Clough Fields Crookes

tozzin

Can anyone give me precise directions on how to get to the farmhouse in Clough Fields, I believe it has a date stone on it dated 1725? As I don't have a car I can't be walking around looking for the old building, a map would be great.

I have recently done some work on 19th century Clough Field hamlet if interested

I am interested but I've got to try and find the cottages first to take a few photos, is it private land?

Hi Tozzin,

Here's a map showing the various footpaths (dotted green) and lanes which access Clough Fields - the best depends on which direction you're approaching from - maybe from Crookes via Mulehouse Road and along the norther edge of the cemetery?  I've also put a Google street view in showing the view from the end of the main lane (off Back Lane).

clough_fields_footpaths.thumb.png.ca0d7f

clough_fields_street_view.thumb.png.5ece

and a map from 1864

clough_fields_1894.thumb.png.7a03a5e39d6

I am interested but I've got to try and find the cottages first to take a few photos, is it private land?

Its not like it was and difficult to take photos of any merit, a lot demolished. Have you seen the ones on pictursheffield ?   The historian Dennis Smith donated several.

People there not really interested in history but don't seem to mind you looking around, several footpaths cut across. What is your interest?

The Sheffield Archives have a Fairbanks plan drawn in 1796, Reference No. FC/P/SheD/477S, titled Sheffield: Marsh Lane. Clough Fields and Delf Field, the property of Vincent Eyre (the Duke of Norfolk’s agent). Clough Field had been exchanged with Joshua Spooner, who bought it from John Bower.  See also FC/FB/79/Supp page 46

A painting of the hamlet from Crosspool Through Time by Judth Hanson:

clough_fields_painting.thumb.png.d3c2f6f

Its not like it was and difficult to take photos of any merit, a lot demolished. Have you seen the ones on pictursheffield ?   The historian Dennis Smith donated several.

People there not really interested in history but don't seem to mind you looking around, several footpaths cut across. What is your interest?

If the cottage is still there with the date stone above the door,  I want to do my article about it so I must take my own photographs but if the cottage has been demolished it will save me a journey. 

Tozz, I will assume you have seen the photos on Picture sheffield. I attach  a photo of farmhouse 2 (picture sheffield number.) which I believe had the datestone? The b/w pic is from a mag and should state the pic was taken from the Delph House

The painting shown by Ed was by Pam Elliott

Clough Field   Pam elliott.jpg

clough field 001.jpg

DSCF4316.JPG

I know this is an old thread but I have been looking up my family history and discovered my family lived in Clough Fields in the 1820's. I see "miked" has done some research and I would like to find out more about what was happening there and how these people lived. Please let me know if you have any information about the area. I cannot visit as I now live abroad but I know the area well from childhood, most of my family never moved from Crookes or even far from Clough Fields. Thank you

For many years I've been trying to find out more about William and John Bower, both born in the 1760s, one a typefounder and the other a cutler. I think their parents were the William Bower and Mary Bridden married in Sheffield in January 1759, and I wonder whether anyone has connected this family with the Bowers who lived at Clough Fields? John Bower was my 4th gt-g'father.

Thanks for any help.