Can you identify these people in 1960's Sheffield photos?

St Annington

"As part Shelter’s 50th anniversary, the housing and homelessness charity is searching for the people behind the pictures and is urging people to get in touch if they recognise family or friends."

Full story in today's Sheffield Star http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/can-you-identify-people-in-1960s-sheffield-photos-1-7724128

Somebody could at least make a start by identifying the locations ............

image 6.jpg

image 5.jpg

image 4.jpg

image 3.jpg

image 2.jpg

Mrs T and her family of 5 lived in a decaying terraced house owned by a steelworks. She had no gas, no electricity, no hot water, no bathroom. Her cooking was done on the fire in the living room. Sheffield, May 196

9.image 1.jpg

Mrs Tandy cleaning her backyard, Sheffield, 1969

I'm pretty sure the playground is on Bright Street, adjacent Ye Olde Carbrook Hall Hotel P.H.

241 - 277 Bright Street, number of houses, and houses per block, passageway side of 267 all match.

See map

19 hours ago, St Annington said:

I'm pretty sure the playground is on Bright Street, adjacent Ye Olde Carbrook Hall Hotel P.H.

241 - 277 Bright Street, number of houses, and houses per block, passageway side of 267 all match.

See map

I agree with St. Annington that the rec is the one adjacent to the Carbrook Hall Hotel off Attercliffe Common.

When the apprentices at the AEI Traction Division works opposite, went on strike circa 1964/1965, we all congregated on the Bright Street playground until a better meeting point became available when the boozer opened at 11 am.

We then marched up to Davy United at Darnell to gather support, and when that failed we marched to Newton Chambers at Chapletown with a similar result.

As it happens I'd gone to work on my little Raleigh Gadabout moped 'so my marching consisted of slipping the clutch all the way to Chapeltown and back.

We made the front page of the Sheffield Star, " The Angry Young Men of Sheffield Industry" and as a result the firm made substantial changes to the wages.

It meant that the starting wage of about two pounds five shillings went up by a few shillings but more importantly, the wages tapered up to the full skilled mans wage at 21.

It was the only worth-while strike I've ever taken part in.

The Raleigh Gadabout was never the same again.

Incidently, as a kid I used to knock about with a lad who came from down the east end and he took me to what must have been at least a dozen such "recs" down Attercliffe, Darnall and Pitsmoor. They normally had a resident "Parky" who could be relied on to provide a few choice dirty jokes ! :o

I wasn't jealous though, at least we had Rivelin and Loxley Valleys to play in.

HD

I don't have any experience of tracing family history, checking registers of births, deaths, electoral roles etc.

If one of the ladies is identified as Mrs Tandy, and she lived with her children in the Brightside/Attercliffe area of Sheffield in the 1960's, is it not possible to trace some record of her?

I would think that might only be possible if you could be in touch with her descendents. Perhaps via a piece in the newspaper or parish magazine. Until such time that the freedom of information act releases the Census for these dates there really isn't another way that I know of. In America the census are freely available right up to date but not here I'm afraid. I really looking forward to the 1921 census being online but that won't be for a few years yet. If I'm wrong about any of this then do please put me straight.

Grannypat