Crawshaw Head Farm

tozzin

From "The Selected letters of Robert Bridges" :

LENNARD The Reverend W.R. 

A leech at Sheffield.  He owned a farmhouse near Sheffield called Crawshaw Head, where RB's friend Henry Bradley spent two years as a child companion to Lennard's son.

(Not sure what he means by leech?)

William Rodwell Lennard, born at Aston-cum-Aughton, aged 68 in 1911, totally blind since age 65, living in Salisbury on private means.

In June 1859 Mrs Lennard of Crawshaw Head, was one of the organisers of a Bazaar to be held in Sheffield, the aim of which was the establishment of a parsonage house at Bolsterstone.

Crawshaw_Head_1855.thumb.png.44d94236be5

The estate was up for sale in 1868 - the advertisement confirms that it was built by Dr Lennard

Crawshaw_Head_Advert_1868.thumb.png.00df

The 1861 census shows a William Lennard at Crawshaw, but born in Warwickshire, possible W.R's father?

1861_Census_Crawshaw.thumb.jpg.7dba8fc6d

In May 1876 the Independent reported that the prosecution of George Helliwell of Crawshaw Head under the Adulteration Act had failed, due to a problem with the samples.  His milk samples were marked D51, and whilst in transit to the Town Clerk, one bottle was cracked and some of the milk lost.  Instead of just replacing the bottle, the two inspectors took a completely different sample (D47) and overlabelled it D51.  As D47 was sound milk, analysis would have put Helliwell in the clear.  The Town Clerk had to apologise for the maladministration, and the case against Helliwell was dismissed.

In 1880 George Helliwell liquidated his business at Crawshaw Head, with debts of £850.

Crawshaw_Head_Sale_1880.thumb.png.76bea2

The 1881 census shows Crawshaw Head occupied by Albert Crapper (Lodge Keeper) and his wife Elizabeth.

In April 1882 Crawshaw Head was advertised "To Let".  It had lately been occupied by Henry Harrison Esq. By September 1896 it was advertised "to Let" again, the current occupier was Mr Hammond.

At the 1911 Census, Crawshaw Head was occupied by William Womack, a road labourer, but Crawshaw Head Farm was occupied by Charles Marsden, a farmer, with his family, a servant and three lodgers (one being William Nicholson, a molecatcher)

I'm glad you made the distinction between Crawshaw Head House and the farm. I tried to enlarge your map but it went out of focus. CHH was beside the road (Upper Gate Road?) and the farmhouse was about half a mile further back. I never went to the farm but I visited CHH many times in the late 1960's. I posted a photo on another thread.

The occupants then were George and Dorothy Hobson, 2 sons and a daughter who rented the house. Is there any way of checking the dates of their occupancy?

A couple of links to the Bradfield Archive.  Appears the freehold land was owned by Charles Brown of Charlotte Terrace in Sheffield (before the House was built).  He was at 56 Charlotte Street in 1837 - 41 and was a Steel Refiner, Mfr. of Fire Bricks & Dealer in Pot Clay - possibly he had the land for the clay extraction.

http://www.bradfieldarchives.co.uk/?id=4611&q=&parent=&h=1

http://www.bradfieldarchives.co.uk/?id=4454&q=&parent=&h=1

The Sheffield Archives hold ref X622 =- records of J & J Dyson, Stannington, Griff Works, Stannington. Producers of fireclay refractory materials. Established 1810. Directors (c. 1960): A. Lomas, F. Lomas and G.A. Lomas.  Employment and production records relating to fireclay extraction at Wheatshire Mine (Ughill, near Bradfield), Ughill and Top Cabin mines; quarrying at Crawshaw Head and Loftshaw quarries.

My great-great grandfather William Lennard M.D. (1803-1866) was born at the New Inn, Wroxton Heath, but after the death of his father in 1803 he moved with his mother and brother to Melbourne in Derbyshire where he went to school.  Seeking to be a doctor, he became apprenticed to a doctor in Melbourne and then obtained support to take a medical degree at Edinburgh (Distinction 1828), and moved to practice in Sheffield, where he met Sarah Rodwell, married in 1839, and raised a family (see below).  He was a well-known and successful doctor, and evidently a character, described after his death (from Diphtheria) in the Sheffield Telegraph with affection as ‘a very strange but very worthy man’.

Sarah Rodwell (1821-1902) was born at Fence Farm, Aston-cum-Aughton on 25 January 1821 shortly after the death of her father Robert Rodwell; her mother remained at Fence Farm even after her re-marriage to James Holland, but moved to Sheffield in c.1829.  At the age of 17 Sarah she eloped to Scotland with Dr. William Lennard and was married in Edinburgh in June 1839 (there being some uncertainty they married again in England in December 1839 when he returned to his medical practice in Sheffield).  She had three children Nora (1840), William (1843) and Vivian (1847).  They lived at various addresses in Sheffield and she was sometimes in Fence Cottage (where Vivian was born); in 1855 William built a house high on the moors outside Sheffield at Crawshaw, to where they moved.  Henry Bradley (later editor of the OED) lived with them for a couple of years in the late 1850s and acted as Vivian's tutor.  Dr. Lennard died suddenly in 1866, and she stayed in Crawshaw for two years before moving to Fence House and then back to Sheffield with her half-sister Mrs Morton (née Holland), where she was in the 1871 Census (described as ‘lodger’ and a ‘Land Coal Dealer’).  The royalties from the mine underneath her father’s farm produced a substantial income still in 1902.

More info and references if required!

JM - Oxford