Yorkshire Engine Company

Guest Malcolm Carr

Guest Malcolm Carr

Hi, my great grandfather, William CARR (c. 1836 at Sheffield - 17 May 1874 at Grimesthorpe), was an engine fitter at the Yorkshire Engine Company. His date of birth is estimated from his ages at marriage (32 yrs on 11 April 1868 at Kimberworth to Emma KAY; 38 yrs at death from pneumonia on 17 May 1874). I'm wondering if there is any information about the individual employees of the company still existing?, as I would like to know more about his work there and when he started.  Their son, James CARR, was my grandfather (03 January 1871 Brightside - 30 November 1951 Methven, Canterbury, New Zealand). In his biographical sketch in the book "Ashburton New Zealand: Its Pioneers and Its History, 1853-1939" 1940 by John Brown (Ashburton is a larger town near Methven on the Canterbury Plains in the South Island), he recalls:

"My first knowledge of New Zealand was a photograph which was taken about the year 1870 of some locomotive engines made by the Yorkshire Engine Co. of Sheffield for the Canterbury Province's railways with my father standing alongside.  Although it is many years since I saw them, I remember them so well because, unlike the engines in England, they had cow-catchers in front of them, and they appeared to be very small."

Also, William & Emma CARR had a third child, William, who was born about December 1874 (after his father had died). I have his death certificate (died 09 January 1875 Lower Wincobank, Ecclesfield, aged 5 weeks), but his birth does not appear to have been registered.

And, I would like to know where can I check whether or not William (c. 1836 - 1874) and his son William (c. 05 Dec 1874 - 09 Jan 1875) were baptised?

Any help would be much appreciated, regards, Malcolm Carr (Christchurch, New Zealand).

Your Great Grandfather couldn't have worked there long as the factory wasn't built till 1866 on the Meadow Hall site. Bang on what is now the Shopping Centre.  They were famous for making tank engines and shunting engines used in industry and coal mines. They continued to make engines till 1965.

There was a book made of the company that should give you more information.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yorkshire-Engine-Sheffields-Locomotive-Manufacturer/dp/0752445308

Wikipedia has a nice, concise history of the company...worth a look.

You probably need to know where your ancestors were born to find the Parish  or Non conformist church where they may have been baptised.. Have a look at:

www.sheffieldindexers.com.

They have many local registers.