Surviving Air Raid structures and sirens

Calvin72

There have been a few threads about various aspects of Air Raid shelters but I want to collect pictures and reports of the surviving infrastructure. In the wall of an industrial building near Moorfoot there is a visible shelter entrance (it is featured somewhere on the 'Mystery Location' and 'Drainspotting' threads). However the other day I saw an identical feature outside a building on the corner of the Ring Road and Wilkinson Street. Anyone else noticed this before?

ring road shelter.jpg

ring road shelter close up.jpg

Continuing, I have recently walked past a great brick shelter in the front garden of 11 Tinker Lane, Bole Hill. It appears to be part underground and is easily seen from the road and 'Street View'. Also on Eyre Lane in the City Centre is this siren - is it WW2 or just a time signal for shift beginning/end?

eyre lane siren.jpg

There have been a few threads about various aspects of Air Raid shelters but I want to collect pictures and reports of the surviving infrastructure. In the wall of an industrial building near Moorfoot there is a visible shelter entrance (it is featured somewhere on the 'Mystery Location' and 'Drainspotting' threads). However the other day I saw an identical feature outside a building on the corner of the Ring Road and Wilkinson Street. Anyone else noticed this before?

ring road shelter.jpg

ring road shelter close up.jpg

I worked in this building for around six months in 1960/1 when it was Reeves Charlesworth Builders offices, but I wasn't interested in history then but the cover looks like the one on the wall of what was Needham Veal & Tyzacs cutlery firm on Milton St.

My reply does look a bit wrong on Calvins post, not as easy as before to quote.

​I have corrected it for you tozzin.