Born 1861 Where did he go to school

shamus

Hello Sheffield This is Thomas Leslie Crooke born Sheffield March 04 1861. I own his Shakespeare's Birthday Book filled with some 900 autographs.

Came to this site in 2008 researching his life.

In Sept 2010 then again on Feb 2010  great earthquakes almost destroyed the city of Christchurch in the South Is of New Zealand. This also took away years of research all stored on discs and a lap top. Fortune smiled and the Dr's Birthday Book survived along with paper files. After replacing the technology I was burgled a couple of days after and everything went again. The Dr's Birthday book remained but all my recent recovered photos of Old Sheffield went with the stolen lap top..

I've put this down for years and decided to now start again.

Can any one help with photos related to Sheffield in the 1800's and the Army Barracks where his father Rev Milward Crooke (Irish) was stationed and his mother Emily nee Hackett ( Irish)  from Birr Offaly.

They lived at 84 Langsetts Rd.

Also this was a tricky one. Have never found  where Thomas Leslie Crooke went to primary school or any school .

I have him in NZ for a year and his Edinburgh University years.

Thank you

Shane (NZ).

20160305_152423.jpg

Thomas Leslie was baptised by his own father at the chapel in the Barracks. He was baptised by his father again in August 1864 at the Sheffield Parish church (now cathedral) (see baptism records below)

TL Crooke Baptism Owlerton 1861.jpg

TL Crooke Baptism Parish Church 1864.jpg

The parish of St John the Baptist, Owlerton, was formed out of St Philip's (Infirmary Road, Sheffield) and became a separate parish in 1876

The Sheffield Barracks on Langsett Road, Hillsborough, fell within the parish, hence their records include a register of baptisms performed in the Military Chapel of the barracks. Both this Military Chapel register and the general series of registers for St John include entries for soldiers and their families.

The church of St John the Baptist, Owlerton, is situated on Penistone Road and is in the Deanery of Hallam.

From Wikipedia’s entry on the Barracks: “There was also a Fives Court, a Riding School, a school for 80 children and accommodation for the schoolmistress, married quarters flats for 50 families provided outside the walls…”

So where Thomas Leslie went to school relies on when the family left Sheffield – if still there when he was school age he probably attended the Barracks school. However his father did appear to move around as would be expected, but his mother may have remained in Sheffield?

In June 1870 Milward was promoted from Chaplain 3rd class to Chaplain 2nd class. In June 1874 “His Excellency the Duke of Abercorn has been pleased to appoint the Rev. Milward Crooke M.A., Senior Chaplain to the Forces in Ireland, one of his Excellency’s Chaplains”.   As at August 1878 Milward was Chaplian 1st Class, based in Cork.

Rev Milward Crooke was placed on retired pay on 23rd June 1887. His retired pay record (from 1st Lancers Regiment, administered by the Royal Hospital Chelsea is below:

Milward Crooke Pay Record.jpg

His probate record is next to that of his son also named Milward, somewhat tragically for his wife Emily.

Milward Crooke death 1901.png

The death notice of one of Thomas’s brother’s sheds a little light – Milward served in the Crimea. He was in the Eastern Campaign, serving in 1854-55, was present at the siege of Sebastopol, and was awarded a Medal with clasp and the Turkish Medal.

CWC Crooke death 1906.png

I can only Thank you  Syrup so much for these records Am I allowed to reproduce these with acknowledgements? Shane