Old Photos of Gleadless

LeadFarmer

Absolute blooming magic! I grew up in Gleadless Avenue and some of these views are very familiar - for example the Post Office (run in the early '60s by a couple, his name was Artie, don't know their surname). That's my old school, Gleadless Primary (known at the time as Gleadless County); I remember that brick central part being built, previously that was the main entrance although we weren't allowed to use it, perhaps it was for staff only. Oh, and many's the time that I caught a 101 or 102 into town - the 105 went a slightly different way but I can't remember the details

It's a pity that those photos, being from Gleadless library, don't include one of the library itself. I was a voracious reader as a boy, and during the school holidays I must have just about worn a groove between 13, Gleadless Avenue and Manor Top where the library was. I'm delighted to see that it's still open.

19 hours ago, Athy said:

Absolute blooming magic! I grew up in Gleadless Avenue and some of these views are very familiar - for example the Post Office (run in the early '60s by a couple, his name was Artie, don't know their surname). That's my old school, Gleadless Primary (known at the time as Gleadless County); I remember that brick central part being built, previously that was the main entrance although we weren't allowed to use it, perhaps it was for staff only. Oh, and many's the time that I caught a 101 or 102 into town - the 105 went a slightly different way but I can't remember the details

It's a pity that those photos, being from Gleadless library, don't include one of the library itself. I was a voracious reader as a boy, and during the school holidays I must have just about worn a groove between 13, Gleadless Avenue and Manor Top where the library was. I'm delighted to see that it's still open.

Agreed. Always good to see photos of my part of town, being born & raised near Townend. Not that I remember what Gleadless Road used to look like around the Heeley & Sheffield, but some of the other shots are familiar to me.

The postmaster in the 1960s was Artie Elliott.

The library at Manor Top was Manor Library. Gleadless Library is on White Lane. It used to look like this, but that building has been replaced. Glad to see it is still open, though.

It was at Gleadless Library that my love of books and reading was born. Visits to my grandfather who lived in Charnock often included a stop at what was then the new library where as many books as could be borrowed at once by my parents were selected for me to read over the coming week or two.

• Like 1

Annie, thanks for the correction regarding the libraries' names. It was Manor Library which I used to use. That was an older (1930s perhaps?) and more permanent-looking building.

Elliott, that's it. My parents knew the Elliotts and I rather think, though time obscures the details, that they had a son who was at Gleadless School with me.

I remember as a kid in the 70's I dropped a stink bomb inside the library. By the time i got home the library had phoned my parents to tell them what I had done. Unfortunately for me I had just returned a book and dropped the small glass stink bomb on the floor as I walked out, so they knew my name and address!!!!!!

On 21 April 2016 at 07:37, Athy said:

Annie, thanks for the correction regarding the libraries' names. It was Manor Library which I used to use. That was an older (1930s perhaps?) and more permanent-looking building.

Elliott, that's it. My parents knew the Elliotts and I rather think, though time obscures the details, that they had a son who was at Gleadless School with me.

The Manor Library opened in the fifties I think, I used to go nearly every day when it opened.

Thanks for bringing this website to our attention. Born and bred in Herdings just after the estate was built, it's nice to see how it looked back then.

Great photos,i also went to gleadless school,1953 -1958 then on to hurlfield boys.I lived on seagrave crescent.

So I probably used to see Tozzin at the library and Jackanne (who would have been two years above me, as I left in 1960) at school. Small world. I spent my last two Gleadless School years in Mr. Iossen's class, which was in a single-storey building away from the main school, by the gate which led over the stream into the park.

Athy,I was in the other single storey building for last 2 years,miss metcalf was teacher,i remember mr Iossen i think he lived on ridgehill avenue

and i saw something on friends reunited a couple of years ago saying that he had just died aged 99.

Jackanne, I did hear that Mr. Iossen had lived to a very ripe old age. Unfortunately I heard this only after he had died, I would have loved to go and see him otherwise. Apart from the head, Mr. Spir, I do remember Miss Metcalf, also a lady who became Mrs. Shanahan (can't remember her maiden name), Mr. Slater, bald bespectacled chap who smoked a pipe and was my class teacher before I went up to Mr. Iossen's, a Miss Wild whom I found rather frightening (perhaps because of her name!) and, before that, Mrs. Bell who heroically taught a class of about 50 five-year-olds. I recall Mr. Spir's son Barry helping out at the school, taking games in the park I think, I suppose it must have been during his student vacations. And finally...Mr. Lancaster, the crabby caretaker who used to take great exception to children climbing up the huge pile of coke which fed the heating boilers, and who used to pour salt on the slides which we made in winter - spoilsport.

Edited to add: I wonder if you knew Carol Webb. Her family lived two or three doors up from us on Gleadless Avenue, maybe at no. 9 as we were at no. 13, and she would have been about two years older than me. Her Dad was Cliff Webb, he and my Dad were quite friendly, and I think that there was a younger brother. Can't remember her Mum at all.

Athy.Sorry but the only names i remember are mr spir and mr lancaster,the only person i knew on gleadless avenue was

richard hunt whose parents ran the greengrocers shop near junction with gleadless common.

...a shop which I remember well, as my Mum often sent me to do the shopping. There were two shops on that corner: Jenkinson's right on the corner which was a grocer's, and the greengrocer's next to it. I remember the greengrocer's being taken over by a family called Quirk circa 1960 - their son Jack went to Gleadless School. But I don't recall the name Hunt - I guess they must have run it before Quirks. Jenkinson's later became Brown's, maybe about 1961.

Last time I was in Sheffield, some 10 years ago now, I took a nostalgic walk around the area and found that both those shops were gone. They had become private houses - as, I think, had the Bungalow Stores, a bit further up Gleadless Common on the right-hand side.

Thanks, Jackanne, for helping me to delve into my memory bank to retrieve these reminiscences.

EDIT: I have just found a thread from about two years ago which covers similar ground. Whoops.

I have just found this thread, more than a year later.  

I went to Gleadless County and remember being in Mrs Bell’s class in the infants and, I think, Miss Anderson’s.  In the juniors I had Mr Slater, J1, Miss Parkin, J2, and Mr Iosson for J3 and 4, in the huts.  He liked to grow coleus plants in the greenhouse.  I think we did a bit plant nurturing too.

Michael Elliott was the post master’s son, in my class.

I remember swinging on climbing bars just in front of the outside toilets at the back of the yard.  In the front yard, we played rounders against other school teams, always trying to hit the ball over the wall into Ridgehill Avenue. 

• Like 1

On 23/09/2017 at 20:51, sevans said:

I have just found this thread, more than a year later.  

I went to Gleadless County and remember being in Mrs Bell’s class in the infants and, I think, Miss Anderson’s.  In the juniors I had Mr Slater, J1, Miss Parkin, J2, and Mr Iosson for J3 and 4, in the huts.  He liked to grow coleus plants in the greenhouse.  I think we did a bit plant nurturing too.

Michael Elliott was the post master’s son, in my class.

I remember swinging on climbing bars just in front of the outside toilets at the back of the yard.  In the front yard, we played rounders against other school teams, always trying to hit the ball over the wall into Ridgehill Avenue. 

Great memories, Sevans, and welcome to the forum.

I vividly remember Mr. Iosson as he was also my teacher in J3 and J4, though I only remember the name of Miss Parkin, I can't picture her.  I also remember the Elliott family who had the post office at the top of Gleadless, and their son - though I can't remember whether he was older or younger than me. I don't think he was in my class. A quick search of my brain brings up these names of my classmates:

John Hall, Nigel Needham, Susan Briers, Catherine Clark (blonde bombshell of the class), Margaret Auger, her friend ? Burrows, Rosalind Fenner, Leonard Goodair, Barbara Douthwaite, Dennis Cadman, Tony Roy, Gillian Pitts, Malcolm Jermy, Susan Morrell, Billy Harling, Bonita Hodgson, Russell ? (I was going to say Harty), Trevor (Anderson I think, not sure, very thin), David Froggatt (best footballer in school), David Bowers (always collecting insects and putting them in matchboxes), Rodney Ellis, Terry Shinn, Andrew Dorling, and apologies to all those I've forgotten. So were you and I in the same class?

It is a pity that we did not have class photographs in those days. It would be lovely to have one to look back on.

Oh yes, I remember her. She was, from memory, quite large and I was rather afraid of her (though she never taught me). I also remember a Miss Wild who, I think, got married and became Mrs. Shanahan.

If I'm right, there is another similar building off the picture to the right, then, beyond that, the stream. The building had a central entrance as the one in the picture does; in the middle was a cloakroom (which doubled as a servory at dinner time), with a classroom at each end. I spent my final two years at Gleadless on the right-hand classroom. Or have I got it the wrong way round, and the stream and park are on the left? I don't remember the greenhouse.

I would have been in J2 when you left. oddly, I clearly recall Mr. Slater, who I suppose must have been my J1 teacher, and equally clearly recall Mr. Iosson (J3 and J4). But I have no idea who my J2 teacher was.

Mr. Slater (bald, pipe-smoking) had a good sense of humour. One day, after we had been issued with ink pens (the kind which you had to dip into an inkwell) to write with for the first time instead of pencils, we all had to write in our exercise books "We have been writing in ink today". Back came my book with Mr. Slater's comment written underneath: "It's unlikely that you'll be writing in it tomorrow".

Thanks for posting that, Jackanne.

The stream and park is behind the building on the left,you are correct about a similar building on the right,i spent my last year in that building

with miss metcalf as my teacher.

• Like 1

Thank you. Looking more carefully at the photo I can see distant rooftops which must be those of houses which fringed Gleadless Park.

Hi. I am new to this site. Just found the post on Gleadless County Junior School. I used to attend here and left in 1963 after passing my 11 plus. My last teacher was Mr Dyson I think, but remember Mr Iosson and Mr Spurr, the headmaster. sadly he was killed in a car accident shortly after I left. We used to garden in the greenhouse, and also an allotment which was reached via  Hollinsend Park after crossing the stream. I lived on Seagrave Crescent and my three older brothers also went to the school. Happy days. 

I lived at 86. I think Mr & Mrs Gear lived at No.90 from memory.

The field at the bottom of the garden, over the stream was a great playground and location for many a bonfire night! 

Just got the number wrong,i think your surname is nutton,i seem to remember your dad always messing around with cars.

Welcome, Bob.

If you had three elder brothers at Gleadless County there's a fair chance that one would have been in my year - but I don't remember a Nutton. See my post of last Saturday for the names of as many members of my class as I can remember - do any of the names look familiar?