Parker Place?

Calvin72

On one corner of the Nottingham House pub in Broomhill, above the pub sign, there is lettering that seems to say 'Parker Place'. It is on the corner of Parkers Road, but what is, or was, Parker Place? A previous road or a previous name for the building perhaps? Never noticed it before the other day - I took a photo but it's not very good quality I'm afraid. 

On 8/27/2016 at 21:35, Calvin72 said:

On one corner of the Nottingham House pub in Broomhill, above the pub sign, there is lettering that seems to say 'Parker Place'. It is on the corner of Parkers Road, but what is, or was, Parker Place? A previous road or a previous name for the building perhaps? Never noticed it before the other day - I took a photo but it's not very good quality I'm afraid. 

I have found this item relating to the property if it helps.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 07 September 1895

Parker's.JPG

Thanks syrup! So the Nottingham House address was Parker's Place in 1895. Looks like a former name for Parkers Road, or a previous road. Parkers Lane is on the other side of the pub. 

With the name being displayed in such a prominent place and obviously incorporated into the stonework of the building itself, isn't it more likely that the building was called "Parkers Place" when first built? Was the pub originally known as "Parkers"? Just as in Sheffield we had "Fagans" and on Shiregreen "Hafferteys" There was a time when pubs were known by their long serving landlords.  Just a thought!