Looking for a picture/painting

RichardB

Crucible teemer maybe ? Man lifting a crucible, MASSIVE overdevelopment of arm muscles.

Ta.

Picture s10787 is the usual way of foundry casting with the man pouring having a handlebar type arrangement to tilt the crucible to pour the metal into the mould. Unfortunately the photo does not show the man at the left holding the crucible tongs and acting as a pivot to the pouring. He would have opened the crucible tongs to fit them around the crucible then slid a metal ring around the two legs to keep pressure on the crucible without him having to keep squeezing them by hand.

Guess who used to repair melting furnaces?

I think that I might have some recollection of the painting that you are looking for, although I must admit that that recollection is a little vague at the moment.

I seem to recall that the painting in question was a little stylised, through clearly, a very accurate portrayal of crucible teeming and I am reasonably sure that it has been published, quite possibly in a past book, or guide about Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet.

I would guess from memory, that the picture was intended to portray this activity as it existed in the late nineteenth century, and was possibly, but not certainly painted at that time.

My most abiding memory of the image was that the "teemer" had inserted his handkerchief into his mouth, as a means to mitigate the effects of the fumes coming out of the furnace top.

A very atmospheric portrayal as I recall and one that was very akin in its style to the series of paintings commissioned by and marketing images produced by Brown Baileys in the 1920's, although I am pretty sure that it was not one of theirs.

Possibly inspiration for the Meadowhall statues?