Houghton Street

nobrien_999

Hi

I've been trying to find Houghton Street, without any luck, and I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any light on where it was. 71 Houghton Street is recorded as the address one of my ancestors died in 1898, who is buried at Burngreave.

I also have another ancestor who lived at 25 Bramall Lane in 1928, but I think this address must have been demolished, possibly where the petrol station is at the junction of John Street?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, nobrien_999 said:

Hi

I've been trying to find Houghton Street, without any luck, and I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any light on where it was. 71 Houghton Street is recorded as the address one of my ancestors died in 1898, who is buried at Burngreave.

I also have another ancestor who lived at 25 Bramall Lane in 1928, but I think this address must have been demolished, possibly where the petrol station is at the junction of John Street?

Thanks in advance.

Hello nobrien_999

Houghton Street ran from Spital Street to  Montford Street. If you go up Spital Hill and turn left on Spital Street it was on the right just after you cross Brunswick Road.

13 hours ago, boginspro said:

Hello nobrien_999

Houghton Street ran from Spital Street to  Montford Street. If you go up Spital Hill and turn left on Spital Street it was on the right just after you cross Brunswick Road.

Capture.JPG

Wow thank you, its amazing to see the then and now comparison and how much that area has changed. I had ancestors all around that area including Brunswick Road, Kilton Street and Nottingham Street, as well as Houghton Street.

Have you seen the photos on picturesheffield.com?  There are 4 of them - the nearest house to 71 shown is 67 Thistle Street.

From this post:

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2008/post-188-1219068654.jpg

You can see where 71 Houghton/Thistle St would have been:

From this post:

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-4985-1250813085.jpg

You can see that your ancestors house suffered WW2 bomb damage

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

I also think the address of 25 Bramall Lane might be in a slightly different location to where you are thinking.  I think Bramall Lane used to extend further north into the city centre, rather than terminating at St Mary's Gate as we are now familiar with.  The Cricketers Arms, which is roughly opposite your suggestion has an address of 106 Bramall Lane. I've included a map from c.1900, and this photo from Picture Sheffield may also be useful.

Capture.JPG