Westbury 1645

boginspro

I knew Westbury Street off Staniforth Road, Attercliffe but never knew where the name came from. I just came across this 1645 map which appears to show a Manor house of Westbury. All the other names on the map appear to relate to a modern district but as far as I know Westbury only relates to a modern street. Any information please? Map (C) South Yorkshire Through Time,      http://www.southyorkshirethroughtime.org.uk/content/project/the-sheffield-jungle

westbury_1645.png

Joseph Hunter (in Chapter 6 of his Hallamshire The History and Topography of the Parish of Sheffield) reckoned that the map-maker Speed confused the name Washford - where the Don was bridged, inventing Westbury and a village to go with it. 

According to Peter Harvey's book, Westbury Street was named after Richard Bethell, 1st Lord Westbury, Liberal MP, and Solicitor General 1861, one af a group of streets named after famous lawyers. Some have since disappeared, but they were named Chelmsford, Jessel, Palmer, Roundel, Selbourne and Westbury. So a coincidence?

According to Peter Harvey's book, Westbury Street was named after Richard Bethell, 1st Lord Westbury, Liberal MP, and Solicitor General 1861, one af a group of streets named after famous lawyers. Some have since disappeared, but they were named Chelmsford, Jessel, Palmer, Roundel, Selbourne and Westbury. So a coincidence?

Thanks,  Bayleaf   I am glad that's sorted it was bugging me.