The Wicker/Around The Wicker

Sheffield History

I'm looking for some general information on the history of the Wicker and the surrounding streets

Anything really - just an overview of what used to be down there over the years...

Any particular year ?

Joseph GREEN Ginger beer maker &c. 100 Wicker White's 1852

Richard RIDGE Shopkeeper and ginger beer maker 67 Wicker White's 1852

Jesse STEEL Bellows Makers 1 Stanley Street, Wicker Pigot's 1828-9

Thomas LINLEY Bellows Makers ((& Son) Patentees of the Treble Circular & Long Shaped Bell 1 Stanley Street, Wicker Pigot's 1828-9

------ LINLEY Bellows maker Wicker Holden's 1811

Thomas LINLEY Bellows maker (circular & common) 1 Stanley Street, Wicker Baines 1822

A "Viz oooh-er" moment there with the long-shaped bell he he

Loads of pubs (do you know I like old Sheffield pubs ? :huh: ) and this ...

John WRIGHT Temperance hotel 114 Wicker White's 1911

John WRIGHT Temperance hotel 114 Wicker White's 1919

Mrs Clara WRIGHT Temperance Hotel 114 Wicker Kelly's 1925

Under my um-bre-rella <hey><hey><hey

Under my um-ber-rella

Sing along ....

William ANSON umbrella manufacturer & furrier 21 Wicker; 15 Exchange St, 265 Glossop Road; 18 Castle St & 113 Pinstone St White's 1911

Mrs Lucy HARRISON Umbrella Manufacturer [William Anson] 21 Wicker White's 1911

Joseph HABBISHAW umbrella maker 8 King Street; h. 9 Wicker White's 1833

William ANSON Umbrella manufacturer & furrier 21 Wicker; 18 Castle Street & 113 Pinstone Street White's 1919

William ANSON Umbrella Manufacturer 21 Wicker ; 18 Castle Street ; 113 Pinstone Street & 266 Glossop Road Kelly's 1925

wssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

The kitten/catlette typed the last bit

Fent anyone ?

Fent ???

Edwin Cicero BOND Fent dealer 35 Wicker; h. 13 Mountville, Abbeydale White's 1911

Edwin Cicero BOND Fent dealer 35 Wicker; h. 24 Steade Road White's 1919

BOND'S Fent Stores (Sheffield) Ltd., drapers 35 Wicker Kelly's 1925

Moo

Thomas STONES cow keeper 7 Wicker Lane White's 1833

Joseph DAVY Cow keeper 8 Walker Street, Wicker Baine's 1822

John HICKSON Cow keeper 13 Wicker Baine's 1822

George MELLOR Cow keeper Andrew Street, Wicker Baine's 1822

James HALL Scissor Manufacturers 71 Wicker Pigot's 1828-9

John HENSON Scissor Manufacturers Willey Street, Wicker Pigot's 1828-9

George HIGGINBOTHAM Scissor Manufacturers Blonk Street, Wicker Pigot's 1828-9

Titus KENT scissorsmith Wicker Gales & Martin 1787

William TWIGG scissorsmith Wicker Gales & Martin 1787

George HIGGINBOTHAM scissor manufacturer and cutler 74 Wicker White's 1833

Francis OATES Fine scissor manufacturer Wicker Holden's 1811

RHODES, CHAMPION (& Son) fine scissor and razor manufacturers and dealers in cutlery Wicker Holden's 1811

George HIGGINBOTHAM Scissor manufacturer 81 Wicker Baine's 1822

Francis OATES Scissor manufacturer 22 Wicker Baine's 1822

RHODES, CHAMPION (& Son) razor, scissor & table knife manufacturers 10 Wicker Baine's 1822

Joseph Henry DIXON Water Gilder Wicker Pigot's 1828-9

Water Gilder - a trapper of waterbirds.

Fent - www.fabricsatthefentshop.com (A fent is an offcut of lace!)

A raff dealer is someone who deals in second-hand goods, usually of a marine nature, so I'm not sure how it fits here, unless it means reclaimed timber?

My ancestor was living on Walker Street together with his wife, two children and four lodgers. He had moved there from Totley in the 1840s. He was a guard on the new fangled railway!

'Titanic Steel Company'. Seems this company also went down ! It was through gates next to the Wicker Picture Palace ( known as 'The dirty pictures' in the late 50's/60's due to the sexy films they showed e.g. 'The Flesh is Weak' etc..

The Wicker Cinema continued to present its "mucky" or "artistic" offerings, depending on ones point of view into the 1980's. The Wicker was the HO of two famous steel companies...Arthur Balfour and Co. Ltd....who were also the Consulate for ( I think) Belgium and Denmark. They merged with Darwins in the 1960s and went out of business in the 1980's...together with much of the rest of Sheffield's old steel companies. The other one was Samuel Osborn and Co. which incorporated Titanic Steel. Their electric melting shop was adjacent to the Wicker and sat on the top deck of a tram would often allow sight of molten steel being tapped from the furnace. Osborn's moved to a new works in Ecclesfield in the 1970's and went out of business in the 1980's.

30 minutes ago, VicRichardson said:

Wasn't Samuel Osborn's Rolling mill in the Wicker?

Yes it was, behind the main offices at top of the Wicker. When I started there and had my introduction visit around the company I was shown the 'new' rolling mill and told 'it was bought second-hand just after the first world war - so pretty new then (I didn't dare ask how old the old rolling mill was) As far as I know the 'new' rolling mill was moved up to Ecclesfield.

By the time I started electric arc melting had moved to Low Moor at Bradford and the yard (Low Yard(?)), next to the Wicker Picture Palace, was used as a car park.

One thing I do remember from working in the offices on the Wicker was the vibration from the hammers. 

In the 1940/50s the melting shop was still active and could be observed from the upper deck of a tram. An old acquaintance was Head Melter and always told the tale of a "playful" snowball being thrown  , landing with "interesting" results as the furnace was being tapped!

In the 60's No. 91 The Wicker was Sheffield Communist Party HQ (next to the Station Hotel). The ground floor was occupied by the Bookshop (can't remember the name) which sold books and left wing literature. During this period Communist Party membership in South Yorkshire was relatively high allowing for the employment of a full time local official. (Bob Wilkinson?). George Fletcher, founder of the famous Sheffield bakery was a party member.