Trying to find my grandfather

grannypat

I have been on that site but I do find it difficult to use for some reason. I have never been able to access any information on there. It must be that my mind is wired differently.

It did occur to me that perhaps my grandfather might have spent some years in a hospital and that's why I can't find him but how could I check that? Having just jumped through various hoops to try to find details of an ancestor who spent almost 60 years of her life in Middlewood Hospital, and paid out £40.50 for the search, only to be given her hospital number and nothing else I am a little loath to do that again. He doesn't seem to have died in the period and area where I 'lost' him so I'm really not sure where to look now. The fact that I'm looking at a time during the 1930s makes life very difficult. It would have been easier a hundred years earlier me thinks.

I'm beginning to lose my mojo with this search. I have been looking for so long and have covered so much ground and got absolutely nowhere that it's very disheartening. 

Grannypat

I have been on that site but I do find it difficult to use for some reason. I have never been able to access any information on there. It must be that my mind is wired differently.

It did occur to me that perhaps my grandfather might have spent some years in a hospital and that's why I can't find him but how could I check that? Having just jumped through various hoops to try to find details of an ancestor who spent almost 60 years of her life in Middlewood Hospital, and paid out £40.50 for the search, only to be given her hospital number and nothing else I am a little loath to do that again. He doesn't seem to have died in the period and area where I 'lost' him so I'm really not sure where to look now. The fact that I'm looking at a time during the 1930s makes life very difficult. It would have been easier a hundred years earlier me thinks.

I'm beginning to lose my mojo with this search. I have been looking for so long and have covered so much ground and got absolutely nowhere that it's very disheartening. 

Grannypat

Have you gone down the spelling line of-Stephenson-there is a Edward F. dies 1930

Ah Pat, I'm so glad you like the picture.  Picture Sheffield date is as 1962/3, so you're quite right about it being early 60's.

Have you gone down the spelling line of-Stephenson-there is a Edward F. dies 1930

Hi Neddy,

Yes I've done that. The chap you've found lived on Tullibardine Road in 1911and 1925 and that was still his address when he died in 1930. My grandfather is shown as being a resident on Beeley Street in 1925 and Edward Foster Stephenson  is shown as a resident of Tullibardine Road for that same year. He was also a silversmith and so was his son after him. He seems to have been a family man and I don't think it is likely that he left a nice house on Tullibardine Road to live for nearly 20 years on Beeley Street. I must admit that I got quite excited about this chap when I first found him. He seemed such a strong possibility.

The Stephenson spelling is still a possible but the same problem applies. I need an age at a specific date so that I can find out where and when he was born. It was a good thought though and I thank you for taking the time to message me. Do you have any more thoughts? I'm really grateful for any suggestions.

Pat

Hi Lizziejampot, I am back at last. I have been unable to access this site for months. I shall now go back and search out the details of my ancestor who died in the workhouse and get back to you. Bet you thought that I had just forgotten or not bothered. So sorry for the delay. I really don't know what happened but just couldn't get on. According to posts on Sheffield Forum I wasn't the only one who had this problem. I'll get back to you asap.

Grannypat

I have looked at the 1939 data & there are only 4 Edward Stevenson's as far as I can see. None are described anything like a mechanical engineer. Only 2 were born before 1900 & if he had a child in 1913 then he couldn't have been born after, One born 1895 is a locomotive spring maker living at The Circle. The other born 1898 was a tramway motorman .living at Hollythorpe Rise. Both were married.

Not much help. Either he left Sheffield or went in the forces.

Thanks for doing that johnm. Where is The CIrcle? I can't say I've ever heard of it. My ES is described on all four childrens birth certs as a mechanical engineer. I'm not exactly sure what kinds of jobs this description could cover. Car mechanic, locomotive mechanic, steel works? Do you have any ideas?

I am also struggling to find my great uncle Fredrick smith he was in middlewood in the early 40's but I can not find any information on that - can anybody help me tips?? 

19 hours ago, Kelkel18 said:

I am also struggling to find my great uncle Fredrick smith he was in middlewood in the early 40's but I can not find any information on that - can anybody help me tips?? 

Did he live on Leppings Lane ?