What was this place?

bensonhedges

In 1911 John Lawrence Tudor Proudler was an 18 year old  "Engineering General" at an engineering works, living at 44 Addison Road. Eight years later he had become a dentist and was based at 43 Upwell Lane.  He was still practicing there in 1925.  He died in 1933.

Many, many years ago probably in the 1960/70s it was a Chinese takeaway on the right hand corner. Then it remained empty & boarded up for many years. It was suddenly 'done up' some years ago.  It looks totally out of place in the area it is in, and to my mind, a bit of an eyesore. 

Lyn

In October 1965 43-47 Upwell Lane was a row of terraces. A Ladies Hairdesser (Mme. Gladys :P) and a chippy on the corner, with a couple of two-up-two-down's in between (or were these the live-in accommodation?).

43-47 Upwell Lane - 1965

If you look at the corner elevation and the stepped roofline, it's obviously the same building..... although one wonders why they didn't level the site and start again?!

So whoever developed the existing buildings, it looks like they stuck on a first floor verandah, cut some dormers in the roof and created 7 or 8 flats, with the corner property still appearing to have the corner facia board from the original building (the yellow lintel in the modern view -or whatever it's called)? What with the picket fence balustrade and the 'Duckworth' stone cladding, it looks like someone tried to recreate a little piece of the Austrian Tyrol in the middle of Grimesthorpe?!

It certainly looked better in 2008, if you roll back the clock on the Google street view

43-47 Upwell Lane - 2008

Yodel-ey-hi-hooo!

How to turn a proper, decent looking short terrace into one of the most dreadful looking carbuncles mine eyes have ever seen. I'm ashamed that it's on a road named after the village where I now live!

Sure, it never was never going to be a contender for a RIBA award, but I think these cries of "OH, THE DESECRATION" are a little OTT? It's not as if they paved Paradise and put up a parking lot?!

Take a look around the area and it's not exactly the worst example of architecture by far, but that's partially due to the eclectic mix of cultures that the area now sustains and their ideas that orange brickwork with pink pointing look good............ or semi-dereliction is a fashion statement. That said, there are still some well kept, modest homes that are largely unchanged through the years.

True, it's not the country idyll, with the village green and river running through it...... but it's a good job we weren't talking about Carlisle Street, or you'd be underwater ;-)