Boys Brigade

johnm

Any ex-members of The Boys Brigade in Sheffield out there ?

I was in the 53rd Sheffield at Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Church which is still going and recently celebrated its 75th anniversary.

I did Duke of Edinburghs award with people from Beck Road, Firth Park and Andover Street; names to mention are Barry Trigg, Alan Clegg, John Spencer etc.

John

Any ex-members of The Boys Brigade in Sheffield out there?

I was in the 53rd Sheffield at Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Church which is still going and recently celebrated its 75th anniversary.

I did Duke of Edinburghs award with people from Beck Road, Firth Park and Andover Street; names to mention are Barry Trigg, Alan Clegg, John Spencer etc.

John

Hi johnm I was in The Boys Brigade at Firth Park you might find this thread interesting.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...?showtopic=1034

Hi johnm I was in The Boys Brigade at Firth Park you might find this thread interesting.

Hi Syrup, Did you know John Spencer the butcher? We went to school together and did Duke of Edinburgh's Gold together.

I remember once using one of the roofs of Firth Park Meths Chapel's building when we were practising getting an injured patient down from a cliff (the roof!) on a stretcher. We actually did the proper demonstration from one of the stands at Bramall Lane when we celebrated the centenary of the BB in Sheffield during half time at a football match I think.

It was a good campany at Firth Park and I have happy memories of activities with people from there.

John

Hi Syrup, Did you know John Spencer the butcher? We went to school together and did Duke of Edinburgh's Gold together.

I remember once using one of the roofs of Firth Park Meths Chapel's building when we were practising getting an injured patient down from a cliff (the roof!) on a stretcher. We actually did the proper demonstration from one of the stands at Bramall Lane when we celebrated the centenary of the BB in Sheffield during half time at a football match I think.

It was a good campany at Firth Park and I have happy memories of activities with people from there.

John

Hi johnm Sorry about my late reply to your post i vaguely remember a Butchers son but i can't recall his name and i'am not sure wether he was in my class at school or the Boys Brigade it was a long time ago ??

I was in the Boys Brigade for a short while at St Johns on crookesmoor Road a mate of mine was in it also John Rastall.

Guest crookesmoorlad

I was in the Boys Brigade for a short while at St Johns on crookesmoor Road a mate of mine was in it also John Rastall.

Hello Desy, that would haave been the 4th Sheffield company then , here is a photo of the St John's Boys Brigade 4th coy., I am in the bottom right corner , behind me is Gordon Taylor the captain and to his left is another young lad who played the cornet. Could this be John Rastall ? The photo was taken in 1962 on the Whit sunday parade.

Hello Desy, that would haave been the 4th Sheffield company then , here is a photo of the St John's Boys Brigade 4th coy., I am in the bottom right corner , behind me is Gordon Taylor the captain and to his left is another young lad who played the cornet. Could this be John Rastall ? The photo was taken in 1962 on the Whit sunday parade.

Not certain JR had a more rounder face.

Guest Charlie Wag

I was in the Boys brigade on Roebuck rd probably around 1963 era .

It was in the chuch hall which went on to be The Ark club where all the Mods used to hang out .

Guest MarkyB

Well, chaps you'll be pleased to know the Boys' Brigade is still going in Sheffield, Still companies at Firth Park, Grimesthorpe and Firvale and Shiregreen and across the city as well as Dronfield Chesterfield and Carlton-in - Lindrick see the Battalion website http://sheffield.boys-brigade.org.uk.

Boys Brigade is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year. We're holding a show of our Memorabillia at the Sheffield Traditional Hertitage Museum on 27th of September 2008 as part of our celebrations. the Battalion Parade will be at Firth Park Methodist Church on 12th October. Details on the web site nearer the time. All old Boys welcome. I hope you don't mind but I've printed your pictures to be included.

It was in the chuch hall which went on to be The Ark club where all the Mods used to hang out .

Who is charlie wag? I went to the girls brigade there and used to go to the disco, there was John Lindley, Bill Hempstock, Alan Baines, Metcalf twins Ann Glossop, Sheila Allott, Barbara Bridden (who's boyfriend was Peter Metcalf).My name was Jean Hutchinson and I lived opposite the washhouse.

Guest disleydog

I only just found this site so have been reading some of the old posts , I was in the Boys Brigade , first 15th Sheffield Ebenezer ecclesfield Till it had to close then went to Trinity which was a Platoon , of Firth Park 44th Sheffield , Ben Wing was captain , a great fellow , went to camp on the Isle of Mann , must have been about 1960 .. I was also part of the team that took part in the demo at Bramall Lane . we built the A frames that brought the stretcher onto the pitch .

I only just found this site so have been reading some of the old posts , I was in the Boys Brigade , first 15th Sheffield Ebenezer ecclesfield Till it had to close then went to Trinity which was a Platoon , of Firth Park 44th Sheffield , Ben Wing was captain , a great fellow , went to camp on the Isle of Mann , must have been about 1960 .. I was also part of the team that took part in the demo at Bramall Lane . we built the A frames that brought the stretcher onto the pitch .

Here is the photo of the Bramall lane display

Left to right Ian Reynolds, John Spencer, ?, Alan Clegg, somebody mostly obscured, me John Moore, ?. Which are you? Presumably you knew John Spencer - we went to Hinde House school from it opening in 1956. Ben Wing did a great job at Firth Park.

Guest disleydog

Hello John , great to see the photo , must have been on the other A Frame , with pete & mike martin , fred pegg , norman northcliffe , and me Arthur Stokes , we all came from the Ecclesfield Platoon and went to Ecclesfield Grammar . Peter Cooper came to us as a warrant officer . We often came up to Firth Park for the first aid competitions . We were a good team and won the battallion trophy twice . Iremember being tied on that Bl**** stretcher during practices .was rather painful if the rope slipped a bit , left you with a squeaky voice !! It was a Yorkshire cricket match if I remember correctly . Just look at the gear we had , all ex army/RAF surplus comando cotton smocks .

Hello John , great to see the photo , must have been on the other A Frame , with pete & mike martin , fred pegg , norman northcliffe , and me Arthur Stokes , we all came from the Ecclesfield Platoon and went to Ecclesfield Grammar . Peter Cooper came to us as a warrant officer . We often came up to Firth Park for the first aid competitions . We were a good team and won the battallion trophy twice . Iremember being tied on that Bl**** stretcher during practices .was rather painful if the rope slipped a bit , left you with a squeaky voice !! It was a Yorkshire cricket match if I remember correctly . Just look at the gear we had , all ex army/RAF surplus comando cotton smocks .

Hi Arthur, I keep trying to remember what the occasion was; the 75th annnversary of founding of Sheffield Battalion was in 1964 so I think it was probably that. I well remember Norman Nortcliffe & his dad Ernest who I think originally attended our chapel at Grimesthorpe WR & probably our BB company. Great days !!!!!!!

Its a great shame the number of companies has gone down so much. I keep in touch with Barrie Trigg who is doing a great job at the 32rd which is now at St James & St Christophers on Bellhouse Rd. I am President of Teesside Battalion but we are sadly down to 4 companies from 30 in the 1970's.

If you have any BB photos please put them on . Here is one of us at camp at Jersey in 1961.

Best wishes, John

Guest disleydog

Well John , I left school in 1963 , and it was before that , so don't know what it was either .

Can't believe you you are President of Teesside Battallion , It's just a small world . I moved to Teesside in 1965 , and am still here . Currently live in Marton !!!Where are you at ?

My dad actually was Captain of the 15th Sheffield Coy , John Stokes , and his no 2 was Charlie Walker

Hi all

You may be able to answer a couple of the questions of my early years ive struggled to remember.

I was in the boys brigade and we attended at a wooden hut just off Yew Lane on the footpath that goes between the Youlgreave and Rocher estates

Can anyone tell me what company it would have been?I`ve a feeling it was called Creswick but...

Also I have memories of attending a very busy sports day in the late 60s possibly early seventies but I cant recall the location ,always had it in my mind we travelled on the 17 bus to somewhere at Firth Park ? but also got a memory of it being in the grounds of a large house or hall

Thanks

Hi all

You may be able to answer a couple of the questions of my early years ive struggled to remember.

I was in the boys brigade and we attended at a wooden hut just off Yew Lane on the footpath that goes between the Youlgreave and Rocher estates

Can anyone tell me what company it would have been?I`ve a feeling it was called Creswick but...

Also I have memories of attending a very busy sports day in the late 60s possibly early seventies but I cant recall the location ,always had it in my mind we travelled on the 17 bus to somewhere at Firth Park ? but also got a memory of it being in the grounds of a large house or hall

Thanks

Hi Chap lad, Yes I think it was Creswick Greave Methodist Church.; I can't remember the company name though but it may have been 21A as I think it started as Platoon of Hillsborough. I was at 53rd Co at Grimesthorpe but in 1973 went up to help my friend Dave Bennett who was running Creswick Greave on his own. About 1974 his job moved away from Sheffield & I (John Moore) ran the company on my own until my job moved out of Sheffield in Summer 1976 when we sadly had to close the company. I recall it was only for company section age group lads.. I really enjoyed my time there largely because of the great NCO's who were a wonderful help.

I recall kids coming to mess on the outside door & we had pre-planned that we would all rush out, half of us one way out of the door , the others the other way to scare them off!

Hi Meersbrook, Which Company & District were you in? I was in 4th District & the photos lookn as though they show one of the other Districts.

John

Hi Meersbrook, Which Company & District were you in? I was in 4th District & the photos lookn as though they show one of the other Districts.

John

Was in the 78th Coy, Brunswick Trinity Ch, Highfields, Can't remember district think it was either 1 or 2

Was in the 78th Coy, Brunswick Trinity Ch, Highfields, Can't remember district think it was either 1 or 2

Sorry this was sent from my sons account

Hi Charlie Wag it was St Nathaniels Church Lads Brigade I was drum major about 1955 to 1958 Graham Simpson

Hi Arthur, Great to see that you have kept those certificates. I have still got my badges but no certs.

Interestingly I see one is signed by E Nortcliff (Ernest, company captain) on behalf of B Wing (Ben who was captain of 54th at Firth Park) who must have signed it as 4th District Convener I think.

John

My great uncle Walter was a Captain in the Boys Brigade at All Saints before WW2 and I was in both the Life Boys and Brigade at Firth Park Methodist's ( 54th from memory) I also remember Spencer's the butchers and John and his sister and , of course, Ben Wing.