Herdings Farm House

duckweed

What does anyone know of Herdings Farmhouse when it was a farm. I believe the farmer was called EW Marsh and left in the late 1950s early 1960s. Are there any maps that show all the farm buildings and any more detail about the Marsh family. The Herdings building now a community centre are hoping to trace the history of the building and the farm.   

Sheffield Archive have  a Deed to make a tenant (lease and release) document ref OD/29,3 dated 1-2 Nov 1785: “John Bagshawe of Oakes, third son of Richard Bagshaw late of Oakes, deceased, to Francis Gregg of Skinners Hall, London. Messuages, etc., in Norton, the Herdings Farm and other property in Norton and Dronfield. To suffer a recovery in favour of John Lingard, yeoman, of Astley, parish of Leigh, co. Lancaster.”

Also documents OD/28, 704, 705, 706 dated 5-6 Dec 1732 which includes a prenuptial settlement (lease and release and counterpart):“Richard Bagshaw the elder of Castleton, esquire and Richard Bagshaw the younger his eldest son and heir, to John Simpson of Stoke (co. Derby), clerk, and William Drake of Cotes (Yorks.), esquire. In consideration of the marriage to be had between Richard Bagshaw the younger and Mary Simpson of Renishaw, spinster and £2,500 her dowry; all the messuages, lands etc., in Norton, lately purchased by Richard Bagshaw the elder from Thomas Stones of Mosbrough, esquire, the messuage called Herdings farm in the occupation of Robert and Thomas Bagshaw (except certain timber rights), a third part of messuages and lands in Norton and Dronfield lately purchased of Thomas Bagshaw of Middleton by Wirksworth and formerly the inheritance of Samuel Wood, and all their property in Tideswell, to certain uses: from the date of the intended marriage to the use of Richard Bagshaw the younger, and a rent charge of £200 to Mary if she survive her husband; and other stated uses.”

In 1843 the furniture and farming stock of the farm was being sold:

Herdings Farm Sale 1843.png

In the Independent dated 28th November 1846 there was a report that “ a valuable ewe-sheep, the property of Mr Thos. Staniforth of the Herdings Farm, Norton, was feloniously slaughtered in a field in the owner’s occupation adjoining Swing Lee wood”,  Mr Staniforth offered a £10 reward for apprehension of the vagabonds.

In 1851 the census showed both Thomas Staniforth and Thomas Oldfield Hazard as farming at Herdings. At the 1861 census collection the following were farming at Herdings Farm:  Thomas Staniforth aged 56 farming 170 acres also Thomas Hazard aged 76 farming 55 acres and employing 2 men and a boy. At the 1871 census Hazard and Staniforth were still at the farm.  By 1881 Elijah Wragg had replaced Staniforth, but Mr Hazard was still there, the arrangement was still in place in 1891. Wragg had been farming in the area for many years.In 1901 Wragg was farming at The Herdings with a host of support workers and a miner Rufus Rhodes, Thomas Staniforth now retired and just lodging. By 1905 Joseph Rhodes was list in Whites Directory as co-farming with Wragg (now 86 years of age). In 1911 Joseph Rhodes was farming at The Herdings, together with Agnes Marsh (farmers wife).

In 1896 Elijah Wragg was retiring from farming and the following advertisement was placed, presumably he changed his mind and continued:

Herdings Farm Sale 1896.png

Thanks that's really interesting I know Wood mentioned owned a lot of Norton farm land as have come across the name before in connection with Hemsworth I think. 

I would think that the actual owner of most of the land around Norton was the Bagshaws. I used to live on Glenorchy Road off Bannerdale Road where my ground rent was paid to "The Bagshaw Estate".

Not on the tythe list. The owner in 1806 is Samuel Linley. The Herdings wood and plantations belonged to William Bagshawe. Unless there is error in transcription. 

Nice photo. Where does it come from and when was it taken? Also are there any more. The Historian who was listing cruck structures said there were other buildings.

On 24/09/2016 at 18:32, duckweed said:

Nice photo. Where does it come from and when was it taken? Also are there any more. The Historian who was listing cruck structures said there were other buildings.

I have a contact at the Star who sent this one and another one too, I think it was taken in the 50 s but I could be wrong. 

I have traced my family tree back to a Henry Stannyforthe buried in 1575 at St. James Norton, his son William Stannyforthe (Will'mus) was baptised in the same church 1560 and on his Baptism record his father Henry is down as being from The Heardynges (Herdings), which apparently is linked to the farm specifically according to Geoff White, rector of St. James. It was interesting to read here that the Staniforth's also had a link to the farm in the 1800s.

Does anyone know of anywhere you could get the land ownership records for the farm.

For most of the period the farm / estate / manor would be passed on by copyhold, where the manor court records were used to record details as there were limited literate people and secure storage for documents.  We are lucky in Sheffield that T Walter Hall has transcribed many of the Court Rolls.  I'd guess that the court that administered Herdings was Eckington, and H.J.H. Garratt edited a series of books (volume 5 "Eckington 1964-1804 volume 5 - The Court Rolls, previous volumes dealt with earlier periods). The Local Studies library has volumes 4 and 5 and also a copy of a T Walter Hall book of assorted records including some from Eckington. A visit to the Sheffield Archives could also be productive, for example late 13th century documents reference JC/4/13 deeds from the Jackson collection - charters regarding land in Norton including the manor of Heyridding (manerium del heyridding) includes for example:

Charter confirming a grant from Thomas Chaworth knight lord of Norton to John Luterel son of Sir Alexander Luterel, and to Rose his wife, younger daughter of Thomas Chaworth, of the manor of Heyridding (manerium del heyridding) in Norton, which Alice Castelayn had of his gift, with grazing rights in Rohawe and the wood thereof.
Witnesses: Sir Thomas de Furnyvall [Sir Thomas de Furnival], Sir Adam de Everingham and Sir Walter de Gaushull knights, Sir William de Fulkyngham then abbot of Beauchamp [Beauchief], Sir Roger de Brailesford then rector of Dranesfeld, John Ayncourt, John de Brymington

Is that building the same as the Herdings community centre? And are we looking at it from the slope that leads down to the supertram crossing point?  

When I was looking for information for Herdings because the landowners ie were Chaworth, Foljambe, Roos, and Babbington the early info is in the Nottingham archives under Derby Notts. In earlier times the area was under the Sheriff of Nottingham. So might be worth looking at what you can find in Nottingham catalogues.

1 hour ago, duckweed said:

When I was looking for information for Herdings because the landowners ie were Chaworth, Foljambe, Roos, and Babbington the early info is in the Nottingham archives under Derby Notts. In earlier times the area was under the Sheriff of Nottingham. So might be worth looking at what you can find in Nottingham catalogues.

Never even considered Nottingham, thanks for the idea, I'm already going to the Sheffield and Matlock archives when I'm home so will add Nottingham to the list