The Penthouse Nightclub Sheffield

Sheffield History

Guest ExHeartbeatregular

Hi Dave

Bridget here (ex go-go dancer Penthouse), the one someone is looking for. Not been on the site for a while so haven't seen your posting until now. Is it you? I was shocked when I found out someone was looking for me, didn't think anyone would remember me after all this time. I can only remember a few people from those days - went regularly in mid1970 for a while then early to mid1973; also worked in the cloakroom some nights around June/July1973. I am not slim and pretty as I was in those days - the best part of 40 years and responsibilities/worries have taken their toll.

I remember a small Penthouse go-go dancer called Baby Jane. She was very energetic! There used to be a long LP track 'I'm a Man' by Chicago that she 'freaked out' to onstage! I had one or two dates with her. Nice lady.

I wish the person looking for ex go-go dancer Bridget (me) would sign in an say who they are. I am extremely curious as to who it is.

Hi, sorry i missed your reply, you were friends with my mum. Pm sent to you.

I first visited the Penthouse early 1971, the first time I'd taken a girlfiend in with me, mostly it was meet me in there. Loved its intamacy, and frequented the place over the next couple of years through its rock era prior to being rebels, not to mention the Wednesday 10p drinks nights. Big Brian on the door also did the Buccaneer door.

THE PENTHOUSE NIGHTCLUB

Dixon Lane - Sheffield City Centre

PICTURES

attachicon.gifpenthous...ightclub.jpg

attachicon.gifpenthouse.jpg

picture - jason

attachicon.gifpenthouse2.jpg attachicon.gifPenthous...llomural.jpg

pictures and artwork - Paul Norton

INFORMATION

Opened by Peter Stringfellow ?

We dont' have a lot to go on so it's over to you guys for information about the club when it was 'The Penthouse'. Did you go ? Do you know anyone that worked there ? Do you have any pictures ?

LINKS

Penthouse Page - http://www.rockreunited.co.uk

Hi Cyril,

my name is pola, I remember those stairs and all the strange things I usually faced at Penthouse. I enjoied the club in late 74 and early 75 in it I used to spend all my nights for many months. Great nights and many nice memories. In that period I got known someone who worked as a DJ calling Dave, is it right?

sorry took so long to reply .DJ name was wee pipe west

I used to be a Penthouse regular on a Friday night, I was a bit later than most of you it was probably around 1978[9 that we used to go in. The one person I remember was Ali, the guy who ran the little snack bar back then, he made as much money from his Find the Lady as he did from serving burgers.

Guest Littledaler2

Sorry, don't have any photos but just wanted to say that I LOVED The Penthouse. Remember (early 70s) seeing The Alan Bown there - the singer had long wavy hair, wore suede trousers, sewn up the sides with big leather crossed stitching and platform boots - sooo sexy; I didn't want to leave that night.

The posters (No pun intended) are post 71/72 as Wednesday was 10p drinks night.

My fav Tracks played were Gypsy Uriah Heap and Bowies Ziggy Stardust and Star Man.

Live band I followed then and still do now was Sheffields top guitar man 'The Frank White Band'

Wednesday we would always stay until kicked out at around 0215 before meandering up to Fargate for a Whimpy followed by the walk

home to Walkley. We were usually a mixed group lads and lasses numbering between 8 and 20 and at least half the number would be in the Walkley Cottage Thursday lunch.

Of the males that went down most played for the Cottage football team other than Hawkeye and Wheaty, though Wheaty did manage a

season a couple of years later.

Dear Lord, sticky carpets! Brilliant music, great nights, toilets left a bit to be desired :/ many adventures as a young teen. One night remember coming out (without falling in my 6" platforms) to be chatted up by two policemen, who obviously knew we were under age, and offered us a lift home :? Decidedly dodgy, fortunately we were streetwise and didn't take them up on the lift, haha

Played there a few times in the late 70's punk era. It was amazing how the singer always used to go AWOL when it came to carrying the bass cabinet up all those flights of stairs!

I remember Mrs May being on the cloakroom in 1975 and a guy called Richard Marshall was DJ at that time. I'm sure the manager at that time was called John. I had many happy nights there, the atmosphere was good and I saw many famous faces who came in after their gigs in Sheffield 

Met my wife in there on April the 18th 1973 - alway went in on Wednesday for cheap drink night - happy days

On 16/02/2007 at 23:01, Sheffield History said:

THE PENTHOUSE NIGHTCLUB

Dixon Lane - Sheffield City Centre

PICTURES

penthouse_nightclub.jpg

penthouse.jpg

picture - jason

penthouse2.jpgPenthouseapollomural.jpg

pictures and artwork - Paul Norton

INFORMATION

Opened by Peter Stringfellow ?

We dont' have a lot to go on so it's over to you guys for information about the club when it was 'The Penthouse'. Did you go ? Do you know anyone that worked there ? Do you have any pictures ?

LINKS

Penthouse Page - http://www.rockreunited.co.uk

Singer in the burnt photo Trevor Birch.

Me  and my sister used to be regulars at the Penthouse 1972 - 1975 I loved the vibe in there and the music was good, one of the DJs was called Richard and a guy called John managed it. We had some brilliant nights, the stairs were a killer and the loo's left sa lot to be desired. There was a guy called Dave who's mum ran the cloakroom....... Happy nights 

I was at Sheffield Uni 1973-77 and then stayed on 2 years to work in Sheffield. I only liked prog rock and loud rock so the likes of Genevieves were never for me. Used to go to the Penthouse quite regularly with friends and I mainly remember the stairs, the sticky carpet, great music and cheap drinks. I also remember going down to Crystal Palace to watch the Owls (lost 4-0) and when we got back to Sheffield stupidly went to the Penthouse still wearing my Wednesday shirt (I had had a few!) only to get surrounded on the dance floor by several very unfriendly Blades fans. Luckily the guys I was with saw what was happening and they were a lot bigger and older than the red and white contingent, so all ended well!

The same here I was an owls fan and in a minority there lol. Yup those stairs were a killer,I have always had a ecliptic choice in music from hard rock to my hero David Bowie and Roxy  Music, what liked is whatever your musical choice you could have a top night there. The other clubs were too middle of the road for me a bit tame.