Cossey Road School, Pitsmoor.

Fiddlestick

Anyone know it's history and when was it demolished; any stories, photos ?  Cossey Road was bombed by Zeppelins in WW1 with, I think, the most casualties in the raid, the school obviously surviving it. I know it was in use in the early 60's as a day-release centre for apprentices in the steel industry. 

On 7/22/2016 at 20:52, Fiddlestick said:

Anyone know it's history and when was it demolished; any stories, photos ?  Cossey Road was bombed by Zeppelins in WW1 with, I think, the most casualties in the raid, the school obviously surviving it. I know it was in use in the early 60's as a day-release centre for apprentices in the steel industry. 

I have found these i hope they help.

Sheffield Independent 25 September 1920.

Cossey Road.JPG

Many thanks Syrup. Who would know walking down Cossey Road today as I don't think there's a memorial. I know there is one to the same raid under one of the bridges in Attercliffe somewhere.

Sheffield's air raid alarms were first sounded on 15 July 1915 with four more alarms being raised that year. In 1916 the alarm was raised on twelve occasions, in 1917 three times and in the final year, another three times. Sheffield had two official aircraft landing sites( Redmires and Coal Aston) and as a belated defence against aerial intruders a detachment of the RNAS and "A" flight of the RFC were based there. Seventeen thousand men were deployed around the country manning AA sites and providing anti aircraft defence...and all of these could have been deployed on the Western Front...especially in 1918 at the time of the German last push.

The September 1916 raid on Sheffield lasted 90 minutes during which time 18 incendiary bombs and a similar number of HE bombs were dropped. Eighty nine houses, a hotel and a chapel were either destroyed or badly damaged, All the 28 deaths and those injured were caused by HE bombs, whilst the incendiaries were responsible for £426 of damage. Under the Defence of the Realm Act strict censorship rules were applied to reporting and it wasn't until December 1918 that the rules were relaxed....Not a single shot was fired at the intruder from any of Sheffield's 3 gun sites...never admitted or confirmed but the Officers were all attending a ball at the Grand Hotel. The official explanation was..."to have illuminated the sky with searchlights would have merely guided the intruder on their erratic trip across the city and they were at too high an altitude to be effectively reached".

This rather begs the question. "Why have the guns in the first place?...and my Grandad always swore blind he was drinking with  NCO's and other ranks at a pub just a short distance from  the Wincobank Hill AA site....the men ,presumably,having decided that since the Officers were out on the raz they would do the same!:rolleyes:

On 7/24/2016 at 19:03, Fiddlestick said:

Many thanks Syrup. Who would know walking down Cossey Road today as I don't think there's a memorial. I know there is one to the same raid under one of the bridges in Attercliffe somewhere.

It's on a wall along Effingham Road. A nice memorial, in good condition.

Will take a look thanks, but don't yet know how to get a photo on as my young grandson's on holiday !

The memorial , which is built into the walls of Baltic Works...once the home of J Beardshaw and Co.Ltd,... is in Picture Sheffield reference s22339

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 15:52, Fiddlestick said:

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 09:51, lysander said:

The memorial , which is built into the walls of Baltic Works...once the home of J Beardshaw and Co.Ltd,... is in Picture Sheffield reference s22339

The houses on Cossey Road that were bombed were near the Earsham Street corner. The school was at the bottom if Cossey Road on the corner of Forncet Street and is still there.