Cocker's yard Jessop Street 1853

Guest steven85

Guest steven85

I have an old map of Sheffield dated 1853, on the map is 'cockers Yard' exactly where the Central Fire Station is in town today, Cocker's Yard was in between Jessop Street and Jessop lane.

Does anyone know of any information on Cocker's yard? What firm it might have been what they made?

Across the road was Ellins yard, which belonged to the Ellins family who where cutlers, could this have been the same for Cocker's yard? 

Thanks 

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 4:06 PM, steven85 said:

I have an old map of Sheffield dated 1853, on the map is 'cockers Yard' exactly where the Central Fire Station is in town today, Cocker's Yard was in between Jessop Street and Jessop lane.

Does anyone know of any information on Cocker's yard? What firm it might have been what they made?

Across the road was Ellins yard, which belonged to the Ellins family who where cutlers, could this have been the same for Cocker's yard? 

Thanks 

I have found some information on Cocker's Yard.

In 1861 there were 5 Family's living there,

The Hall's ( Father Daughter and Lodger )

The Burbury's ( Family of 11 )

The Powell's ( Family of 6 and 2 Lodgers )

The Horsefield's ? ( Family of 6 )

The Crapper's ? ( Family of 2 )

Guest steven85

Thank you for the information, would that make Cockers yard a sort of tenement works? Or just a yard with homes for people to live? 

Here's another map and some photographs of Jessop Lane and Court 3 & 4, which probably made up Cocker's yard?

Area marked '294' on map

Jessop Lane with Eyre Lane in foreground, Eyre Street in background (with vehicle crossing). All buildings on left (match map) - Cocker's yard?

Cocker's yard on right, beyond washing line in background

I haven't found any reference to the actual name 'Cocker's yard', as the map is dated 1896 and the photo's are from the 1930's. However, the shape of the buildings that make up this area between Jessop Street, Jessop Lane / Eyre Street, Eyre Lane appear little changed in outline from a map of Sheffield from 1855

Sheffield 1855 - Map No.294

In these areas of Sheffield centre, the buildings appear all to be of a similar type, back-to-back housing with factories interspersed between living accommodation. Pretty grim conditions and always surprising to realise that most of Sheffield city centre was made up of these types of buildings, in areas that are now barely recognisable except for some of the street names. 

I realise that I am replying 8 years after the original post, but I would like to thank you for solving a little historical mystery. My great grandfather (Fred Newton) was born in 1870 in a yard off Jessop Street and, from his birth certificate, it was difficult to work out the name of the yard. However, from your post I can see it was called Ellins Yard. Thanks again.

On 06/02/2016 at 16:06, Guest steven85 said:

Thanks 

Fred Newton birth cert.jpg

1825 DIRECTORY

Montgomery James, printer of the Iris, (Tuesday,) 8, Hartshead

1862 DIRECTORY

Stevens Mary, beerhouse, 12 Hartshead

& Atley Thomas, spirit dealer