The City Stores

popt

My mother used to tell me about a building called the City stores which was situated near the end of Fitzallan Square near to where Primark is today. She told me that there was a grand staircase in the centre of the store which was a project that my grandfather worked on.Unfortunate the building burned down & the staircase with it. Whether it was bombed or not I do not know. I have tried to find out information about the place but to no avail so I have asked on here to see if anyone can come up with any information. Any help would be appreciated.

PopT

There are LOTS of photos on PictureSheffield.com - just put city stores bandc coop in the advanced search.  There's a picture of the main staircase, and plenty of the ruins after the Blitz.

Stairs up to restaurants and offices, Brightside and Carbrook Co-operative Society Ltd., City Stores, Exchange Street, 

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s11215&pos=21&action=zoom&id=14230

-------------------------

A few more photos of the above stairs, among these ....

Staircaces - City Centre - http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?searchterms=&action=search&keywords=Keywords%3BMATCHES%3B(^|+%2B)Staircases(%24|+%2B)%3BAND%3BDate_Period%3BEQUALS%3B1920-1939%3BAND%3BLocation%3BCONTAINS%3BSheffield_City_Centre%3B

Thanks to Edmund & SteveHB. I didn't know the City Stores was a Coop store, there is no wonder I couldn't find it. You certainly put me on the right track. Arthur Turner who worked on  the staircase died shortly after the bombing of the store. The family said he never recovered from the shock of seeing the building in flames  & it was this event was the last nail in his coffin.

Thanks Fellas!

We've covered this before on the forum. It was built in two stages for some reason. An extra couple of floors were added just a year or two after the original.

I don't think it was standing for ten years before Hitler's Luftwaffe reduced it to a big hole in the ground. It was cleared down to lower cellar level and an elevated foot bridge constructed from Exchange Street to the old fish & meat market.

The young Hilldweller used to tarry on the bridge looking down into the void for bodies or bombs, he never saw either fortunately.

HD

As I mentioned in my posting of 30 Aug 2014  'As a young woman (my mother - Kath Worrall nee Goodison) worked in the office of the orginal Castle House which was bombed in the Sheffield blitz'. Whenever my mother or grandmothers referred to the pre-war shop it was always called City Stores, I even knew older friends of theirs who referred to the new Castle House as City Stores. Another interesting snippet, people often referrred to the Brightside and Carbrook Coop generally as the Stores. 'Weir did tha get thi shoes from?' 'From t'stooers.'

Paul Wazzie Worrall 

"Another interesting snippet, people often referred to the Brightside and Carbrook Coop generally as the Stores."

Yes, and also the Sheffield and Ecclesall Co-op.  My Grandmother regularly went shopping at the Bents Green "stores".

I was once invited to make up numbers on a "Stores" fishing trip where I found out that B & C stood for "Big & Clumsy" and S & E stood for "Slow & Easy".

When my meagre catch appeared to place me in the prize money I was ruled ineligible as I didn't work for either co-op.

HD