107? Kent Road Heeley

duckweed

Anyone know the history of the House? It seems to have fairly substantial grounds and looks like the old woodland remains there a bit. I think the area would be Kent Storth which gave the road its name.  Its not far from the chapel and near Heeley Green.

DSCF1231.JPG

DSCF1232.JPG

Looking at a map from 1900 the house doesn't seem remarkable.  It's size, and amount of land it has seem comparable with the surrounding houses.

I grew up in that area in the 70's and 80's and the land immediately behind the house extending to Carfield Road was known locally as the 'Docker', as in 'shall we go and play on't Docker', although i've no idea why!

P.S I don't care what the maps/street signs say I refuse to spell Carfield with two R's!!! I went to Carfield School, and it only has one R!!

Kent Road.PNG

P.S I don't care what the maps/street signs say I refuse to spell Carfield with two R's!!! I went to Carfield School, and it only has one R!!

The Meersbook (old boundry of Derbyshire/Yorlshire) determins one 'R' or two 'R's' in Carrfield and Carfield, two 'R's' in Yorkshire area, just one in the old Derbyshire area.

1 hour ago, SteveHB said:

The Meersbook (old boundry of Derbyshire/Yorlshire) determins one 'R' or two 'R's' in Carrfield and Carfield, two 'R's' in Yorkshire area, just one in the old Derbyshire area.

Thanks for clearing that up, every day is a school day!!!!

13 hours ago, duckweed said:

Difficult to say. Can't find any particular place name nearby that would match.

These appear to show a match as to it being called 'Fern Bank' ....

Deaths, S&R Ind:December 24, 1885.

56b5ca22d4dfe_SRInd_December241885.jpg.1

1879 directory.

56b5ca239bbc9_1879dirct_.jpg.afefe733621

From the directories.

107  Hawkes  Charles  Frederick, pattern  maker, (1925).
107  Everitt  Fred  tailors'  cutter, (1911).
107  Welsby John E.  sawyer, (1905).

107  Wild  Mrs. Ellen, (1901).
107  Wild  Edward  William,  electroplate manufacturer, (1901).    

That's great. That gives me the story of the building even if it isn't what I thought it would be. I shall see if any stories through the newspapers too.

Hi Duckweed, I have only seen this request for information today.

I used to live as a child at 93, Kent  Road on top of the hill from 1937 to 1958. It is now just a grass patch, as all the terraced houses on top of the hill, opposite the Henry Adams Memorial Hall have been knocked down.

The house that is in your picture belonged to Mr Jekyll in the 1940/50's. He had a huge plot of land/garden at the back boardering on to the "Doker". He had a large Green House where he grew big Tomatoes. On a large amount of the plot  he used to grow his own tobacco. When it was ripe, he took it to his Tobacco press, which he kept in a "Pantry" in the bottom story of the house. He mixed Rum in with the Tobacco to give it a flavour and punch. When you sat in the Bus and he came aboard, he stunk out the whole bus as he soked his pipe, Hi.

He had a son older than me ,who joined the RAF as a pilot office and went to Canada for flight training.

Hope that is enough info for you. Certainly brings back good memories of Kent Road from my littleboy/youth day's.

• Like 2

This is the entry in the 1897 Directory, theres only one shopkeeper listed on Kent Road in 1862, nothing for 1852. The Rev Odom was vicar of Heeley Parish Church and Dom Court near the church was named in his honour.

Kent Road.png

On 11/21/2017 at 10:10, Peter Tottle said:

Hi Duckweed, I have only seen this request for information today.

I used to live as a child at 93, Kent  Road on top of the hill from 1937 to 1958. It is now just a grass patch, as all the terraced houses on top of the hill, opposite the Henry Adams Memorial Hall have been knocked down.

The house that is in your picture belonged to Mr Jekyll in the 1940/50's. He had a huge plot of land/garden at the back boardering on to the "Doker". He had a large Green House where he grew big Tomatoes. On a large amount of the plot  he used to grow his own tobacco. When it was ripe, he took it to his Tobacco press, which he kept in a "Pantry" in the bottom story of the house. He mixed Rum in with the Tobacco to give it a flavour and punch. When you sat in the Bus and he came aboard, he stunk out the whole bus as he soked his pipe, Hi.

He had a son older than me ,who joined the RAF as a pilot office and went to Canada for flight training.

Hope that is enough info for you. Certainly brings back good memories of Kent Road from my littleboy/youth day's.

Hi Peter, is the Henry Adams Memorial Hall where the Salvation Army used to have their meetings etc?

I used to live in one of the flat roofed houses, going down the other way from the picture shown.

Had one or two scary experiences with the roofs blowing off while we were there.