Station Inn, Heeley

Meersbrook

A map has appeared on Heeley Past and Present (Facebook) showing a Station Inn on London Rd between Gleadless Rd and Oak St. Is there any info on it please. It could be about left hand side of photo

Heeley.jpg

I don't use facebook but would like to see the map. I think I may have seen passing reference to a beer  house down there, but can't for the life of me think where, I've read so much over the years.  My own interests are mainly across the road on top of the retaining wall (ie the Midland Railway station).

Looking at the sketch above:

The road visible on the left is Well Road, Oak Street is behind the artist.  Maps I have show the area on the left to be the gardens of Springfield House, the house itself being set back from the road. The station was altered around 1900 and the road widened and realigned around 1902 when the ramp up to the old coal yard was removed. The girder bridges over Gleadless and London Roads were widened which meant the loss of buildings there previously. I think the cinema was built around 1911.

On a map pre 1900 there appears to have been one building at the bottom of Gleadless Rd then the railway bridge, then a further four buildings before Oak St.

I hope that may narrow down your search.

heeleyxx.jpg

2 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

I don't use facebook but would like to see the map.

Here you go Oldbloke.

The map is taken from the book 'Heghlegh Then and Heeley Now'
by The Heeley History Workshop, Linda Hutton (Author).

map_.thumb.jpg.43c0985f655e36cc7d6d516a4

Thanks for that Steve. It looks like the one of the four plots between the bridge and Oak St is favourite then, disappearing when the new bridges were built to widen the railway line to four tracks 1901-1903. I couldn't find any entries in directories for London Road South though, the Bridge, White, Red and Crown were all there though.

13 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Thanks for that Steve. It looks like the one of the four plots between the bridge and Oak St is favourite then, disappearing when the new bridges were built to widen the railway line to four tracks 1901-1903. I couldn't find any entries in directories for London Road South though, the Bridge, White, Red and Crown were all there though.

I have also searched through the directories in the past, without any success.

It's also worth noting, that the Heeley books do contain some inaccuricies.

6 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

It's also worth noting, that the Heeley books do contain some inaccuracies.

Going on my own research over more than a few years, I'd say that is an understatement :P

I was bashing away at pubs again today and came across List of Licensed Beerhouses in Sheffield, c.1870 - c.1935 . After scrolling down forever I found

Name of Pub Street              Township          Plan of premises included    Date Closed   Page Ref.

Station Inn      London Road  Nether Hallam                                                     1901            132