Death at Bramall Lane

Guest mickbash

Guest mickbash

Where could I find information about a death of a Sheffield Utd fan, while at a football match. Alfred McCarthy died from a heart attack in 1960 at the ground. He was aged 70, he worked in a steel factory as a time keeper. 

There's very little on him on the Find My Past site. Only two marriages for 1918 and 1957.

Lily Wright in 1918 and Ruth A Humberstone in 57.

Guest mickbash

Hi, thanks to you both, for your help. If it's the same man, he was a bigamist as he married a woman in County Durham 1920/2, my gran, I believe he was found out. He was arrested and taken away, don't know where to. Just don't seem able to find out what happened to him. His family were from the Darnal area. I know he was a time keeper for a steel works place in Sheffield, not sure which one though.

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎01‎:‎40‎:‎12, History dude said:

There's very little on him on the Find My Past site. Only two marriages for 1918 and 1957.

Lily Wright in 1918 and Ruth A Humberstone in 57.

This item ties in with Lily.

Sheffield Independent 24 January 1922.

McCARTHY.jpg.0b8eb8a0266b8dd26c7a7bc355b

Guest mickbash

Thank you Syrup, for that information. That is the same man I'm researching. I've just got to prove he is the same Alfred who  married my gran in 1920 up in Durham. On their  marriage certificate his name is Alfred Edward McCarthy. I used to have a medal given to Alfred, from WW1. My mother passed it on to me, but unfortunately I can no longer find it. That would be the proof I need. Once again thanks.