Ebenezer Elliotts house - Upperthorpe

Guest melh1

Guest melh1

I have the good fortune to be the owner of the grand old house that was built by John Blake and later where Ebenezer Elliott lived in Upperthorpe.

I was built I believe in 1820? Apart from Mr's Blake and Elliott, the previous owners before us and a few strangers that have knocked on the door to say they have in the past visited, stayed in or otherwise had some connection with the house, I have no idea who has lived in it.

I would love to trace as many as I can and find a little note about its background.

I know its been derelict in its time (possibly late 1980's) I have some pictures of it boarded up, I have a Sheffield Star photograph of the commemorative blue plaque being unveiled back in 1954, and some undated pictures that appear to show another house attached to the side. I also have a B&W photo from 1966 isn (by the number plate on a car outside).

I know that about 15 years ago it was a student let and was divided into 4 or 5 bedsits.

Its a lovely old house that we cherish and are slowly bringing it back to life as our family home - if anyone has any information please can you let me know. Cups of tea and a guided tour on offer for anyone who wants to contribute to this quest.

Thank you so much

Guest InSheffield

I've found a bit on its early history - hope it's useful!

This thread says that Blake bought the land in 1826 and so the house is of the late 1820s.  Elliott then rented the house, but it was still owned by Blake's son, another John Blake.  He moved into the house when Elliott left and mortgaged it for £1000 to set up the firm "Blake and Parkin".   He married Ellen Barnett in 1848, but was killed in a train crash near Clay Cross in 1851.  At that time, the property was valued at £2000.  It seems it was purchased by Parkin, but he was also struck by tragedy as his wife died young, in 1853.  He sold the house at auction in 1856 (see advert below).  It seems it was bought by a Francis Millns, a confectioner with a business on Castle Street.  In 1864, it was available for sale or let with a much briefer description, although it had acquired a "fish pond in front"; it must have been let, as Millns was again making it available for let in 1867.  In 1871, it was occupied by a Mrs Walker, who was advertising for a servant.

Upperthorpe advert.png

Guest melh1

Thank you so much InSheffield. This is so interesting and fills in a few earlier gaps in my knowledge.

I had a passerby who knocked on the door a few weeks ago and told me that in the late 1970's early 80's the house was let by the council to a Lilly Grey who used to take in lodgers from Middlewood. He said he used to visit occasionally and  remembered it as being pretty grim and cold !

I wonder if anyone knows about Lilly Grey - she was by all accounts a bit of a character - he told  a story about how she had her electricity cut off and used to cook outside on an open fire!

On 11/04/2016 at 8:17 PM, melh1 said:

Thank you so much InSheffield. This is so interesting and fills in a few earlier gaps in my knowledge.

I had a passerby who knocked on the door a few weeks ago and told me that in the late 1970's early 80's the house was let by the council to a Lilly Grey who used to take in lodgers from Middlewood. He said he used to visit occasionally and  remembered it as being pretty grim and cold !

I wonder if anyone knows about Lilly Grey - she was by all accounts a bit of a character - he told  a story about how she had her electricity cut off and used to cook outside on an open fire!

Just had a word with my ex wife. She lived at 94 Upperthorpe from 1947 to 1968. The family living in your house then was Mr & Mrs Cliffe and their daughter Jean, she remembers visiting the house in those years many times and seems to think an old aunt lived there also. There is a lady who has lived on Blake Grove Road for donkeys years, they call her Pauline, she will be in her 60s now and has lived around there all her life, have a word with her.  W/E.

Hello......i am researching my family tree and found this link regarding Blake House.  Lily GRAY who resided at Blake House was my biological grandmother and sad to say I know very little about her or her existence. I did find an article from the Sheffield Star showing a picture of her and the house in disrepair; apparently David Blunkett, the local MP fought a case with Social Services regarding the plight. It makes for a sad but interesting read; a local business owner came forward to help pay the bills, having heard of the sad plight.

Lily married my grandfather known locally at 'Ted GRAY' (Albert Edward GRAY). I understand both my father Barrie GRAY & Peter GRAY were estranged from their mother Lily (we believe her maiden name was ELVIN). If anyone's relatives etc knew anything of her, or her extended family we'd love to learn more.  Apparently she was known as 'Lady Lil' and must have been kind hearted to have taken residents from Middlewood who were grossly neglected and let down by Social Services of the time. There are pictures of the residents who resided in Blake House.  

If anyone has any snippet, good or bad .......i'd love to document them in our family tree.  I believe she may have had a sister......Betty?

On 30/04/2023 at 18:53, Sharon Gray said:

Hello......i am researching my family tree and found this link regarding Blake House.  Lily GRAY who resided at Blake House was my biological grandmother and sad to say I know very little about her or her existence. I did find an article from the Sheffield Star showing a picture of her and the house in disrepair; apparently David Blunkett, the local MP fought a case with Social Services regarding the plight. It makes for a sad but interesting read; a local business owner came forward to help pay the bills, having heard of the sad plight.

Lily married my grandfather known locally at 'Ted GRAY' (Albert Edward GRAY). I understand both my father Barrie GRAY & Peter GRAY were estranged from their mother Lily (we believe her maiden name was ELVIN). If anyone's relatives etc knew anything of her, or her extended family we'd love to learn more.  Apparently she was known as 'Lady Lil' and must have been kind hearted to have taken residents from Middlewood who were grossly neglected and let down by Social Services of the time. There are pictures of the residents who resided in Blake House.  

If anyone has any snippet, good or bad .......i'd love to document them in our family tree.  I believe she may have had a sister......Betty?

Sharon - hi - long time after your initial post but if you do see this I would love a chat about your grandmother

On 15/03/2016 at 20:24, Guest melh1 said:

I have the good fortune to be the owner of the grand old house that was built by John Blake and later where Ebenezer Elliott lived in Upperthorpe.

I was built I believe in 1820? Apart from Mr's Blake and Elliott, the previous owners before us and a few strangers that have knocked on the door to say they have in the past visited, stayed in or otherwise had some connection with the house, I have no idea who has lived in it.

I would love to trace as many as I can and find a little note about its background.

I know its been derelict in its time (possibly late 1980's) I have some pictures of it boarded up, I have a Sheffield Star photograph of the commemorative blue plaque being unveiled back in 1954, and some undated pictures that appear to show another house attached to the side. I also have a B&W photo from 1966 isn (by the number plate on a car outside).

I know that about 15 years ago it was a student let and was divided into 4 or 5 bedsits.

Its a lovely old house that we cherish and are slowly bringing it back to life as our family home - if anyone has any information please can you let me know. Cups of tea and a guided tour on offer for anyone who wants to contribute to this quest.

Thank you so much

Grove House1.JPG

Grove House2.JPG

Grove House3.JPG

Grove House4.JPG

• Like 1

On 30/04/2023 at 18:53, Sharon Gray said:

Lily married my grandfather known locally at 'Ted GRAY' (Albert Edward GRAY). I understand both my father Barrie GRAY & Peter GRAY were estranged from their mother Lily (we believe her maiden name was ELVIN).

This marriage is confirmed by FreeBMD as being 1935, 4th Quarter. Lily's birth registered 1915 3rd Quarter (Mother's maiden name May.