Sheffield's last "bear-ward" killed a bit

RichardB

24th May 1824, William Runcorn, Sheffield's last bear-ward was killed in the Park.

So, what was a bear-ward ?

One who warded bears? Like being a sheperd but a bit more risky?

Origin of bearward

Middle English bereward, from bere bear + ward keeper

Considerably more risky - bear-baiting I think; anyhooooo it killed him a smidge whilst he was walking with it unmuzzled.

I was surprised to find that bear baiting went on so long, I'd always assumed it was a medieval pursuit that died out with the Tudors. I found pictures of a baiting pit in Attercliffe on Picture Sheffield a while ago, though their descriptions of photos can be way off sometimes, it makes you think.

My 4 x Great Grandmother 

The Sheffield Register. Dec 17th 1790

`A circumstance not less dreadful in its consequence, than disgraceful to a civilised nation, happened at High Green, a few miles from hence, on Saturday morning last.  A bear kept there by one Cooper, for the amusement of the country people at their wakes, got loose - pinched it is supposed for food - and entered the dwelling of a person named Rogers.  The unfortunate wife of the man was sitting with one child (Lydia) on her lap and another beside her, (Charles) when the creature seized her with all the savage ferocity incident to its nature, and tore her in a manner to shocking to particularize.  The cries of the poor unfortunate, and of the children, reached Rogers and the Bearward, who almost at the same moment entered the house, and beheld a sight sufficient to appal the most callous mind - what then must have been the feelings of the husband? - He flew to the animal, but was unable to wrench its jaws from the object of its fury.  Cooper then struck it on the head with a hammer, but the haft flying off, the blow was powerless; it however turned the bent of its rage on him, and it pursued him until he was nearly exhausted with fatigue, and he must have fallen a victim, had not the neighbours, alarmed at the outcries, come up with him, and, at a second shot, laid it dead. - The woman expired in dreadful agony on Monday.  We hope and trust this dreadful and unparalleled accident will finally abolish, in these parts, that unchristian, barbarous species of diversion - bear-baiting.' [sic]

" This, I believe, was the last bull-bait in Sheffield. As a sad. though
fitting sequel, I may add that this man, Runcorn, was eventually (May,
1824), so fearfully worried by his own bear, in a field on the Intake
road, that he died in consequence, in the Sheffield Infirmary."

LEIGHTON: Runcorn's real name was William Ladsley. I believe the
circumstances of his death were these. He had the bear, which -was
usually a very peaceable plain," near his residence in the Park. In some
way, never explained, the bear becoming suddenly enraged against its
master, turned upon him, knocked him down, and worried him on the spot.
The poor man's body was taken up in a shockingly mutilated state, though
it was with difficulty it could be liberated by slipping dogs at the
bear. The murderer was shortly afterwards shot; the hind paws of the
animal were fourteen inches long.

"REMINISCENCES OF OLD SHEFFIELD" Leader

This out of copyright material has been transcribed by Eric Youle, who has provided the transcription on condition that any further copying and distribution of the transcription is allowed only for noncommercial purposes, and includes this statement in its entirety.

Any references to, or quotations from, this material should give credit to the original author(s) or editors.

54 minutes ago, RichardB said:

Botanical Gardens

If the gardens opened in 1836, how likely is it that Runcorn (Ladsley) was the last bear ward ??

I remember being shown the Botanical Gardens bear pit by my mother. It was somewhat derelict at the time with heaps of grass cuttings thrown into it. I am glad to see that it looks a lot better now.

Ralph Edmund Turner - 1934 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions
In Sheffield — "Sheffield the Black! in ugliness supreme" — about Paradise Square, in Silver Street, down Pudding Lane, beside ... there were the ale-houses, the streets, and the square; in the last were exhibitions of bull-baiting, bear-baiting, ...

On 06/04/2016 at 2:00 PM, RichardB said:
On 07/04/2016 at 9:00 AM, Lyn 1 said:
On 07/04/2016 at 9:00 AM, Lyn 1 said:

My 4 x Great Grandmother 

The Sheffield Register. Dec 17th 1790

`A circumstance not less dreadful in its consequence, than disgraceful to a civilised nation, happened at High Green, a few miles from hence, on Saturday morning last.  A bear kept there by one Cooper, for the amusement of the country people at their wakes, got loose - pinched it is supposed for food - and entered the dwelling of a person named Rogers. diversion - bear-baiting.' [sic]

Just reading An Old Ecclesfield Diary (kindly lent by Neddy) - and found an entry with more date detail on the bear incident.  The bear decoration on St Mary's is odd!

570a141c6dcd7_CoopersBear1790.png.4552dd

Yes the Old Ecclesfield Diary was where I first found reference to it and then I managed to find a newspaper account of her death. She died two days after the attack

Lyn

I read somewhere that the bear pit predated the Botanical Gardens. Just trying to remember where I read it, I may be some time :unsure:

Also that bears were kept there until the 1870s, though for viewing by the public, not for baiting

On 4/10/2016 at 9:53 AM, Edmund said:

Just reading An Old Ecclesfield Diary (kindly lent by Neddy) - and found an entry with more date detail on the bear incident.  The bear decoration on St Mary's is odd!

570a141c6dcd7_CoopersBear1790.png.4552dd

I've just been down to Ecclesfield Church to find said Bear and obviously they are all a bit weathered but this one looks more like a bear than any of the others, the  one in the Diary looks more like a Bird in situe.

DSCN0753.JPG

DSCN0752.JPG

DSCN0751.JPG

DSCN0750.JPG

DSCN0749.JPG

DSCN0749 B.JPG

DSCN0748.JPG

DSCN0746.JPG

DSCN0746 B.JPG

DSCN0745.JPG