Rustlings Farm and Hunter House Farm

duckweed

I am trying to untangle the two histories of these farms and the history of Endcliffe park. Its not helped by the fact that according to Trade directories & census records one man seemed to have farmed both. His name was William Roberts and was son in law to the Plant family who were in turn linked by marriage to Thomas Newbould who had a works at Lescar wheel. There is a suggestion that Newbould had Hunters House and Plant had Rustlings Farm. Certainly there is a mention of a Benjamin Plant renting off land adjoining land to Rustlings to a James Beal in 1802. James Beal is down in a trade directory in 1828 as being a scissor manufacturer at Rustling Park. 

"Benjamin Plant, and his presumed brother John, had been awarded small allotments in the 1788 Ecclesall Act,  Benjamin’s allotment was only around 439 square yards but its location holds some interest. Its location is shown on a map in a book by Carolus Paulus and it appears in a later, more detailed 1850 map to be near a few trees called ‘Rustling Place’ where a track led from Greystones Road about 500 yards northwards to ‘Rustling Farm’ past a few buildings called the ‘Rustlings’"

Rustlings Farm seems to be also called Rustling Park.  Robert Younge of Greystones appears to have bought the land adjoining Rustlings Farm ie the woodland which he later sold to city for £5'232 in 1885. Part of Rustlings Farm was already the Tennis club as it was founded in 1883. Rustlings Farm was bought in 1887 as an extention to Endcliffe Park (Hence the jubilee stone near the Tennis Court.)

Earliest documentary reference I can get to Rustlings Farm is when called Rustling Parke in 1738 when the heir of John Stone formerly of little Sheffield sold the land to George Marriot cutler and Christopher Cowley.     

"whereby certain closes called Rustling Parkes, containing 5a 2r 32phs, situate in Ecclesall, between Porter Water northwards and a certain common or waste called Brencliffe Edge Common southwards ; formerly  divided into four or five parts, with a cottage built thereon, then long since demolished ; which premises were then late in the occupation of Henry Young, and were then in the possession of the said Abell (sic) Heurtelen and Dinah or their tenant Jonathan Woollen ; which closes were formerly the estate and inheritance of John Stones late of Little Sheffield in the parish of Sheffield deceased, great uncle of the above said John Stones deceased, father of the said Dinah, and were given and devised, by the will of the said John Stones the uncle, unto the said John Stones his nephew, the said father of the said Dinah ; were released unto the said George Marriott his heirs and assigns for ever. Witnesses : Jno Greaves, Isaac Nodder"

I seem unable to get back earlier or any detail of neighbouring Hunter's House Farm. I know there is remains of quarrying behind Hunters's house and Hunter's house is said to be built in 1700 with earlier history than that but the only reference I have found is in 1880 a Thomas Daniel has lost a pig in Endcliffe woods and says he is from Hunters Farm.  

So any more info on origins of Hunters House and Rustlings Farm? Any earlier references maps you know of?

Here is Map No 2 from the 1788 Ecclesall Enclosure:

Ecclesall_Enclosure_Award_Map_no_2.thumb

I would say that plot 251 is Rustling Farm (compare with the 1855 OS Map below).  Plot 251 is within plot 250. Plot 250 was 0acres, 2 rood, 23 perches and was allocated to George Bustard Greaves.  Plot 251 was 0 acres, 1 rood, 1 perch and was allocated to John Nodder. (the areas on the map don't correspond with the areas quoted - plot 250 looks much bigger).  However the interesting point is that the two landowners who were allocated the land were Greaves & Nodder - compare with the witnesses names on the 1738 transfer - also Greaves and Nodder. John Nodder (of "Sharra Head" Attorney,Town Trustee from 1739, Towns Collector in 1745, died 10 Aug 1772) and his brother Isaac Nodder (of Handsworth Woodhouse) were the sons of John Nodder (died 1732 a lead merchant of Handsworth Woodhouse). The full Nodder geneaology can be found on pages 689-691 of Vol 2 Familiae Minorum Gentium

Here is an advert for Rustling Park in 1832 - it states that it was recently occupied by Messrs. Willis and is in the possession of the trustees of the Infirmary - possibly records are in the archives giving details of this holding.

Rustling_Park_1832.thumb.png.31ef153cb2f

1855_Map_Rustlings.thumb.png.fb77341edf0

Found this in archive catalogues 

Title:

Deed to bar the entail

Reference:

YWD 2128/2

Description:

Jemima Nodder of Marsh Green in the parish of Ashover, the Rev. Joseph Nodder of the Rectory of Ashover, clerk, and Jane Nodder of Marsh Green, spinster, the children of John and Jemima Nodder, to John Charge of Chesterfield, Derbyshire esquire. Rustling Parks and the other lands in their mother's marriage settlement, in trust to uses, the entail thereby being barred

Date:

11 May, 1841

Reference:

YWD 2284/1-3

Description:

Agreement. Alfred Wilson of Westbrook, Sheffield, esquire, to Joseph Waterhouse Goodwin of Sheffield, estate agent. Land in Sheffield part of the Hunter House estate [fronting Psalter Lane from Hunter House Road to what is now the Roslyn Court Hotel] on building lease, confirming an agreement made by his late father Henry Wilson, but taking back into his own possession certain portions of the land, the necessary rents etc. being paid up. 20 May, 1886. Plan.

Copies of two agreements concerning individual plots, 1875 and 1885

Sign of one of the Snuff mills involvement but imagine that is when they were building houses up Hunter's House Road and possibly Sharrow Lane. Can't find my Mary Walton's history of Sharrow to see if she has any references.

Guest steve1963

Might not be particularly relevant, but I have a fair bit of info about the Younge family as a result of my research into Edge End which formerly stood on Archer Lane, Brincliffe, near the present Scout hut. Robert Younge's brother, Samuel, lived there after moving from Gatefield House. Don't recall any references to Endcliffe Park /Rustlings farm though.