Carbrook football ground

Guest Kivo

Hi all, wondering if anyone can give me a bit of help regarding some old sports fields in Carbrook at the turn of the 20th century - long shot I know!

Pic 1 is of the area in 1893 - you can see where Carbrook Cricket and Football Ground is.

1893.thumb.jpg.5bfed8abbb59f9d3fca0d7eb2

Pic 2 is from 1905. You can see the ground is now taken up by housing, with two new grounds popping up just down the road, behind the Pheasant Inn. 1905.thumb.jpg.65278722e45725108e8020359

The site of the old ground is now taken up by the Sheffield Arena car park, while the Pheasant Inn ground is the car park of the Meadowhall Retail Park.

What I need to know is - when were the houses built over the old ground? Did the people who built the houses pay for the new ground just up the road? Did Attercliffe FC move there too?

This is quoted from Picture Sheffield

'Later he became connected with the old Attercliffe F.C. Mr. Salt took over the tenancy of the old-fashioned Pheasant Inn at Carbrook, where he planned a good sports ground'

From White's Directory, on Sheffield Indexers, William Salt was listed at the Lodge Inn, Newhall Road in 1905, and not listed at the Pheasant Inn until 1911

According to this source Sheffield Wednesday considered both the Carbrook Cricket and Football ground AND the Pheasant Inn grounds when forced to leave Olive Grove in 1899.  So it seems that although not existing in 1893, the Pheasant Inn ground co-existed with, and wasn't built as a replacement for, the Carbrook Ground.

Think I've cracked it.

The Carbrook Sports event of 1899 was noted as being possibly the last one to take place as the ground had been acquired to be developed into housing.

Attercliffe FC were playing at the Carbrook Cricket Ground for 1898/99 but their game vs Mexborough in September 1899 was noted as being the first one at the new ground behind the Pheasant Inn.

Presumably Mr. Salt had started to build the grounds in 1899 and then offered its use to the Wednesday committee when they were on the hunt for a new ground themselves.