Buildng at the side of The Old Crown

tozzin

On 1st September 1896 following the decease of landlord M.G Burgoyne,  Messrs Nicholson, Greaves, Barber and Hastings sold the "fully-licensed public-house 'The Old Crown Inn' 710 Penistone Road, with the shoeing forge and yard attached" for £32,000" at the Cutlers Hall.   The current building doesn't look much like a forge.

Old Crown Inn Sept 1896.png

In March 1901 the council bought part of the Old Crown from Henry Tomlinson Ltd (Anchor Brewery) for road widening, perhaps that was was the forge area?  The main footprint of the  building(s) appears unchanged since 1854 though the bay fronted section is later.

Old Crown Inn 1854.png

The current bay windows looks more like a part of the pub than anything else...I wonder why you feel it might have originally been a part of something else?

6 hours ago, lysander said:

The current bay windows looks more like a part of the pub than anything else...I wonder why you feel it might have originally been a part of something else?

I never thought it was something else, it was an enquiry from an internet friend and placing the thread here bolstered what I thought, my friend thought it may have been a vicarage for the near by St Johns,  which is quite wrong as it's far to close to the Crown and it's as you say it looks just like an extension to the Crown