Collector of bridge rates

tozzin

A friend of mine is researching their family history and one member is a Benjamin Champion Beet, in 1854 he's living at No 84 Wentworth St and he's a Collector of Bridge Rates, was this the toll for crossing a bridge?, any ideas on which bridge or what his job actually entailed? he was also the landlord of The Shakespeare on Shalesmoor and while here he was also a Pen & Pocketknife cutler.

Several bits of information from the Independent, some are the correct man and family, some may or may not be.  No mention of bridges though, but plenty of highways.

In December 1825 a “Benjamin Beet” was one of the signatories to a notice pledging to back the three Sheffield Banks and Rotherham Bank in case of a run on them, the intention being to boost confidence in their solvency.

In March 1830 a “Benjamin Beet” was a victualler on Gibraltar street

In August 1831 a “Benjamin Beet” was a signatory to a notice supporting John Parker (lawyer of Woodthorpe) as a parliamentary candidate

In March 1838 Benjamin was elected as a member of the third board for the repairs of the highways in the township of Sheffield

In January 1844 a notice was published which included a “Benjamin Beet” as being due to monies from a debt from 1837 owed by “Dean” of 1s 4d, which had been paid into the Court of Requests for the Manor of Sheffield.

In April 1839 at the Court Leet, Benjamin Beet was appointed as a special constable for Shepherd street

In March 1841 he was re-elected to Board of Sheffield – Surveyors of Highways – residence Shepherd street

In June 1850 Benjamin (Poor Rates Collector) was on trial accused of embezzlement (see cuttings), the case was dismissed as no evidence was offered.

On 21st February 1859 Benjamin’s widow Mary died at Shepherd street aged 76

On February 1st 1871 Benjamin Champion Beet died at his residence Crookes Mount aged 48.

On April 9th 1874 Benjamin’s eldest son Frederick William Beet married Helen Corbridge of Cobden View, at St George’s church

Charles Benjamin, youngest son of the late Benjamin C Beet died 26th April 1877

Sheffield Archives has document ref TT/64/1 and 2, title Conveyance land and property in Silver Street, Sheffield, the description is Robert Waterhouse to the Trustees.

20 square yards on the east side of Silver Street, Sheffield, with the two houses thereon in the occupation of William Hill the younger and William Holt; and a third of a yard of 31 square yards adjoining the above, which is jointly owned by Waterhouse as devisee in trust and Benjamin Beet and Jonathan Wilkinson.   For £90.  Reciting a deed of 1813.  Plan by J. Fairbank and Son, 1839Date   1 Oct 1839

Embezzlement_1850.thumb.png.5b7a582a8dff

Embezzlement_1850_2.thumb.png.3e5ce6ca99

From page 21 of :

A DESCRIPTION OF THE TOWN OF SHEFFIELD

in my remembrance wrote in the year 1832 at the time the Cholera was raging in Sheffield.

BY

JOSEPH WOOLHOUSE.

We will now return to the Bottom of Snig Hill to go to Bridge Houses.

The Street called Goulston Street going past the sign of the Punch Bowl, leaving Spring Croft on your left. Spring Croft from here was partly field on the right hand side and when you was going along this Street, on your right you could see across the fields into the Bridgehouses. At the far end of this .street turning up Bower Spring was a large Garden belonging to the Workhouse. At the bottom, on your right hand Corner going up, a little above, is yet Bower Spring, a running water which has supplied this end of the Town with good water before I was born. I have fetch'd many a hundred Gallons from it myself, to the top of Lambert Street. It was dry in the year 18??, but Mr. Benj, Beet, a particular friend of mine, lived at Sign of the Shakespear and many of the water troughs is in his backyard under ground. He applied to the Town Trustees concerning this and they order'd him to make such search for this water as in his Judgment was best. After much labour and expense they found it again to the joy of the whole neighbourhood. It was above 3 months quite dry (this he told me himself) and it now runs as plentiful as ever. It was never known to fail before that time.