Cross Daggers

tozzin

10 hours ago, neddy said:

Possibly one of the Cart family?

I have that name in mind but I'm sure there must be a name somewhere on the net.

Some information on old Woohouse I have says the initials and date on the lintel above the front door of the 'Cross Daggers Inn' are 'TGN 1658’. It goes on to say that 'TGN' stands for Thomas Godfrey Newbo(u)ld, a prominent member of the Quaker community of Handsworth Woodhouse and one of the areas largest landlords. The inn had its own brewery at the rear of the building and stood until the 1930’s. The Newbo(u)lds (although not clear if it was Thomas Godfrey) were also involved in the establishment of the Quaker Meeting House on the Lane of the same name in Woodhouse. Some members of the family emigrated to the US and were one if the first settlers in Delaware. I've not spent any amount of time researching this myself, but hopefully the name suggested may provide some clues to perhaps investigate further? If this information leads anywhere, please keep us posted? Thanks. 

51 minutes ago, RLongden said:

Some information on old Woohouse I have says the initials and date on the lintel above the front door of the 'Cross Daggers Inn' are 'TGN 1658’. It goes on to say that 'TGN' stands for Thomas Godfrey Newbo(u)ld, a prominent member of the Quaker community of Handsworth Woodhouse and one of the areas largest landlords. The inn had its own brewery at the rear of the building and stood until the 1930’s. The Newbo(u)lds (although not clear if it was Thomas Godfrey) were also involved in the establishment of the Quaker Meeting House on the Lane of the same name in Woodhouse. Some members of the family emigrated to the US and were one if the first settlers in Delaware. I've not spent any amount of time researching this myself, but hopefully the name suggested may provide some clues to perhaps investigate further? If this information leads anywhere, please keep us posted? Thanks. 

Newbold - Quaker Meeting House, Woodhouse

Godfrey Newbold - New Jersey

So, it looks like there may be some mileage in researching further...?