinner and Holford.

4 Birkin, Sheffield, Jos. Bramall and Sons.

5 Bracken Moor, Sheffield, Executors of Jas. Grayson.

6 Brightside, Sheffield, John Denton and Co.

7 Bromley Main, Sheffield, Bromley Silkstone Coal Co.

8 Busk Flat, Sheffield, J. Helliwell.

9 Chapeltown, Sheffield, Newton, Chambers, and Co.

10 Clay Works, Sheffield, C. S. and H. W. Tinker.

11 Clough, Sheffield, Jas. Grayson.

12 Clough, Sheffield, John Gregory.

13 Deepcar, Sheffield, John Armitage and Son.

14 Deepcar, Sheffield, John Grayson, Lowood, and Co.

15 Dungworth, Sheffield, Haigh and Co.

16 Ecclesfield, Sheffield, Haigh and Co.

17 Gleadles, Sheffield, Thos. Ward.

18 Gateshead, Sheffield, Hepworth Fire-Clay Works.

19 Grimesthorpe, Sheffield, John Denton and Co.

20 Hall Park, Sheffield, Charles Marsden.

21 Henholmes(Deepcar), Sheffield, John Armitage and Son.

22 Holly Bush, Sheffield, Joseph Hattersley.

23 Hurlford, Sheffield, John Gregory and Son.

24 Kiveton Park, Sheffield, Kiveton Park Coal Co.

25 Low Ash, Sheffield, Geo. Siddon.

26 Lower Wincobank, Sheffield, J. Johnson.

27 Lowood Wharncliffe, Sheffield, Grayson, Lowood, and Co.

28 Loxey, Sheffield, T. Wragg.

29 Malin Bridge, Sheffield, Grsyson, Lowood, and Co.

30 Manor, Sheffield, Nunnery Colliery Co.

31 Meadow Fire Clay, Sheffield, T. W. Roome.

32 Meadow Hall, Sheffield, Mark Davy.

33 Myers Lane, Sheffield, George Longden and Son.

34 New Winning, Sheffield, Nunnery Colliery Co.

35 North Staveley, Sheffield, Staveley Coal and Iron Co., Limited.

36 Nunnery, Sheffield, Nunnery Colliery Co.

37 Orgreave, Sheffield, Rother Vale Collieries Limited.

38 Potter Hill, Sheffield, H. Law.

39 Shaw House, Sheffield, Benjamin Jackson.

40 Sheffield, Sheffield, Benjamin Huntsman.

41 Stannington Wood, Sheffield, Nichols and Jackson.

42 Starr's Bridge, Sheffield, Marshall and Crapper.

43 Spink Hall, Sheffield, Mrs. Grayson.

44 Spring Wood (Ecclesfield), Sheffield, John Mallison.

45 Stannington, Sheffield, Grayson, Lowood and Co.

46 Stocksbridge (Deepear), Sheffield, Samuel Fox aud Co., Limited.

47 St. Davids (Oughtibridge), Sheffield, Russell and Co.

48 Tankersley, Sheffield, Newton, Chambers, and Co.

49 Thorncliffe,Sheffield, Newton, Chambers, and Co.

50 Unstone Main, Sheffield, Unstone Coal and Coke Co.

51 Unstone, Sheffield, Houdall Coal Co.

52 Vernon Silkstone, Sheffield, Edward Swift.

53 Wharncliffe (Oughtibridge), Sheffield, J. Beaumont.

54 Wharncliffe Wood, Sheffield, Silica Fire Brick Co.

55 Wood, Sheffield, C. S. and H. W. Tinker.

55 Woodthorpe, Sheffield, Nunnery Colliery Co.

57 Wortley Silkstone, Sheffield, Thomas Andrews and Co.

My father worked as a coal getter down the old Nunnery Pit from the late 1940's until it's closure. On at least one occasion the winding engine broke down and they had to exit the pit by walking miles underground and climbing a series of ladders up a ventilation shaft that was located over the other side of Sheaf Street from Commercial Street. You can see the tower of the air-shaft on old photos looking down Commercial Street. It would be located where the Park Square Roundabout is situated today. I believe it caused problems when the roundabout was built. On the closure of the Nunnery my father transfered to Handsworth Pit which I believe shared the workings. My father worked as a part time Mines Rescue Worker until the service went full time, he didn't fancy moving to a tied house at Kiverton Park. This was just as well as my fathers employment with the NCB ended shortly after when he decked a deputy.

There is a photo on Picture Sheffield of the air-shaft, link .. S16372

Hi Daz

Welcome to the site.

I have seen very few photos of Birley East about, the book I mentioned in a previous post is probably your best start together with picturesheffield.com.

The book is I believe still current its ISBN No. is 1-901587-65-7. If you are in Sheffield try Waterstones.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I've been on picture sheffield (very useful) and I already own the above book ;-) but thanks for the ideas anyway,I have come across a few titles that may be useful,but won't know for sure until I get to look at a copy......

Books of Woodhouse,Hackenthorpe and Beighton archive photographs by Len Widdowson

East Of Sheffield by Roger Milnes

Winding up - The history of Birley East Colliery by Alan Rowles

Cheers

Daz

Cheers

Daz

There is a map here showing some detail of the railway line to and at Birley East Colliery - third map down in the post.

Opened in 1888

Closed 15/10/1943

Hi Fellow SHs

I have found a couple of Photos of Bevin Boys that lived on Gray Street Pitsmoor ( Sorry no dates )

The individual one was Ted from London ( Written on rear of Photo ) who also appears in the group on

the second one along with Harry and George ( others not named ) They all look well dressed so they

must have come from well to do Families in London i have placed them on this post as it is the only

reference i could find on the site mentioning Bevin Boys so anyone researching their Families may

come across them..

Thanks for the welcome!

Winding up - The history of Birley East Colliery by Alan Rowles

Cheers

Daz

Picked up a copy of this book today at a book fair, looks a fascinating read.

My Dad was down Nunnery in 1926, he would have been fourteen years old at the time,

he had an accident down the pit, while standing behind a pit pony (his foot on the rail) he stroked it's rear end,

the pony made a fast move forward thus pulling the railed coal wagon over his foot, and broke it.

He was taken to hospital and strapped up and then taken home on a horse drawn cart.

My dad was a coal surface worker age 15 but on the census it never said which coal mine.

Living on Apple Street any ideas which mine this would be?

The Victoria History of the County of Yorkshire Vol. 2, records that in Handsworth in the winter of 1357 a Richard Glet was working in a certain shaft called "Orpit" when a fall of rock crushed him to death.

From the Arundel Castle Manuscripts in Sheffield Archives. Accounts for 1664. John Eyre for the Coal Pitts in Sheffield Park: £145.00.00.

Accounts 1671: £72.10.00

There was a small drift mine at Little Matlock in Loxley, it was still going in the fifties. It was situated behind and below the Robin Hood pub. To the right of the front of the pub yard was a decrepit building consisting of a winch house and a loading stage. From the end of the winch house a set of narrow gauge rails ran down a steep incline to the entrances to two drift mines into the hillside under the pathway that leads down to the river. There were points at the bottom of the incline and rails ran into each drift. The winch was powered by a large lorry engine. The main product was gannister with a bit of low grade coal.

The owner of the mine lived in one of the cottages in the side of the pub that was later incorporated into the main structure.

An older lad told us that he had been taken into the mine but when he saw the shot-firer warming a detonator over his acetylene lamp (it was a bit damp) he decided he had better be somewhere else.

We used to wait until they came out of the mine and tipped the calcium carbide out of their lamps down the hillside. We would then gather the still fizzing stuff and put it in tobacco tins to make depth charges in the river. You had to remember not to put the lid on until the last moment.

The mine can be seen on the 1950's OS map

HD

An older lad told us that he had been taken into the mine but when he saw the shot-firer warming a detonator over his acetylene lamp (it was a bit damp) he decided he had better be somewhere else.

We used to wait until they came out of the mine and tipped the calcium carbide out of their lamps down the hillside. We would then gather the still fizzing stuff and put it in tobacco tins to make depth charges in the river. You had to remember not to put the lid on until the last moment.

The mine can be seen on the 1950's OS map

HD

We have discussed in this linked topic

Some pictures of workers at Handsworth Colliery dated around 1950?

2nd from left is Herbert Webster.

Now pictures in the 1980's

And in this one there was still a loud hissing noise from the shaft when it was taken.

The next mine I have a lot of material on is Woodthorpe Colliery.

The fist image is the 1901 map which shows it at its hight of importance. The heart shaped tip grew as big as the Mansfield Road Fire station tower. The entire fire station was built on the tip. The long buildings just below Elm Tree are the coke ovens, coal was transported up to them by the inclined plane trackway that goes under Mansfield Road. The TA centre is now built on the site of the ovens.

Next image: construction of the Applegarth estate and the road down to it. The road covered up the tunnel under Mansfield road. They knocked down the ornamental posts to accomodate the road, before I could get a picture of them and the tunnel entrance, which had been bricked up much earlier. :angry:

To the far left of the picture are the testing equipment NCB workmen were using investingating an air shaft that had open up in 1984, when this picture was taken. I asked them when the had finished and the chap said it was over 100 feet!

The main part of the mine was inbetween the Manor house and Woodthorpe estate on the field, just in front of the small building. Incidently the Woodthorpe estate gardens at this lower part, end on the old hedges of the farmland.

This large house (taken again around 1984) I discovered to be the Woodthorpe Pit Manager's house. In the 1901 directory he is listed as one Stephen Bacon. He and his wife Miran are both burried in Intake Cem. His wife had died in 1886 aged 43, but Stephen lived till 1911 aged 70. His boss at the Nunnery Colliery Company, in 1901, Thomas Robert Gainsford lived at the nearby mansion Woodthorpe Hall.

Meanwhile some of the workers lived in these houses just uproad from the boss. Others tended to live in the older houses going down City Road.

Last up the closure notice (I believe for 1921) in the local paper.

Thought you would like them. The people in the pictures look like they date to around 1910, a bit like the photo's of Titanic passengers!

I also came accros a compensation claim case that involves Woodthorpe pit dated August 10, 1866. Tried at at Liverpool Assizes.

Ann Holmes was claiming damages for the death of her husband Henry, from the mine owner John Rhodes.

The case hinged on the fact there were not enough refuge holes and no signals. Rhodes pleaded not guilty.

Henry aged 57 had worked there 4 years.

It seems that waggons of coal were pulled by rope and an engine up and down the same shaft as the men came up and down. Not enough holes were provided as the waggons passed by the men going up and down. Henry was caught and dragged by one of the waggons and broke his pelvis dying a year later of his injury.

Ann won the case and was award £160. It was revealed they had filled up a refuge hole sometime before the accident and a lamp on the waggon wasn't used due to the expense of cotton and oil for it.

Guest Ray Battye

Gannister mines also mined coal so they were sometimes called collieries. There were dozens of these scattered down the western hills of Sheffield, especially around Stocksbridge, Oughtibridge, Worrall Wadsley, Loxley, Dungworth etc and also some in Dore, Abbeydale Valley and so on.

I have had a book published called The Forgotten Mines of Sheffield which is a detailed history of these mines. This is no longer in shops but I have copies for sale at home.

Contact me at Raybats@aol.com or phone 01142864418 if you want further information.

Ray Battye