Shepherd Wheel needs you!

Bayleaf

Shepherd Wheel is unique and an important part of Sheffield's heritage. It's running and open to the public every Saturday and Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays. There's always an engineer from SIMT on duty looking after the machinery, and at least 1 volunteer to talk to visitors, help explain the place etc. Unfortunately there is a serious shortage of volunteers at present, and new ones are desperately needed. They operate in 2 hours shifts, 10-12,12-2 and 2-4 in the summer, a...nd 11-1 and 1-3 in winter. It's a very rewarding and enjoyable way to help and meet a huge variety of people. there's no particular commitment, Maggie the organiser sends out a list of shifts needing cover, usually 2 months in advance, and you let her know which if any you can do. The rota is organised by Friends of the Porter Valley but you don't need to be a member to help at the wheel. Training is given and you learn an amazing amount from the visitors too. If you think you might be interested there's more information and contact details here. http://www.fopv.org.uk/shepherd%20wheel.htm . It would be a great shame if opening had to be curtailed, there are thousands of visitors every year from all over the world as well as locals, and many people make long journeys to visit.

Some pictures from our visit to the Shepherd Wheel in 2014. It wasn't the only reason for the long journey but it was unforgettable. I was so glad to be able to cross it off my 'must do' list.  Sorry I can't volunteer but I hope someone does.

DSCF3582.JPG

DSCF3586.JPG

DSCF3593.JPG

DSCF3592.JPG

DSCF3588.JPG