Page Hall

johnm

I was born on the lower part of Hinde House Lane ( No 97) in 1944 and lived there until 1968 so Page Hall was where we did all our shopping, caught the tram or bus etc.

I recall lots of the shops including one department store which had an overhead system for sending the money to the office and getting the change back but can't remember their names.

Does anyone have any photos of Page Hall or remember the names of shops?

John

I was born on the lower part of Hinde House Lane ( No 97) in 1944 and lived there until 1968 so Page Hall was where we did all our shopping, caught the tram or bus etc.

I recall lots of the shops including one department store which had an overhead system for sending the money to the office and getting the change back but can't remember their names.

John

Hi John,

We lived on Ellerton Road in the 1970s and my grandparents lived down at Grimethorpe so we saw a lot of Page Hall. I remember Popes and my grandparents always bought there furniture 2nd hand from Patnicks - remember that?

He are some memories from a book " From Bandstand to Monkey Run : voices from Firth park, Shiregreen & Page Hall" published by the S C Libraries in 1980s. Hope this stirs your memory!

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182758041.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182758057.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182758078.jpg

Thanks Dunsbyowl for the info. Its amazing how soon we forget things but having seen the book extracts all the shops come back !

My grandma lived at Grimesthorpe too (43 Rothay Road) and I went to Owler lane Infants and Grimesthorpe Junior school. I was a lad in The Boys Brigade at Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Chapel on Upwell Street.

Also spent many happy hours trainspotting at Brightside Station !

I too was an Owl until British Steel took me to Teesside (move or don't have a job!)

My first job was at English Steel were I started in 1960 and I remember one day in the early 60's when Brightside Lane flooded and we were on the top floor of the offiecs watching the cars floating down the road - sadly history repeated itself yesterday .

Cheers, John

Hi John,

We lived on Ellerton Road in the 1970s and my grandparents lived down at Grimethorpe so we saw a lot of Page Hall. I remember Popes and my grandparents always bought there furniture 2nd hand from Patnicks - remember that?

He are some memories from a book " From Bandstand to Monkey Run : voices from Firth park, Shiregreen & Page Hall" published by the S C Libraries in 1980s. Hope this stirs your memory!

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182758041.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182758057.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-513-1182758078.jpg

Nice to see The Maypole Shop mentioned my late mother drove for them in the mid to late 1950s she was based at the Firth Park Branch and garaged the van at Credlands at Sheffield Lane Top, They also had Branches at Darnal and Cumberland Street of the Moor in Sheffield, Many happy days on school hollidays helping with deliveries, ( excuse my sister in photo ).

Nice to see The Maypole Shop mentioned my late mother drove for them in the mid to late 1950s she was based at the Firth Park Branch and garaged the van at Credlands at Sheffield Lane Top, They also had Branches at Darnal and Cumberland Street of the Moor in Sheffield, Many happy days on school hollidays helping with deliveries, ( excuse my sister in photo ).

Great to see your Sister, or, indeed anyone "real" in an old photo :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Great to see your Sister, or, indeed anyone "real" in an old photo :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more and further she is :

1) dressed appropriately for her age

2) smiling

3) not gesticulating

4) not wearing a baseball cap or track suit

Hi John

Could the department store be Banners, they had a cash system like you describe? But that wasn't on Page Hall, it was on Barnsley Rd opposite Herries Rd

Hi John

Could the department store be Banners, they had a cash system like you describe? But that wasn't on Page Hall, it was on Barnsley Rd opposite Herries Rd

Hi Bayleaf, I don't really know. I just have vivid memories of the shop which I am sure was on the corner where Firth Park road meets Page Hall road - on the left hand corner as you go towards the city.

May be I have got it wrong though - its a long time ago !!

Cheers, John

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

John

This may be of interest...

Guest JK WKA

I wonder if the "department store" at Page Hall could have been Joab Keay's (later Walter Andrew's) drapery and haberdashery store? It is on the corner of Firth Park Rd and Page Hall Rd, numbers 1 and 3 Page Hall Rd, and at one time there was a dairy shop/creamery next door.

Joab Keay, my great, great grandpa, built the store (dated on the roof at 1905), and Walter Andrew, his son-in-law/,my great grandpa, joined the business, eventually passing it on to his son/my grandpa, Walter Keay Andrew, who continued to run it into the 1960s. I believe it then became a bank, but sadly, since then, it has gradually fallen into disrepair, being run as an Asian convenience store, and the stone "JK, 1905" sign on the roof is long since gone.

I think there was a fire there in recent years, but I'm planning on going over to Page Hall soon to take photos of whatever remains of the shop.

Joab Keay was also responsible for building many houses, etc, in Sheffield - we still have some of the original plans/drawings/documents - so I'm hoping he'll be quite an easy/rewarding person to research, as I think he would have been in the news fairly regularly around the turn of the 19th/20th centuries.

My great grandfather was Robert Richford, who played in and conducted the prize-winning Dannemora brass band.

I have a decent early B&W postcard that shows the shop, along with some of the others in the area, early in the 20th century, but unfortunately I haven't figured out how to upload images on this site.

Guest JK WKA

Hello, johnm. If the store was the first one on the corner of Page Hall Road and Firth Park Rd, it was definitely Joab Keay's/Walter Andrew's shop - on the left as you head towards the city, exactly as you described it. It was the largest store in that area, with quite an impressive frontage. My Mum's father ran it for many years, and she went there very regularly. There are a number of photos of the shop in existence.

The shop is on the far right in the picture, taken, I would guess quite early in the 20th century.

Hi JK WKA, Yes thats the shop. Do you know how long it was Joab Keay's/Walter Andrew's? Could Banners have bought it from them? I was born in 1944 so early memories are from late 40's to 60's when I got married & left Page Hall.

Would love to see any other photos you have of it.

Guest JK WKA

Hello, johnm. The shop was built by my great great grandfather, Joab Keay (dated on the roof 1905), and his son-in-law Walter Andrew joined him to run it, then took over himself by the time Joab died in 1923, aged 68. Later, after Walter senior died at just 56 years of age in 1931, his son, Walter junior, my Grandpa, ran the shop - right up to his retirement in the early 1960s (so it would have been Andrew's all the time you knew it in the late 40s to 1960s and was never a Banners store). It was then sold and became a bank, and more recently an Asian general store. I'm attaching another picture, taken later than the previous one, and dated 1920, and it's interesting to see the changes in ownership of the adjoining shops; next door by 1920 was J.R.Parr's creamery, and next to that Kramer's butchers - one of several shops they had across Sheffield, I think. In this photo, it was still called Joab Keay's, and I think Walters senior and junior carried on that name for a little while, before eventually altering it to Andrew's, which it remained until it closed in the 60s. Sadly, I'm too young ever to have been to the shop while it was in our family's possession - it looked very impressive.

Hi JK WKA, Many thanks for the info. It certainly resolves the debate. I remember it being a bank later on as my parents banked there.

Best wishes, John

The shop I think being referred to was on the other side of the road. I thought it was Banners,....I know that it became one of Patnicks "junk shops" sometime in the 70s .

There was a Banners branch at Fir Vale too until the 1960s at least and the large Patnick's junk shop was a Co-op selling hardware etc. again certainly in the 1960s.

Lyn

Guest Barbara M

There was a Banners branch at Fir Vale too until the 1960s at least and the large Patnick's junk shop was a Co-op selling hardware etc. again certainly in the 1960s.

Lyn

This is correct as I lived in the area ( Firth Park & Page Hall ) all my young life up to getting married in 1966 & remember my Mum going in the Co-op to buy hardware etc.

Guest ianb

Hello, johnm. If the store was the first one on the corner of Page Hall Road and Firth Park Rd, it was definitely Joab Keay's/Walter Andrew's shop - on the left as you head towards the city, exactly as you described it. It was the largest store in that area, with quite an impressive frontage. My Mum's father ran it for many years, and she went there very regularly. There are a number of photos of the shop in existence.

The shop is on the far right in the picture, taken, I would guess quite early in the 20th century.attachicon.gifPAGE HALL P CARD QUICKcropRESIZE.jpg

What surprised me was the Destination Board on the Tram. Did they go all the way to Crookes in those days? Where was the terminus, Sheffield Lane Top?